X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok..I got Ubuntu installed..now what?

Well..it seems to be running fine..

but now what..?

Can anyone suggest any "neat" and "cool" things to do with it..?

I have not a clue what I am doing with it at this point, but I want to "learn" linux..or at least this distro of it..

Any suggestions will be appreciated..

birdie :)

Re: Ok..I got Ubuntu installed..now what?

Heh, perfect timing, as I'm setting up my partitions tonight to get things going tomorrow.

I've been dual booting on my laptop for most of the year, and have loved it so far.

One of my main goals is to get MythTV working with TV tuner card I just bought, and to have a more personalized desktop to work with when I don't need Windows.

What exactly are you looking for? Do you want a more customized GUI/desktop? Different programs?

Check out www.gnome-look.org for desktop themes and whatnot, some nice things there.

Also, the Ubuntu forums are very full of info and help: http://ubuntuforums.org/

Comment

Haha Birdie, you sound like a kid Christmas morning with a new toy. :D

Not sure what you are looking for as far as cool stuff to do with it. Using it on older systems so they run faster is one of the best uses. Like for setting up a home theater PC as mentioned above. But pretty much it is just a light resource OS, and considering you are using it on a monster gaming rig that has no problem with Vista, not sure what cool things you can do with it that you couldn't do easier with Vista.

Hopefully the other guys here have some ideas, cause I would be happy to play around with it some more too if they do.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

If you are having trouble with Vista you can boot it up and ensure that it is not the hardware. I have done this in the past. I have a Unix bootable CD just for this purpose.
        The Old Guy
        kin3
        sigpic

Comment

The only thing that is not awesome is the Wireless..It does not even show in the "list" that it exists..

so no wireless tot he router..have been searching the Ubuntu forums and there is NOTHING that I can find for my particular driver, but I do have a few leads to try tonite..

If all else fails, I plug in my little usb wireless N dongle and see if I can ge that working..

Mostly I want to become familiar..seeing all these weirdo file extensions and stuff freaks me out..I wanna "know" what they are and what they do and how to install and un-tar, etc..

That is what I am out to do..become familiar..I also wnat to get to the point where I uninstall windows on the laptop period. It already has most everything on it now that I would need to do "laptop" things with, but becoming "familiar" with Linux is my main goal I guess..

Down the road, I want to be able to setup and run/maintain a Linux server at the house..I can get a static IP, and it would be uber awesome if I could setup a server there on my big connection and be able to use it for family geneaolgy and have the family use a forum for staying in contact and posting pics and stuff..I could provide them email addresses, ftp, all that..

Anyways..this is a learning experience for me, so anything you guys know of that is "cool" please chime in! :)

Thanks!

birdie:)

Comment

I'll call you about this.

Is this for you or your daughter?

Comment

birdie, just make sure it is cool with your ISP. I know just about all of them will toss you if you have a server, as they want you to be running with a business account if you want to do that.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by HAZMAT View Post
                I'll call you about this.

Is this for you or your daughter?
                Nope..just for me..she has my old one and just uses it for her Spongebob game! hahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                  birdie, just make sure it is cool with your ISP. I know just about all of them will toss you if you have a server, as they want you to be running with a business account if you want to do that.

Yep..I had issues with them before when I had the CS servers running from the house..and that was way back when my 1.5mbit connection was "huge"..! hahahhaah

I can get 16mbit down/2.5mbit up if I need it..but I think my 10/1.5 will suffice.. :)

Comment

Reason why I ask...

I installed Ubuntu and then put Edumbuntu on top of it and I like Edu so much more! Better games and the apps are actually fun and can do it with the kids.

My XPS laptop now has a 80gb drive with Ubuntu but still trying to get bluetooth working on it.

As far as the wireless card you need to do a google search to locate the linux drivers for it if any are available.

My daughter's laptop has a belkin wireless card and no joy for any linux drivers there!

Also that Thinkpad I was using for a footrest is now getting fixed and since the mother-in-law is visiting she wants it so I got a little work this weekend ahead of me.

Comment

Grrr...

Double post nonsense!

Comment

Open Aptitude and browse through the available software. That is really on eof the big advantages of Ubuntu. Simple select the package you want to install and it will download and install it. That will let you try out a lot of cool stuff.
                        Retired 6th DB

Comment

Birdie, Which wireless chipset do you have?
                          Retired 6th DB

Comment

It really does help to have a goal in mind when learning linux. It's such a complicated OS in general that if you don't really know where you're going, it's hard to give directions on how to get there. I, personally, got into using Linux merely because I was interested in computer security, and still am. There are quite a few 'learning' linux distros out there, if you choose to use them. Slax is one that comes to mind. Ubuntu has some neat graphical features, if you can get them installed properly. A lot of intense themes and things like that.

If you're interested in security, I'd suggest using the Backtrack OS, which is a suite of tools for hackers and pen-testers alike. Very, very useful.
                            Young Man approached the black monolith that emitted a faint glow and humming noise, and it became clear to him that he should fire not where the alien ship is, but where it is going to be. -Magna Centipede

Comment

Well, the units are so new that Acer does not even list them on their site yet, so no drivers or anything else for it..

Am reading thru madwifi.org for some help there as well..

This "make" command sounds interesting! :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X