• Show
Clear All

• Problem: Monitor Going Inactive Instantly

The Problem

Okay, I have a problem and have narrowed it down to two possibilities:
    1) my monitor is on its last legs
    or
    2) nVidia's 172.12 beta driver is to blame

About a month ago I purchased a DVI-to-DVI monitor cable and replaced my DVI-to-VGA adapter + VGA cable.

About 3 weeks ago I started noticing that on a cold startup:
    1) I start up my computer
    2) I turn on my monitor
    3) Monitor immediately goes into standby.

I turn it off and on, only to have it go into immediate standby. I have replugged the DVI cable and have had only intermediate instant-standbys.

The only thing I've tried that has worked is:
    1) turn off computer
    2) leave monitor on
    3) turn computer back on

Thus far that "makes" my monitor stay on instead of going immediately into standby.

My Research Online

Fruitless to say the least. I've found threads across the internet and all of them are over a year old. People in those threads have narrowed down their problems to either a failing motherboard, failing graphics card, failing monitor, and/or drivers (both nV and ATI).

Of course knowing that I didn't have this problem before the DVI cable and before 172.12 beta driver, I know my motherboard is NOT failing and my graphics card is NOT failing.

My Computer Specs

...are listed in my signature.

Has anyone else have had this problem with using a DVI cable with their nVidia graphics card?
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: Problem: Monitor Going Inactive Instantly

The mainboard of the monitor could be going out. You'll need to test the monitor on a different system to see if that is the case though.

Do you have onboard video to test? If it happens there then I'd guess that this is your monitor dying.

You can replace the mainboard on the monitor typically if it's an LCD. If it's a CRT then you gotta take it somewhere to be fixed or get a new one.

- -

Comment

Could you have gotten a bad DVI cable? If the signal wasn't being transferred properly over the cable it could cause this.
      sigpic

Comment

Vulcan,

Do you mean some sort of self-test? There isn't any for my monitor. It's only been about 3 years old.

I'll take another rig and use it from a cold start to test my monitor.

If the monitor doesn't going into standby with another system, does that mean my computer and/or nVidia drivers are to blame?

Buckets,

I hope not. I bought the cable brand new from Monoprice.

I only experience this problem on a cold start of my computer. So if the cable was faulty, I should experience this randomly (or frequently) when I'm using the monitor, but I am not.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

With my LCD, if you turn it on and it is not plugged into any outputs (VGA, DVI, or otherwise) it simply sits on stating there's no signal for a minute or two before shutting off.

If I plug in the DVI cable (I don't mention VGA because I've never used VGA on this monitor) and the computer is off, it'll instantly go into Standby mode. My theory is that it simply detects a Ground and thus figures it's plugged in to a signal output. So you can probably test it that way.

I don't suppose you have another computer to test this monitor on? Or swing by a friend's place and try the monitor on their system. There's a possibility that the card isn't putting out a signal over DVI and that sort of thing is of course auto-detected by the card. Does the monitor auto-configure itself to an active input, and/or can you manually select the input?
          "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
          Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

I wish I did have another monitor that had a DVI input, but I don't. My monitor auto-detects a input.

I did think about your something similar to your first sentence Spulat.

Here's what I know:
            1) If my computer is off and my monitor is on, it goes into instant standby.
            2) If my computer is on first, then I turn on my monitor, it goes into instant standby.

Here's what I did:
            1) turn on my monitor first
            2) turned on my system

The monitor didn't go into immediate standby. I've only done this once, but if this works, then could it be some difference between DVI and VGA signaling to my monitor I don't understand?
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

If the monitor is on does it ever go into standby and not come back on without some sort of intervention (i.e. unplug and plug the cable or power)?

If it's simply something that happens when you just turn your computer on and the monitor is still on but doesn't display the picture then that sounds like a signal problem and might something in the bios or with the cables you're using and how they are set to operate. Going through those conversions could be the cause of it and the signal is getting lost unless it's initialized and ready for the signal from the converter cables and computer.

- -

Comment

When my monitor normally goes into standby, all I have to do is move my mouse and my desktop comes back up on screen.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X