VGA to DVI conversion..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VGA to DVI conversion..

My dad had a 70 inch TV that had VGA input, the HDMI inputs proved to be defective, so the warranty company Gave hime a brand new 73 inch TV

http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/product/WD73C8

Problem is this TV has no VGA inputs, only HDMI, and he wants to hook his Laptop.. problem is the laptop has only VGA out.

http://www.topproduct.nl/hardware/no...ificaties.html

(Sorry couldn't find a spec sheet on the Acer Aspire 9300-7000 that was in english)

I found this Converter...

http://www.lenexpo-electronics.com/A...p-p-17471.html

does anyone have any info on this device??

Is his video card going to be able to produce an Image that will look remotely appealing on a 73 inch TV??

I told him to just buy a new Laptop, but he didnt bite...

I got his 8 month old 70 inch TV (that works gread other than the HDMI problem) and was hoping to get his laptop too..
    Last edited by llPANCHOll; 10-23-2008, 10:05 PM.

Re: VGA to DVI conversion..

I also found this one for you

http://www.startech.com/item/VGAHD2H...Converter.aspx

You're dealing with analog to digital conversion so it will be expensive unless you upgrade the laptop. I think the device to change signals will be much less than a new laptop.

- -

Comment

the laptop should be able to output 1920x1200 if it was built in the last 6 years. then it is just a matter of converting the signal.

the other option is a refurbed dell inspiron 1525 for 469. if you keep an eye on the outlet long enough, one will come in for super cheap. it has an hdmi port and an intel x3100 video card - which will play 1080p smoothly. - not to mention you can get a fully functional htpc for just a little more than the cost of the converter alone.

a few upgrades might be needed here and there, but you can do them slowly if you need to.
      Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
      The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

This
        [media]http://www.quantum.com.hk/website/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/5260f140aa32ffe3f19127aa0530b302.jpg[/media]

plus this

[media]http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/3578.jpg[/media]

?

It won't work I'm pretty sure but thought I'd throw my logic out there. :D

Comment

You should be able to find a VGA-sub-to-HDMI input adapter online for less than $20.

Or get a VGA (Female) to DVI (Male) adapter and then a DVI (Female) to HDMI (Male) adapter.

Hook up the DVI to HDMI adapter to your TV, then hook the VGA to DVI adapter to the DVI side of the DVI to HDMI adapter. Hook a VGA to VGA cable from your dad's laptop's VGA-out to the VGA adapter and you're done.

Kevalorc

Heh, you beat me to it. It should work. It's just signal conversion. But since you're going from Analog to Digital, there's going to be some quality loss, most notecibly with text.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

it does not work.

it's like plugging the analog red right channel rca into a digital orange coax rca connection. just because they physically fit, does not mean they talk to each other. (but the difference is that the red RCA cable will work on the coax connection, the DVI-A connector will not work on a DVI-D connector. one or the other has to be DVI-I)

vga goes to DVI-A (analog)

then you have DVI-I (integrated) which is both digital and analog

DVD-D (digital) goes to HDMI

the two signals never talk, they cross only in the DVI-I connector, which just holds both - they never talk or even have the same pins.
            Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
            The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Ah, didn't think that far ahead. It is 4 am over here and I've been awake since 8 am this (yesterday) morning.

Off to bed for me. Wish you luck in finding a VGA female to HDMI male adapter. :)
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

ordered the converter I linked in first post... Ill post up when it gets here how well it works..

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X