Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pretty awesome laptop for cheap @ Best Buy!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pretty awesome laptop for cheap @ Best Buy!

Got one this past weekend..

Acer Aspire 4735-4624...$399

16" 16:9 wide-screen
    2.0ghz dual core (intel)
    2-gigz 667mhz RAM
    Vista Home Premium (32)bit
    only 160GB 5400 rpm sata HS
    8X DVD DL burner
    Wireless "N"
    Bluetooth
    says 4, but only has 3 USB plugs
    has the little SD card reader thing built on side as well..

I am way more than thrilled with this...it only has 2-gigz o-ram, but it is plenty fast..boots to desktop in about 30 seconds or so..

What sucked was getting rid of the "bloatware" but was no big deal, just took the time to get it done.

I have to say its strongest feature is the screen..it is amazing..I am not sure, but it seems to up-convert ripped DVD movies and it is freakin crazy..

Everything seems fine, I still cannot figure out why it was only $399 instead of $999 like the comparable models I looked at. The only difference I find is it has 2 gigz of RAM instead of 3..

Re: Pretty awesome laptop for cheap @ Best Buy!

I saw that deal on the tech sites as well. If I hadn't gotten a laptop a few months ago, might have picked one up as well. It has N wireless, and you can probably add more RAM.

And I think you forgot the link:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218012528210
    Last edited by Bamboo; 10-07-2008, 04:09 PM.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

That's a good find. You can usually pick up an Acer for around $400 where the next comparable priced machine will be around $500. I have an Acer that I got for last Christmas and it has been a great machine for writing documents and surfing the web. I won't be playing games on it and it works great for most tasks.
      Retired 6th DB

Comment

Thanks Bamboo! :)

And it certainly is no gamer..but I don't use Laptops to try and game with..EPIC FAIL..that is why I have my "big boy box" witht he 4870 in it! :)

It seems like I am going to find some horrible flaw with this thing, but so far..it is just perfect..!

Comment

battery life
          video card
          durability

these are all notorious Acer flaws.
          Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
          The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

the battery life so far has been over 2 hours..never run it to shut down..just watched dvd movies..

the video is way better than it has to be for what i need, it is the intel chipset..i have a couple of gamer boxes to play games on...

durability is up in the air..it is still brand new, no time to tear it up yet! :)

Comment

/me wonders how fast it can build a Linux kernel....

:p
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Nice find, just told my mom to pick it up since she's been looking for one ever since she cracked the screen in her old acer :(.

Acer's are a bit flimsy from what I've seen, but as long as you're careful (it's a laptop, you should be careful anyways) and you only expect to use it for basic tasks like internet and notes it's a great machine for the price!

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

Originally posted by thegreatnardini View Post
                  Nice find, just told my mom to pick it up since she's been looking for one ever since she cracked the screen in her old acer :(.

Acer's are a bit flimsy from what I've seen, but as long as you're careful (it's a laptop, you should be careful anyways) and you only expect to use it for basic tasks like internet and notes it's a great machine for the price!
                  Agreed. I have owned two and they have been great. The first one did have a problem with the LCD. A red line appeared all the way down the screen. I called Acer and sent it in for repair and I had it bach the same week I sent it in. It was outstanding service and much better than I expected from a lower end company.

My main work computer at home is an Acer laptop that runs Ubuntu (dual booted with Vista). I haven't had to do a kernel build yet but everything worked out of the box except for the wifi and compiz-fusion. I simply had to enable the proprietary firmware for the wifi. Compiz-fusion was a bit more complicated since the laptop uses an Intel chipset for video and the drivers were blacklisted. Normally I wouldn't have worried with it but I wanted the Windows users to fear my rotating cube of awesome.
                  Retired 6th DB

Comment

So I was going to put Unbuntu on this weekend..

I am complete linux newb..you think I can get this to work on this laptop?

Comment

It's really easy to tryout. Download the live cd and boot off of that. It will be really slow but it will also allow you to try it out without installing anything at all.
                      Retired 6th DB

Comment

Hey, Birdie --

Have you tried loading BF2 on that thing? Think it would run?

Comment

I went in store to look at it yesterday, and the sales guy kept hovering over me trying to impress me with his computer knowledge. Very annoying. But I did find out that it has 2 memory slots, and right now they are both filled up. That would make it harder to go up to 4 gigs, as you would have to just buy a whole new 4 gig kit, or you could just buy 1 stick and move up to 3 gigs.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Yep..got me a couple fo' cheapo from Fry's..am gonna install this weekend :)

I have been told that the thing is "enough" to run games..but I do not know which ones..certainly it would never do Crysis, but it "might" do BF2 pretty good..It is a lot more machine than my old box that I played BF2 on, except for video, and it had an old AGP 68800LE in it..so who knows..it might make BF2 fly!

Comment

I found a review of a guy playing COD4 on it.

Because it has 1.8gb shared ram for the video card your really going to need to trim down the apps that are running so you arent too thin on the ram.

I almost went and picked one up yesterday but the wife told me fun money account is empty since I bought a new Kimber 45. Darn!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X