Media server ideas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Media server ideas

Here is the thing. I am away from home quite often, but I have alot of shows I like to watch that I cant get access to from outside the US. Unless I want to download them from torrent. Which I have done while I was in Kosovo. What I would like to do, is be able to setup a server that can interact with my stock tivo and I can access from outside of my lan. Ideas?

|TG-IRR|

Re: Media server ideas

so nothing? where are the tech geeks I keep seeing here?

|TG-IRR|

Comment

You could have googled 'media server' for some ideas. ;)

http://tversity.com/ - I've heard TVersity to be pretty good. Give it a try.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Not everyone in the H&S forum uses a PC for a DVR or media server. I am one of the people that does, though. I use Vista Media Center. I kept it that way because my ex is technophobic but now that I am far away from my ex... hehe... I'm going to be using SageTV. Which is much more powerful, doesn't save things in a proprietary format, and has it's own internet streaming provisioning built-in.

You can use a laptop with Windows Vista Ultimate, as a "Media Extender" and play stuff from your main Media Center PC, but there's no provisioning for the internet streaming.

Most people, to keep it simple, just use a Slingbox.
        "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
        Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Get a Slingbox Pro HD..!

Comment

thanks for all the input guys. Slingbox is a no go, as I cant access my Tivo while its recroding or if my wife is watching. The rest of the ideas arent too bad, but I am on XP and I dont want to lug all of my videos with me.

And Sarc, if you dont have anything positive, please keep it to yourself. I have googled and did not find what I was looking for, so I figured this would be a good place as any to start. But I am finding more and more, this is not the case.

So what I did was build a system with WHS. Got onto www.orb.com and used their streaming software. Works quite nicely for being able to access everything on the server from anywhere. Get with me if anyone would like to know more.

|TG-IRR|

Comment

Originally posted by birdie_in_Texas View Post
              Get a Slingbox Pro HD..!
              beat me to it.

get a tivo and a hdd DVR.

edit slingbox - not tivo.
              Last edited by =DdogG=; 10-24-2008, 11:36 AM.
              Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
              The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by Beinseth View Post
                thanks for all the input guys. Slingbox is a no go, as I cant access my Tivo while its recroding or if my wife is watching. The rest of the ideas arent too bad, but I am on XP and I dont want to lug all of my videos with me.

And Sarc, if you dont have anything positive, please keep it to yourself. I have googled and did not find what I was looking for, so I figured this would be a good place as any to start. But I am finding more and more, this is not the case.

So what I did was build a system with WHS. Got onto www.orb.com and used their streaming software. Works quite nicely for being able to access everything on the server from anywhere. Get with me if anyone would like to know more.
                You should mention that you've googled and found programs or solutions that don't apply to your situation (Slingbox suggestion). It saves others from making suggestions that waste your time. ;)

I suggested TVersity so it's not like I didn't contribute.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

MythTV offers the SLingbox-Like ability, and is more fully-featured than VMC as well as it records in the MP2 format instead of Microsoft's proprietary. However, it takes a little more time to configure is all :)
                  "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams

Comment

I havent looked into TVersity. But I think I have found what I am looking for.

Thanks guys for the ideas. I am looking to eventually grow to a full blown media server that supports multiple devices in the house. So I really was looking for a server based solution, guess I should have mentioned that.

I want to get to the point where every room in the house has a controller of some sort, music, videos, whatever...based on what kinda devices are in each room. So working out from a central server that can be accessed by other devices inside or outside of the house is the beginning.

|TG-IRR|

Comment

Many solutions, including MythTV, allow you to do a back-end only install (server-only with no client front-end). For those machines that simply sit in the closet, and have other machines that do the presentation work.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X