New Comp and free Vista Problems to boot! :D...:\

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Comp and free Vista Problems to boot! :D...:\

Well my new comp is built and looks amazing! However, when I go to load vista I get smacked in the face by the icy hand of fate....it hurt too....Anyway, I boot up from the DVD (should also add that this is a freshly built machine, just updated BIOs and such, no OS or anything on it) and everything works beautifully....till it gets to the actual installation part....once it begins to "expand files" it will get to some random percent (once it got to 68%, once 14%, once 0%, once 12% and once 38%) and freeze completely, making me have to start the whole process over. I've read about removing some components (RAM and even Video card) to install with the bare minimum of specs (something about Vista installing better with 2gb of ram or less in the comp....not sure how that works, but I'm pretty damn desperate at this point). I've tried that and it only did the same thing. I have no earthly idea (or unearthly for that matter) what could be wrong. Any help would be great!

The comp specs are: Quad-Core AMD phenom x4, 8GB of RAM, 1000GB HDD, 850W PSU, GeForce 8800 GT, ASUS M3N-HD/HDMI Motherboard and hopefully soon Vist Ultimate 64-bit....

Re: New Comp and free Vista Problems to boot! :D...:\

Is it a new vista CD from Microsoft or is it a burned copy you made? All I can think is you burned the CD to fast and it is missing parts and not completing the install.

Comment

its a brand spanking new Vista Ultimate 64 bit OEM cd.... :\

Comment

The percentage bar will jump around from one percentage to another, that's completely normal.

You shouldn't have to do anything until Vista prompts you, which should be after the first or second restart.

As for freezing, give it some time. The entire install process takes about 40 minutes to 1.5 hours depending on the efficiency of your machine and the version of Vista you're installing.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

install with one stick of ram. I've heard of +4GB messing things up.

I hope that rig is for more than gaming
          Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Originally posted by Reaperassault View Post
            install with one stick of ram. I've heard of +4GB messing things up.

I hope that rig is for more than gaming
            That should have been fixed by Vista SP1 and it only applies to 32-bit versions of Vista, not the 64-bit versions.

It's probably mostly for gaming and it seems like he's trying to futureproof his rig. I see he also got a overkill PSU (guessing he plans on SLI/Crossfire) and enough storage to start his own mini file sharing home server (massive downloader?).

Unless he does plan on working with something like Maya...then I could see a use for 8 GB of RAM and 1 TB of storage (or as a media server, but highly unlikely seeing how he has a 8800GT).
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I do intend on going SLI with it, and it will be used for a long time and for much much more than gaming....though gaming will be at the top of the list for when its first finished :p......anyway, I've left it on when frozen for a good 8 or so hours (went to work...no worries, had some friends babysit it and report to me at all times) it froze at 68 % that time around and didn't move for several more hours....i've also tried booting with 2gb...then 4 gb of ram....and no luck :\

Comment

That definitely sounds like a memory error to me.

Which brand and model motherboard are you using? What brand and model is your RAM?

Is your current RAM on the Qualified Vendor's List (QVL) of your motherboard manual?

OR

Have you tried running Memtest86+ on your RAM?

Lastly, have you correctly set the voltage and timings of your RAM in BIOS?
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

This sounds like the exact problem Switch had. Shoot him a PM to find out more about what he did:
                  http://www.tacticalgamer.com/member.php?u=15690

Just as a quick test though, try doing the install from a different optical drive, or maybe even another after that if the 2nd one doesn't work. I read a forum post the other day that pointed out some even just recently older drives don't do well with Vista, and can cause the install to hang.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Asus Motherboard M3N-HD/HDMI and Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Ram, its very possible that I miss set the Timing or Voltage when I think about it, I'm gonna play around with that and see if it proves fruitful. If not then I'm gonna smack my head against a wall and play with the optical drive.

Comment

I have the same ram. Just set it to 2.1V

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Well, it seems the powers that be hate me.....I fix the voltage and I was fairly confident that things would go well...then I get to the part of the install where i have to choose the drive i want to load vista on and it now won't read my HDD.....and I believe my HDD could have died....works one day dead the next....cruel life is...

Comment

I doubt your HDD died. If it did, you would not be able to get Windows to install in the first place since the files are all copied to the hard disk.

Try disconnecting the first drive you used, and leave the DVD in the second drive. Sometimes some DVD drives don't play well with certain motherboards.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I had to take out all but 1 stick of RAM to get mine to load..then when I got all the updates and stuff installed, I put all 8 gigz back in..no problems now..but I had a HECKUVA time installing at first..

Comment

heya shiv, I doubt the hard drive died as well. I would do all the suggestions here and maybe even reset your bios to default just to make sure and start again.

Good to see you on the forums here!

- -

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...