Best Bang for the Buck vid card?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Bang for the Buck vid card?

I'm thinking of doing an incremental upgrade to my system. I would like to get the best 'bang for the buck' upgrade I can.

I would be coming from a 7900gs, so it'd have to be something that would be a noticable upgrade over that. I'll still be on XP, though, so no DX10 concerns. My CPU will not likely be a bottleneck, as it's a dual-core AMD.

Thanks much!

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Re: Best Bang for the Buck vid card?

I always found Tom's hardware to be pretty unbiased when it comes to their information. Plus every month they do a best bang for your buck video card broken down by price range.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...Card,2033.html
    Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

Honestly, the 8800GT's are so cheap now, it is hard to pass them up..

For a ridiculous amount of goodness, the Radeon 1GB 4870 is just amazing, but it costs a LOT more, but I have to admit it, even though I am not ATI fan, it is a freaking awesome card...and I like it more and more each day..

Comment

I've been running a 8800 GT with an AMD 4400+ (2.0 GHz) for about a year now, and its been beautiful! Actually can handle Crysis pretty well with some fairly nice eye candy turned on (med/high/very high settings) and get about 30 FPS for the most part. Handles all other games very well at 1440x900.

What size monitor are you running?

Comment

My first question is always what resolution do you play at and do you intend to upgrade your monitor anytime soon?

Assuming you play at 1680x1050 I would suggest the 4850 as it can be found for slightly more then a 8800GT. However there have been a few good sales here and there on the 8800GT which make it a strong bargain.

The 4870 is a great card as Birdie pointed out and at 1680x1050 will show some gains over the 4850 but your going to be spending an additional $80-$100 on it. Money well spent but the 4850 will be a solid card for the money allowing for some eye-candy, but not max settings.

Comment

The better question is what resolution do you normally play at Tempus?

I also have to second the 8800GT, but also recommend the 9800GT as well. It seems manufacturers are slowly phasing out the 8800GTs, so you if buy next year, you might be forced to get a 9800GT instead (for about $10 more).
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I have a 24" Dell. So, 1920x1200 would be ideal, but I know that's asking a lot.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Gunner has the 512 meg version of my 4870, and he plays no a 42" monitor at that resolution, and in CoD4, he is always around/over the 100fps mark..I avg 130-250fps in-game @ 1680 X 1050 with the game option completely cranked up.

The 4870 is a great card for now, and for maybe even a couple years to come IMHO. I have 8800gt's in other boxes and to be honest, they cannot compare to how good the 4870 makes that particular game look.

Comment

4870 for that resolution
                  Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

As the others said, above 1680x1050 you need a 4870 or even a 280GTX (for the right price :row__579: )

Comment

I'm still gaming with my 8800GT at 1920x1200. I don't know how much longer it'll last but FPS has been great with ArmA. Assassin's Creed fared very well. I doubt Crysis would be able to handle it.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I am going with a 4870 1GB.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814131120

Comment

Well i haven't seen any mention of the gtx 260 for you tempus but I got one and it's mind blowing and for the prices you can find them now, so worth it.

Can't forget the physx support now as well. Dunno if ati cards will get it but it's still a perk.

8800 GT's are good cards but they can't handle this years games that well.

- -

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X