Nero LiquidTV | TiVo PC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nero LiquidTV | TiVo PC

I debated on posting this, but in the end decided to because it might be a good option for some people wanting to do a HTPC easily.

Pretty much the deal is TiVo can be run on your computer, and with this kit you get that and a PCI TV tuner. But the fact that you have to pay a subscription to keep the TV guide is a bit annoying.

Links:
    Nero LiquidTV / TiVo PC brings TiVo interface to the PC

Ars Technica Plays with LiquidTV/TiVo PC, Thinks It's Pretty Good

Nero LiquidTV | TiVo PC gets unboxed

The thought of getting this so that I could quickly and easily put shows on an Iphone is a bit apealing, but it looks like it is still not very good:

• Exporting—The ability to export to PSP or iPod was a plus on paper, but the execution wasn't so great. Ars said that even with a 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo and 8 GB of RAM on a Mac Pro, it took even longer than the minute of conversion for minute of content that TiVo PC suggested. Secondly, the lack of customizable encoding options and automated uploading to devices detracted from a good experience.
    But as always, the reader comments are very informative, and they all bring up BeyondTV and other programs and possibly better options.

I am still keeping an eye on the new ASUS card, and the reviews are starting to look pretty good, but I still haven't come across a real tech site review yet:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815293002

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Nero LiquidTV | TiVo PC

I'm looking to get into the PVR on PC world and saw the Engadget post about this a couple of days ago. After researching, seems as though Mythbuntu will be the best solution for what I'm looking for...

Comment

that sounds kinda interesting. I am still trying to figure out how to setup a media server that I can store shows from my tivo and easily access while away from home.

|TG-IRR|

Comment

Sounds like an interesting technical demonstration, in that they took a Linux-based product and made it work under Windows.

Anyone remember the Video Toaster? It was a great piece of software and hardware for the Amiga that let you do all kinds of nifty broadcast-quality video effects with cheap hardware. It made it possible for every producer at a TV station to have his own effects machine, instead of the whole station sharing one big expensive one.

But the big computer for "media" people at the time was the original Mac, and they'd have nothing to do with that game toy upstart.

Until the Toaster people came up with the clever idea of licensing the Amiga electronics and turning it and the original Toaster hardware into a Mac add-in board. The Mac zealots thought they were running a Mac program, when the Mac was just a power supply and some video plumbing to present an Amiga hiding inside.
        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

the one I have been following is LinuxMCE . It looks amazing. One of these days I'll build a system for it.
          Retired 6th DB

Comment

Wow, that does look pretty good

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Just another quick update/review since some people were interested:

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/10/15...ivo-pc-review/

For another update to the ASUS tuner card I mention above, it looks like ASUS just released another new one:
              ASUS My Cinema-PHC3-100/NAQ/FM/AV/RC TV Tuner Card PCI Interface - Retail

It looks to be designed to work with vista really well.
              I hope some major tech sites do reviews for these cards soon.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I've been considering getting rid of my HVR-1600 and my PVR-180 cards, and picking up a much better... TV tuner card... whatever that card may be :P

Originally posted by DigitalAssassin View Post
                I'm looking to get into the PVR on PC world and saw the Engadget post about this a couple of days ago. After researching, seems as though Mythbuntu will be the best solution for what I'm looking for...
                The PVR I bought for compatibility with MythTV, and the HVR was for Digital tuning when I finally decided to move to a Vista MCE box. Now that I'm pretty sure I'll be sticking with a Windows platform DVR (mostly because of my troubles with MythBuntu and MythTV in general...) I don't have to worry about hardware compatibility. I'm going to be giving SageTV another whirl in the next week or two.

The Comcast box still renders better quality broadcasts (which I suppose I shouldn't be surprised...) and no matter how weak or strong the signal is, the HVR card always exhibits audio hiss. Lastly, I'm not impressed with the quality especially on analog channels.
                "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X