Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bluescreen crashes in PR (and similar graphics intensive games)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bluescreen crashes in PR (and similar graphics intensive games)

Well, I finally took a picture of my blue screen after Windows crashes. It's been happening randomly for a while, and I finally changed the restart options so I could snap a quick image.

Just for some background on this problem:

1) Only happens when I am playing a graphically intensive game. Normal programs and normal day to day browsing and such don't cause this.

2) Has been happening since I installed my 8800GTS graphics card several months ago. Never happened on my old 7300GT

3) Happens at random times during the game. No one event seems to trigger it. It just randomly restarts my computer with this blue screen.

4) There is no way this is a virus. It happened on my old HD as well, which died last week. I have reinstalled everything on a new blank HD and have only been up and running for 2 days with it, and am getting the same blue screen on the same program. I also have Norton 2009 installed and did a full scan, coming up clean with definitions from like 30 minutes ago.

5) I have all my drivers for my GFX card updated, but my motherboard BIOS is over a year old and new versions are available. I simply have no idea how to update BIOS in any form.

What the heck is going on? Is this a problem with the drivers for my GFX card? Something in the programming? I have no clue what this means. Thanks for any input you can give! :)

Frustrating to keep getting ripped out of PR in the middle of a great game and squad and such. :p

Re: Bluescreen crashes in PR (and similar graphics intensive games)

shadow you are screwed

Comment

Thanks skii, I needed that. :p

Comment

Reference Link for PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

Originally posted by The Basics: Bugchecks Explained
        Who Did It?

This bugcheck usually occurs for one of two reasons, the first reason being memory corruption. If there is a buggy driver in the system that is writing on memory that it does not own, it could easily corrupt one of the PFN lists or entries. In order to rule this out, you should run Driver Verifier with Special Pool enabled for suspect drivers in the system. This will hopefully allow you to catch the misbehaving driver in the act of scribbling memory, instead of receiving a crash sometime later when the O/S discovers the damage.

How Should I Fix It?

How this is fixed varies depending on the reason of the bugcheck. Using Driver Verifier and the checked build of the O/S should allow you to pinpoint the driver that is either corrupting memory or mishandling MDLs. If the offending driver is not a driver that you have any control over, the only available option is disabling the driver until a fixed version is available.
        Sounds like bad drivers. My first suspect would be the current nVidia drivers you are using.

For me, the only one that works is: 175.12 Beta. Everything else causes me BSODs, hard lockups, random freezes, and makes my computer unable to restart properly.

I'd take a good look at the drivers you're using now to see if it is one (or more of them).
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I think it might be drivers as well, but pinpointing the exact one is my problem.

I'm on Windows XP and the motherboard is a Gigabyte P35-DS3L

Comment

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1034931646

There are several google search results related to a PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error. Seems like it could be bad RAM or bad drivers with your video card.

You might want to try reinstalling the graphics drivers or trying different sticks of RAM.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Well, about the time this started, I had installed a 3rd gig of RAM a month or two earlier. Same RAM as before, same company, same product number, same everything. So one of the 3 sticks could be bad.

Even if a stick is bad, woudl the computer recognize it as being installed? It kept saying I had 3 GB in, but if it's bad RAM, it's either the 2nd or 3rd stick.

Makes a lot of sense, because it takes a little time to crash after PR starts. Maybe 20 minutes into the round after bases are established and such. So when it moves to that stick that is corrupted, it then crashes.

Working theory based on this thread and other info I have found. So I took out the 3rd stick, will see what happens, and if I still get a crash, I remove the 2nd stick and replace it with a new one and so forth to identify the bad one. I can run on 2 GB of RAM for now. ;)

Thanks for the input!

Comment

The computer will still recognize the bad RAM. It's just that as data is stored, written, and read to the memory modules, bad modules would cause the data to be corrupt, hence BSODs, crashes, etc.

Good luck and report back your findings. :)
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Some newer BIOS comes with memtest86 built-in. Check your BIOS manual. If so, leave it running overnight to see if you've got bad memory.
                  Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

So far, I have played PR for 2.5 hours (The Irregs Scrim) and had no crashes at all. This is after removing my 3rd GB.

So, for the moment, I think that was indeed the cause. But I will further stress test my PC with intense games and won't be satisfied until a week has gone by without a crash. :D

Comment

About BIOS updates: just follow the instructions that come with them. :row__591:

Last few updates I performed were done by downloading an ISO image, burning it to a CD-R and then booting the computer using the resulting disc.
                      |TG-Irr| Demarcus

Comment

I would hold of on the BIOS update if you fix your problem. Unless there is a compeling reason to update I wouldn't.

Also what timings and voltages are your ram? You may need to bump up the voltage with 3 sticks?

Comment

Shadow have you experienced any more BSODs?

An addition thing to add to Long Bow's response:

If installing that 3rd GB of RAM makes your memory setup go from dual-channel to single-channel (in other words, odd number of RAM sticks versus even number), you might need to change your memory timings (and voltage) to whatever your RAM manufacturer says it should be for single-channel.

For example: If I'm using my Corsair RAM in single-channel, then I should have the timings as: 5-5-5-18 and voltage as: 1.8v. Otherwise dual-channel is 5-5-5-15 at 1.9v.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I am pleased to say that I have not experianced any BSODs after removing my 3rd stick of RAM.

I didn't even think to check timings... *doh*.... but everything's perfect now. Thanks for all the input! :D

I'll check on the timings and such for my own info, but for now, everything's great, I can run everything I do on 2gb of RAM just fine, and for the moment, I am going to enjoy a great running and fast computer.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X