No announcement yet.

From my Acer AspireOne Netbook to TG...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From my Acer AspireOne Netbook to TG...

My second post on TG's forum from my small netbook.

I've already taken some pictures that will go into a full-length review which will get posted in this section later in the week.

Initial Impressions

It's a little bigger than IBM's initial ultraportable laptop (the from from 1994/'95) looking at it with the screen open. Of course, it's much thinner and more advanced than that IBM laptop.

I've only seen two reviews that mention the SIM card reader hidden by the battery. Unlike the earlier A110 SSD models, my A150 model has a SIM card marking near the port, but the port itself does not have a card hole. (I'll included a close-up picture of the port in my review.)

Transfer rate from a USB flash drive is slow and I blame the rather "weak" Atom processor. I transferred over 7 GBs from my 8 GB USB drive. It took a little over 35 minutes. Since this is XP, I could not tell you the average rate of transfer.

My battery initially came charged with about 73% juice. A little over 30 minutes ago I had 2.05 hours left and plugged it in to the wall charger. Battery still is charging as I type this.

My two biggest qualms is: the screen size (and resolution) and the 85% laptop-sized keyboard. I suddenly wish that Acer put in a 10+" screen instead of this 8.9". It could easily fit in without increasing the size. I also wish the keyboard was a normal laptop-sized keyboard. The slightly-concave-curved keyboard ( "(" turned right 90 degrees - that's the general curve) is already cramping my arms and fingers (been typing for the last 40 minutes). I also make a lot more mistakes on this cramped keyboard. Verdict on keyboard: Great for some minor to moderate notes, but anything more (especially if you type at 45 WPM or greater), get a USB external keyboard. It'll save you mistakes and cramps.

What I though was a biometric fingerprint reader in the bottom right corner of the keyboard area is actually a unengraved aluminum plate that marks the location of the built-in wireless chipset/antennae (haven't figured out which yet). There is a switch on the side (opposite of the battery) that you can use to enabled or disable it. Haven't flicked it yet, since I need my internet. ;)

I'll post a more lengthy review later, comments, questions, and bashings welcome. (Just be prepared to have a lengthy discourse.) Now back to my Chemistry homework...
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: From my Acer AspireOne Netbook to TG...

That switch for the wireless is very handy in my case. When you are not in a wireless hotspot you just turn it off to conserve the battery power. If you don't its like a cell phone the more it searches for the connection the more battery it uses.

Comment

I don't have a SIM card, so no, it didn't occur to me to mention it. I wasn't exactly sure what it was, though :D

The 85% keyboard, yep, something you have to live with :) But there are Netbooks out there with smaller keyboards, including I do believe the Eee.

Did you notice the cover on the bottom toward the back, that houses a whole lotta nothin'? That's the perfect spot for a 3G chip :D the infamous tnkgrl has done writeups on how to snuggle in a tiny bluetooth into it as well using the internal USB leads.
      "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
      Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

if you think that thing has a cramped keyboard...

try my UX380n - 4.5" 1024x600 touchscreen....

[media]http://www.newhopeforever.com/media/pics/ux1.jpg[/media]

and for size comparison.....
        [media]http://www.newhopeforever.com/media/pics/hardware.jpg[/media]
        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
        The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

I've got a UX380n too, take it with me pretty much whenever I travel.

Comment

yeah, I use mine all the time... I still am amazed by all it can do.

I am going to get a u7700 (c2d 1.33) and a 2gig upgrade for it when I can afford it. there is a guy on micropctalk.com called ahn who can replace the soldered on cpu and ram chips.

the cpu upgrade is only 250, (not bad for going from a core solo 1.33 to a core 2 duo 1.33.) but the ram is 400 (but to really make the computer run, you really need the 2gigs - 1 just doesn't cut it.... I can barely do a 20 minute Premiere project on mine without it bogging down :().

I might sell my 380 and get a 180 so I am not wasting the better parts. - Then, a 64gig SSD and the computer will be faster than 65% or so of the computers out right now.

/end hijack
            Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
            The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by DDog
              if you think that thing has a cramped keyboard...

try my UX380n - 4.5" 1024x600 touchscreen...
              I think NewEgg still sells that thing (or has something very similar. I've read through the various NewEgg user reviews and I must say one guy used it as a POS terminal for his company and even to watch some movies on the side (streamed from local servers).

It seems products like the one you're using has/is redefining what a Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC) should be, hence why I now use the popular term "netbook" for my Aspire One.

Edit:

It's now 3:09 am. I've just spent two hours trying to figure out why my netbook could not find my home network and why it couldn't connect to it.

I forgot to reenable the WiFi chip using the "switch". For anyone who read what was in this latter part of the post, please forget it. Human error on my part. Now for some sleep since I'm not thinking clearly at all.
              Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 10-22-2008, 04:11 AM.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

That got me once or twice, especially considering it's just a toggle switch for the software, not hardware, Disabling of the WiFi card.
                "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X