A Whole PC on One Chip: nVidia Tegra

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Whole PC on One Chip: nVidia Tegra

With my current fascination/obsession over small form-factor desktops and laptops, I went in search of new Atom processors to read up on future specifications. I found some interesting new (2009?) Intel single and dual-core UMPC CPUs and one with SoC capability.

I found that nVidia has come up with their own, but it already has a prototype chip, unlike Intel's still-drawing-board model: Source.

SoC or System-on-Chip is probably going to be a new fashion for UMPCs and PC-like cell phones in the coming years. It basically is a single die with a built-in CPU, GPU (with VRAM), RAM controller (with RAM), northbridge, southbridge, HD decoder, and a image processor all within.

It'll be interesting to see how small the next "netbooks" will get in 2009 and 2010.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: A Whole PC on One Chip: nVidia Tegra

nVidia shouldn't be moving on when they can't even make a friggin motherboard work properly (heck they can't even fix it a year after release)... I wouldn't touch this new thing when it comes out.

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
    In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

Hmm
      This could be cool.
      Although nVidia's drivers are not the best or so im told
      We'll see

Lol @ EA sucks :D

Comment

I've heard about this, and am glad to see some forward movement on a prototype.
        "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
        Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Originally posted by kittykatnub View Post
          nVidia shouldn't be moving on when they can't even make a friggin motherboard work properly (heck they can't even fix it a year after release)... I wouldn't touch this new thing when it comes out.
          Not sure if you're referring to nForce based boards or not, but usually the problems there tend to be driver related or hardware related (bad quality, etc. on the manufacturers end).

nVidia doesn't make motherboards (or any other parts) for mass consumption. They only produce reference boards for other companies/manufacturers to use as a base to produce their products.

Originally posted by Spalut
          I've heard about this, and am glad to see some forward movement on a prototype.
          I hope it hits the mainstream market in 2009 so we can start seeing its inclusion in UMPCs (like the Eee PC and AspireOne). Maybe then companies can pack in a optical drive. :)
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X