X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft DreamSpark offers Windows Server 2008 Free for Students

This just popped up on Slickdeals

Windows Server 2008 Free for Students from Microsoft DreamSpark

I have read in some tech forums that IT guys really like Server 2008, and use it instead of using Vista, but with a bunch of tweaks to make it more like a normal desktop OS. If you know what you are doing and think you are up for trying it, hey, it's free. But I wouldn't download this thinking you are getting a free Vista. In the right hands it is supposed to work well though. Let us know if you give it a try.:D

Here is the Microsoft homepage:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...s/default.aspx

You can also download a free trial version at that link, and give it a try if you have an old computer sitting around with good enough specs to run it.

There is also a bunch of other programs, but most won't be useful the average joe, like Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition, and Virtual PC 2007, and stuff.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Microsoft DreamSpark offers Windows Server 2008 Free for Students

Nice Bamboo, thanks! Downloading now :).

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

Very nice. :)

I'm going to download a copy on campus since the connection there is so much faster.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

http://www.win2008workstation.com/wordpress/
        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

This sounds good

Probably you are thinking at the moment: “Why the heck should I use Windows Server 2008 as my Workstations Operating System?? Vista works fine for me…”.

The answer is clear: Windows Server 2008 has almost exactly the same features as Windows Vista (SP1), but is remarkably faster and more stable! People say: “It’s Windows Vista without the bloat“!
          and

The conclusion?

WS2008 used roughly 2/3 the amount of ram Vista did, which is probably one of the contributors to improved memory performance in WS2008 (about 7.5% average in SiSandra’s tests). Memory access time is noticeably better, especially in terms of the latency of access at higher ranges.

I saw between a 10-15% increase in the speed of real world application running time as well as similar increase in software which runs on a virtual machine, such as .Net.

Benchmarks which are more directly bound to the processor (such as SiSandra’s multimedia tests) are essentially even between machines, no significant edge either way there.

In general, WS2008 feels much more responsive than Vista does - its very noticeable. I think it actually may be good enough to use on my machines - either before or after XP goes out of servicing, but I’ll need to use it more to make a final call. From my initial look, it seems like a much better option for advanced users than Vista.

Which brings one final point. With XP being easier for novice users (it tends to “just work” more often), and WS2008 being the better choice for advanced users (as word gets out), where does this leave Vista. Is it the best choice for anyone?

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I think it's partly a marketing ploy to get Vista more onto systems of users who haven't switched.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I have used Server 2003 as a desktop, and will be attempting to use it again with SageTV. There's all sorts of guides on what to enable, etc.

But this is a good link, I should try that out...
              "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
              Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Must.....resist.....buying...new....harddrive....f or....triple-boot....

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X