Vista not recognizing DVD Drives

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista not recognizing DVD Drives

This is an FYI, I didn't see anything when I was searching the forums so I thought I would put it here for future reference. I found this original post giving a solution to the problem I was having, which was all of a sudden I couldn't access any of my DVD drives after installing some case fans. I know.

Here is the solution:

It might sound complicated but it involves editing a registry key - which is very simple to do.

1. Click on Start, then in the search box type "run", and then click on the icon that turns up in the search (alternatively, hold the windows key + R), and then type in "regedit" followed by the enter key
    2. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or
    3. clicking the "+" next to it.)
    4. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
    5. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key ***One note on item 5 I didn't have anything to change under CurrentControlSet, but I had two other keys labeled CurrentControlset001 and another one ending in 003 that had "lowerfilters" that I removed
    6. Expand the "Control" Key
    7. Expand the "Class" Key
    8. Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
    {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    9. High light this key by left clicking ONCE on it
    10. On the right hand side of the window you should see a box with a breakdown of the contents of the Key you just highlighted. You are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
    11. Please exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen

Reboot your computer
    Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Re: Vista not recognizing DVD Drives

Hmm, interesting, this is the first I've heard of the problem happening on Vista machines.

BTW, which brand optical drive were you using Cat?
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I had an HP 420i DVD Drive that I had been using for ~ one month before the computer decided to stop recognizing it. I don't remember installing any new software.

The other drive is a... Samsung LightScribe DVD Drive (oem), just bought from newegg. No drivers, but Nero 7 Software. :)

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

So Vista failed to recognize both hardware drives? Or was it just the HP one?
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

This isn't a vista only problem. I've dealt with several XP machines that have had the exact same problem. Generally a Nero-related problem, particularily after an uninstall. The fix is identical for XP. It's also what you should check if your system starts thinking your RW's are ROM's.
          a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
          Celibacy is not Hereditary.
          Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
          Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
          Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
            This isn't a vista only problem. I've dealt with several XP machines that have had the exact same problem. Generally a Nero-related problem, particularily after an uninstall. The fix is identical for XP. It's also what you should check if your system starts thinking your RW's are ROM's.
            That's true, I've had the same problem happen on two of my XP machines in the past. One would think Nero fixed that problem a while ago.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
              So Vista failed to recognize both hardware drives? Or was it just the HP one?
              Both drives

Comment

Ouch. Glad you managed to fix it.

So far, I haven't had the problem happen to me. I'm using a OEM copy of Nero 7 and have uninstalled and reinstalled about 4 times now.

Which version of Nero were you using Cat?
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Now I'm using Nero 7 essentials that came with the LightScribe, weird thing is I hadn't installed it. I got it with the LightScribe, but after I cracked my case open and installed the case fans I realized that I didn't have a SATA cable for the LightScribe.

Since I had already taken out the HP drive, I put it back in and hooked up the IDE cable and power line, put the LightScribe in and hooked up the power cable till I could get a SATA cable. Rebooted, no drives. The HP had worked before I opened the case. :)

Catellier's luck

Comment

Hmm, interesting. I haven't used a HP drive before in a build...I wonder if it could be a problem with the firmware...
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I had to use this fix on a friends Toshiba laptop..I hate messing around with the registry, but it worked out fine.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X