DLink Power Supply Shortage on wireless lans

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DLink Power Supply Shortage on wireless lans

First of all, D-Link wireless products are... junk.

I've never found one that I actually enjoyed working with, or even had good luck with.

Second of all... please use punctuation next time... it makes it a lot easier to read the post!

Comment

I think we use a D-link wireless, and it's really good. The range on it and it's security is awesome

Comment

Originally posted by ImJustMito
        First of all, D-Link wireless products are... junk.
        I've installed well over 50 D-Link products ranging from their home model Routers to their fully-configurable corporate switches. I find them no more prone to failure than any other brand name product. True, their wireless configs are "Strange" compared to others, but I wouldn't rate them as "junk."

If you continually get failures from brand new devices, then the problem is more than likely on your end. Could be power surges.

Comment

I hate Dlink more for the endless time it takes to update even the smallest setting, and the fact that the thing must restart for every change.... not to mention the fact that the range on them is subpar (compared to US Robotics and Netgear) the best range I have ever gotten was a linksys (God, I hate admitting that) with 2 +7dbi antennae mounted 25 feet overhead. outside, I got 450 ft before SNR was 95%. If the USRobotics had 2 of those bad boys on it, I could have gotten 500+ on it, but the connectors for the linksys were different... I got 375 ft on the USR with 2 standard +2 dbi antennae so, in effect, it won for distance as well.......
          Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
          The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG=
            the best range I have ever gotten was a linksys (God, I hate admitting that)
            Why? I've had nothing but the best performance from my Linksys equipment, while horrible luck with Netgear and Dlink. You don't like Cisco routers/switches?
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I find D-Links perfect for site-to-site wireless bridging, although I'd much rather use Linksys for Acess Points.

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                Why? I've had nothing but the best performance from my Linksys equipment, while horrible luck with Netgear and Dlink. You don't like Cisco routers/switches?

linksys is just not my brand of choice... like coke and pepsi...... I don't like them because they do not have the feature to price ratio that netgear does. they are usually overpriced and perform worse than their counterparts. netgear is the fastest router on the market for home use right now......
                Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

Comment

Just pray you never have to call Netgear's tech support....

Comment

why would I ever call tech support......

I AM tech support..... the only reason for me to make a call is to get replacements under warranty.... and by the time I call them, its 100% undeniable broke beyond hope.

what tech support would you need with a router?
                    "this plug is too small for the holes on the white box thing....."
                    "those are phone cords"
                    "ok, so where do I plug my phone in to this thing?"

"yeah, your wireless router dont work"
                    "really? what lights are on on the unit?"
                    "lights? aint no lights on"
                    "sir you have to plug it in to the power"
                    "but it says its wireless, I dont need no power wire"

"so, I cant get your radio to work..............."
                    "hello?........."

Comment

You ever tried RMAing a swtich through Netgear? Not only can the tech support guy not speak English well at all, and they're are so many others crammed into the same room it sounds like they're having a party, they make you go through all the testing that you have again.

Then he acts like your crazy when you say you've used a loop-back tester to prove that the port won't connect.

Comment

I've heard some say to do a hard reset of the router then flash the firmware to 1.03. I'm running 1.05 though and it runs fine. Also, don't run too many connections on it or it'll be prone to rebooting (P2P apps do this easily).

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Personally, I put DLink in the "junk" category as well. I mostly choose my router/firewall selection based on the packet switching engine and stateful packet inspection routines rather than anything else. I imagine if I did wireless then the range would also be a factor, but my criteria is largely based on routing and switching capabilities.

If I had to order them baesd on my preference and experience from best to worst, I would go as follows:

NetGear
                          LinkSys/Cisco
                          LinkSys
                          DLink
                          Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
                            Personally, I put DLink in the "junk" category as well. I mostly choose my router/firewall selection based on the packet switching engine and stateful packet inspection routines rather than anything else. I imagine if I did wireless then the range would also be a factor, but my criteria is largely based on routing and switching capabilities.

If I had to order them baesd on my preference and experience from best to worst, I would go as follows:

NetGear
                            LinkSys/Cisco
                            LinkSys
                            DLink

I would probably agree with the order given here. I have a netgear myself, and have very little problems with it (I did have some problems for a while, but that was due to a bad firmware upgrade, just had to wait for them to release a new version again and that fixed all problems).

I would however put Sonicwall on the top of the list, but they are too expensive for home users.

Comment

wait, we use Linksys Cisco
                              I take what i said about the d-link :P

Comment

usr, while not a big contender is more conigurble than any of these.
                                also, 2wire/orinco makes some good stuff too.....
                                I ude DLink for range extenders because they are small, simple and get decent additional range for the least $$$ other than this, Dlink sucks.

netgear > USR > Linksys > 2wire/orinco > all > DLink

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                                X