X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing XP/Vista on a Netbook

Well, found this video:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vt_8p0VllY[/media]

which linked to this thread in the Boot Land forums: http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=4900

The video does it using a USB thumb drive and a Acer AspireOne A110 (SSD model).

I haven't tried it (since I don't have my One yet), but thought I'd post it and see if it'll help anyone else and to see if anyone else has come across something better (specifically Vista).

Edit: Found a tutorial for Vista. Fairly simple, but requires a large USB drive depending on the version of Vista.

Installing Vista from a USB Flash Drive
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: Installing XP/Vista on a Netbook

I've installed Ubuntu on my EEE and on my brother's Aspire One and it was pretty easy. It would have been easier if I were familiar with Linux but both work well. I imagine XP wouldn't be a big deal. I don't think I'd want to try Vista on a machine with such low specs though.
    sigpic

Comment

I want to eventually put Home Basic on my Aspire One. It should run fine since the Atom CPU has hyperthreading, the One has 1 GB of RAM, and a 160 GB HDD.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Would an External USB CD/DVD drive do the same... as long as the Notebook can boot from USB...??
        |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
        ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Originally posted by peardog View Post
          Would an External USB CD/DVD drive do the same... as long as the Notebook can boot from USB...??
          It has the ability to boot from a USB boot device such as a DVD drive, but I personally have no need for such a device and would never buy one for the sole purpose of loading a laptop with an OS :)
          "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
          Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Originally posted by Spulat View Post
            It has the ability to boot from a USB boot device such as a DVD drive, but I personally have no need for such a device and would never buy one for the sole purpose of loading a laptop with an OS :)
            It's also too expensive for me. An external USB DVD drive costs about $50. That brings the total cost of my netbook up to nearly $500. Like Spulat, I really don't have a need for a optical drive since most of my media resides in backed up ISO images and executables.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

just take apart the usb hard drive enclosure that most of you have and plug in the DVD drive from your desktop.

or buy an enclosure from ebay for 10 bucks.
              Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
              The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                The video does it using a USB thumb drive and a Acer AspireOne A110 (SSD model).

I haven't tried it (since I don't have my One yet), but thought I'd post it and see if it'll help anyone else and to see if anyone else has come across something better (specifically Vista).

Edit: Found a tutorial for Vista. Fairly simple, but requires a large USB drive depending on the version of Vista.
                Did you ever install windows from a USB drive?

I installed Ubuntu-eee on my EeePC but I'm thinking of putting WinXP back on. Or at least setup dual-boot. I need to take the recover disk that came with the netbook and put it on a USB stick.
                |TG-12th| asch
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by asch View Post
                  Did you ever install windows from a USB drive?

I installed Ubuntu-eee on my EeePC but I'm thinking of putting WinXP back on. Or at least setup dual-boot. I need to take the recover disk that came with the netbook and put it on a USB stick.
                  I haven't tried it yet with XP or Vista. Thought I'd post it for those who wanted to restore their netbooks from Linux to Windows.

It's a lot more simpler with Vista though. Make a ISO of Vista, put it on the thumb drive, leave it in, restart, boot from USB.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X