Xp on a Vista computer question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xp on a Vista computer question

I have a buddy that called me last night and asked if I could come up with a Vista Business disk for him. Of course I said 'NO". He apparently bought this computer and it had Vista Business and he said he even has the activation code sticker on the side of the computer still. Unsure of the brand of the computer he bought cause he said it had no identifying marks on who made it but the MB is MSI and it is an AMD 64 processor. All the info I could really get out of him besides it had 2Gb of RAM with 2 sticks which by talking to him were placed in the wrong slots for dual channel. I got him to switch them out to the same color slots.

He proceeded in telling me he tried to install XP Pro on the computer cause it was wiped clean when he bought it but after it gets so far installing it comes up with an error message. What the message is I am not sure cause he didn't know either but what I understood it was blue screening right after the message. I told him maybe some BIOS settings needed to be changed or a there was a driver problem, possibly even a bad XP install disk.

My question is what are some other problems that could be causing XP not to go onthis computer he has? I had read on another site that IF the HDD still had a Vista recovery partition on it that overrides XP from installing, any truth to this? I am using Vista Ultimate and he wanted to know if Business installed from my disk as well. I told him I was unsure but believe it would NOT. I was going to try a dual boot on my computer with Vista and XP but never got around to doing it, no real reason for me.

I personally have not seen the computer at all but told him the first thing I would try is setting all the BIOS back to default factory settings cause my MB I have works better with different operating systems depending on how the BIOS is setup and maybe trying to find the MB manual to help configure it properly so Xp may work. My thinking was a BIOS setting was keeping Xp from installing.

Re: Xp on a Vista computer question

if you own a copy of vista ultimate, it should be able to install business to your friends computer. Vista asks for the keycode and extrapolates the correct version. It is legal to let him borrow your media, but a better idea would be to make him a copy of your disk, since he also needs the EULA to be legal.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

I have the OEM version of Vista Ultimate. Would that make any difference? Also, he still wants to know why Xp won't install on his computer?

Comment

oem vista does not matter.

xp not installing is probably bad media. (or a bad cd drive)
        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
        The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

Comment

I was also pondering about the disk he had as being bad. That would be the most likely of things if this is apparently a fairly new computer he has. As I said I am unsure though but wish he would let me look at it for him. Sure I would figure it out on my own after actually fooling around with it.

Comment

If his HDD did come wiped clean (aka reformatted), then he should have been able to install XP just fine on his system.

Either he's not telling you everything or he's somewhat clueless as to what is what in his "new" computer.

If his disk is actually bad, just have him call up Microsoft or where he bought it from and have it replaced.

As for bad Windows CDs/DVDs, I've heard that only about 1 in 100 disks are actually bad. I can't figure out why there's been a number of posts in various tech forums and people blaming a "bad" Windows disks (several purchased in a row). Makes me wonder if those people even have a legit copy/copies.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
              If his HDD did come wiped clean (aka reformatted), then he should have been able to install XP just fine on his system.

Either he's not telling you everything or he's somewhat clueless as to what is what in his "new" computer.

If his disk is actually bad, just have him call up Microsoft or where he bought it from and have it replaced.

As for bad Windows CDs/DVDs, I've heard that only about 1 in 100 disks are actually bad. I can't figure out why there's been a number of posts in various tech forums and people blaming a "bad" Windows disks (several purchased in a row). Makes me wonder if those people even have a legit copy/copies.
              or just a burned copy... (nothing illegal about the media....) A bad burn or a scratch on a disk is a very easy way to screw up a reinstall.....

Comment

I imagine it is a scratched disk cause he has had it for a long time. I was going to burn him a copy of both my OEM Vista Ultimate 64 bit and Xp Pro disk I have and then let him try it. Apparently he musta got things squared away though cause he never called today.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X