Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apple trying to patent RF tech., whats next?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple trying to patent RF tech., whats next?

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...RS=20080259829

This just goes to show Apple character.

|TG-IRR|

Re: Apple trying to patent RF tech., whats next?

No big deal. If it's not patented and you can patent it, why not? It might bring in some money later.

IBM patents a bunch of stuff too. It's just the way capitalism works.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Its the way a bad system works.
      |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
        No big deal. If it's not patented and you can patent it, why not? It might bring in some money later.

IBM patents a bunch of stuff too. It's just the way capitalism works.

That really wasnt the point. The point is that Apple has been on a kick lately of trying to patent everything, regardless of whether they had anything to do with the technology or not. Its disappointing to see a company act as such and even worse that you would blow it off. It goes to show that consumers dont care until it affects their wallets, then they want to cry foul.

I was crying foul before it has a chance to hurt me and make more people aware of it.

|TG-IRR|

Comment

There's not much one can do here. It's not illegal to file a patent. Apple has been sued over patent infringement (click wheel on iPod). They're protecting what they want to design and use. If they make money from it, I think that's the point. I don't care if it affects me. This is what I accept because this is how the world works. People take advantage of opportunities. If you don't, somebody else will.

This isn't a problem with the company. It's a problem with the way the economy works. Fix it at the source.

Comment

Originally posted by Beinseth View Post
            That really wasnt the point. /b/The point is that Apple has been on a kick lately of trying to patent everything, regardless of whether they had anything to do with the technology or not./b/ Its disappointing to see a company act as such and even worse that you would blow it off. It goes to show that consumers dont care until it affects their wallets, then they want to cry foul.

I was crying foul before it has a chance to hurt me and make more people aware of it.
            The bold part was the point of the response. I understand trying to patent something that you made, created, etc... But to just patent something because no one else did, which I find hard to believe considering the technology, just doesnt make any sense.

|TG-IRR|

Comment

It definitely doesn't make any sense from a logical point of view. There just isn't a requirement for the patent. However, it's possible so it's been done. Another factor is it could have been an Apple employee looking for extra cash. Employees do it for the money because they get a bonus for filing a patent and more if the patent is approved.

I frequently heard at IBM during my time there that people would file patents for cash. It may not be for technology that will be used or it could be related to something under development. The point was employees got money from patents. It didn't even have to be directly useful to the company.

Blame the company, blame the employee, blame everybody. It's just the way things work with the current economy. Tell everybody to stop wanting more money and they'll think you're the crazy one.

Comment

Patents do for companies what guns do for residences. Good companies don't use them to attack, but to defend. If someone comes after you for doing something obvious that they've patented, odds are that they're violating one of your patents so you have a club to fend them off with.

And it's a problem with the IP system, not the economy.
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Goes to show what I have been saying for years.

Apple is made of a bunch of $%?&* morons, hippies and greedy jerks.

Microsoft tried to patent the 'mouse click' a few years back which was just as stupid. The judge told them 'No' and please do not choke up the patent system with stupid crap like that.
                  |TG-Irr| D_Ronin
                  sigpic
                  "As the storm gathers, some run from the clouds in fear...Others prepare for the rain."

Comment

So what do we do about it? Boycott every company that tries to patent everything and anything?

ScratchMonkey has a point about protecting IP. Companies get sued over small details such as Apple with the click wheel and the iPod interface.

Employees are still driven to come up with patents though. They get money for each patent filed. So, greed is part of the equation but it's the employees that want the money. The companies are protecting themselves from lawsuits.

Want to see stupid crap in the patent system? Check out the side swing. This wasn't Apple's doing. This boy was 5.
                    http://www.newscientist.com/article/...s-patents.html

Comment

We could start by eliminating patents on business practices and software.

Patents (and copyrights) were created by governments to accomplish a policy objective. They're not a right. If the objective is no longer being achieved, it's time to rethink the program, not keep handing out a free benefit that ends up hurting innovation.
                      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X