The 64-bit Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 64-bit Question

This article was just posted today, and thought some that were still having a hard time deciding might like to read it.

The 64-bit Question

but in the last few months we have seen a dramatic increase in folks asking about 64-bit; because of this, and the general confusion about the differences between these versions, it was apparent that an article on the subject might be helpful to both our existing and prospective customers.
    Conclusion:

I really think 64-bit Vista is the best choice. It is definitely the way to go if you want future upgradability, and I would go so far as to say that Microsoft should phase out 32-bit Vista shortly after they drop XP. It probably won't happen, though, and there is even a good chance that Windows 7 will come out in both 32 and 64-bit versions as well. Just because the choice is there, though, doesn't mean it has to be a hard one to make: when in doubt, go 64-bit!

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: The 64-bit Question

I noticed that when using Vista 64 bit it took an extremely long time for my computer to start up. After going back through and carefully reading the MB manual I found out that the BIOS had a setting that was supposed to be set for 32 bit or 64 bit operating systems. I set it for 64 bit and wow what an increase in boot time.
    to me Vista 64 bit seems more stable than the 32 bit version and a little speedier. It may be my imagination but I am definitely glad I have Vista 64 bit.

Comment

REALLY?!?

What was that setting in the BIOS. And what motherboard do you have again?

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
        REALLY?!?

What was that setting in the BIOS. And what motherboard do you have again?
        What setting, indeed! And which board are you using MSDZ?
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by msdz View Post
          to me Vista 64 bit seems more stable than the 32 bit version
          I hear statements like this all the time and they just seem incredible. When it's been years since your computer crashed, can you really tell if your new OS "seems more stable"?
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by Cingy Duality
            I hear statements like this all the time and they just seem incredible. When it's been years since your computer crashed, can you really tell if your new OS "seems more stable"?
            *shrugs*, 64-bit Vista doesn't seem to be any more or less stable to me. Maybe his old system with x86 version of XP was constantly crashing...
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

It's probably because x64 forces signed drivers.
              "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
              Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

It is a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4.
                HPET MODE
                Allows you to select the HPET mode for Windows Vista operating system. Select 32-bit mode when you install 32-bit Windows Vista ; select 64-bit when you install 64-bit Windows Vista. (Default: 32-bit Vista)

That is how it is in my MB manual on page 49 and changing this made me boot up a helluva lot faster. I called Gigabyte support cause I was having some other problem at the time, can't remember what it was but they walked me through a lot of the BIOS settings but I stumbled on this one myself when doing all the other BIOS settings.

HPET for those that may not know is High Precision Event Timer

I should say I have used Vista 32-bit on a friends computer and it was not very stable. Of course on my computer it may be stable and just as fast as 64-bit and I should not have said what I did about 32-bit Vista but the MB BIOS setting makes me wonder now.

Comment

Hmm, I never saw a "HPET" or a "High Precision Event Timer" in my ASUS BIOS settings. Not even sure if ASUS has anything similar.

That does sound pretty good. I'll research more into that feature to see if ASUS or if any other brand has something close to it.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Spulat View Post
                    It's probably because x64 forces signed drivers.
                    Not if you boot without driver signing enforced before you install them... :D

(I'm using unsigned video drivers on Vx64)

|
                    |

Comment

Originally posted by A_Grounded_Pilot View Post
                      Not if you boot without driver signing enforced before you install them... :D

(I'm using unsigned video drivers on Vx64)
                      That's true, but it's a pain sometimes because it doesn't seem to "take". At least, upon installation.

I had to swap the Optiarc SATA DVD drive into my DVR and take my old PATA DVD out of it and put it back in this machine, in order to install x64.

-In regard to HPET, I've seen some boards with it, and some without it. It's only ever said "set HPET if lower than XP" (you know, wonderful translations and all). So of course I turn it on :D
                      "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                      Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

So I downloaded my MB manual, and searched for the word HPET. Nothing.
                        So I went to the ASUS forum and searched and these 2 threads were the best stuff I could find.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us

So guess I will need to remember to look through the BIOS at some startup soon and make sure it is turned on if it is even there.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Maybe on some newer MB's HPET is automatically set or can determine the operating system that has been installed for HPET??

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                            So I downloaded my MB manual, and searched for the word HPET. Nothing.
                            So I went to the ASUS forum and searched and these 2 threads were the best stuff I could find.

So guess I will need to remember to look through the BIOS at some startup soon and make sure it is turned on if it is even there.
                            I just looked through my BIOS and failed to find any HPET or High Performance blah blah.

The only thing I found was "quick Boot" under the Boot tab. The second link mentioned that HPET was under Power tab, but I didn't find it in my P5Q BIOS.

My guess is the feature is only available on higher-end boards or AMD boards (since the A8V-- is a AMD board).
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I was thinking, ASUS asks you what OS you are using, but just a couple months ago there was actually an option for a BIOS for 32 bit or 64, so I think they have it built in or something.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X