Router Hanging

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router Hanging

I haven't had a problem with this router for over 5 years. It's a Linksys Befw11s4 v2. A couple months ago it started hanging whenever I use bittorrent. I have to unplug it to power cycle for my comps to get back online. I have the latest firmware which is a few years old.

Any ideas why this is happening? Is getting a new router going to fix this? Is the router getting worn out? The only change I can think of is comcast has been steadily speeding up my connection and perhaps my router can't work that fast.....???

Re: Router Hanging

Did you change any settings in your bittorrent client?

Sometimes if you bombard a router with too many simultaneous connections (especially by BT clients), they'll hang/freeze.

For example, I'm using a Linksys WRT54GL router, if I bombard it with more than 400 sim. connections, it'll just lock up and then I'd have to power cycle it.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

My connections are set to 200, I'm pretty sure thats the setting I have been using for years, but my router is older. What is the next step up in routers that would be able to handle lets say 1000 connections.

Comment

I don't know off the top of my head. Linksys has released so many N and G routers since I bought my WRT54GL.

This one is the apparent successor to the popular WRT54G and WRT54GL series. It basically looks like the nicer shiny black ones you see on the market nowadays.

It has two internal antennaes and a seemingly better QoS and internet filtering software built into the firmware.

Here's a list of Linksys routers that NewEgg sells.

You could get the WRT54GL (same as mines) for $50 now. I've used BT clients with it without too much problems. Just keep the simultaneous connections to 200 or less. In actuallity, you could set it to 50 since most of the connections end up being half-connections to other peers that don't offer any upstream data (not uploading to you).
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Have you tryed to update the Firmware, I had a simular problem mate.

http://www.wardrive.net/firmware/linksys
          sigpic
          "Volatilis Quod Mactabilis"

Comment

Thanks but I have the latest firmware.

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
              I don't know off the top of my head. Linksys has released so many N and G routers since I bought my WRT54GL.

This one is the apparent successor to the popular WRT54G and WRT54GL series. It basically looks like the nicer shiny black ones you see on the market nowadays.

It has two internal antennaes and a seemingly better QoS and internet filtering software built into the firmware.

Here's a list of Linksys routers that NewEgg sells.

You could get the WRT54GL (same as mines) for $50 now. I've used BT clients with it without too much problems. Just keep the simultaneous connections to 200 or less. In actuallity, you could set it to 50 since most of the connections end up being half-connections to other peers that don't offer any upstream data (not uploading to you).

Most of the new routers have terrible reviews. All the complaints are from people having the exact same problem I'm having. Your router looks like the only good one and it's years old.

I want something more robust then whats available at Newegg. I think the future is going to be very taxing on routers. These problems are just the beginning. I have no idea where to start looking for a more industrial solution.

Comment

Well, my router has open source firmware capability. It's a popular model since a majority of the people buying it immediately reflash the firmware to DD-WRT or Tomato.

Both of those offer a much more comprehensive (and better) QoS and has more router settings so a network admin can tweak it to exactly the way he wants the router.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I completely solved router hang problem using Router Commander Program. I recommend that you try it out too. This program has built-in router NAT monitor and if I understood it well routerís internal settings tuner that prevent router to hang out. You can get it from www.routercommander.com

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X