Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Motherboard?

Hey guys!

I have recently been thinking about upgrading my computer with a new processor. My current one is an Intel Pentium 4 3.20 GHz with hyper Threading. I want to start moving in the direction of Dual/Quad core CPU's but it seems that my motherboard is way outdated. (about 3 years old)

So I was wondering, if I was to buy a new motherboard, how would my old parts fit in with the new board? I already have a pre-built computer that I have added parts to (simple stuff like ram and video cards/hard drives), so am I SOL? Or can I just install a new motherboard and then plug in all my old parts? The only reason why I am asking is because I am seeing a LOT of cables running from one plug to another and quite frankly it intimidates the crap out of me.

Also, I was able to find that my current chipset is an Intel 955x Express. But my motherboard is from Dell and it is not exactly the same as the ones shown on Intel's website.
    Created by Sonic

Re: New Motherboard?

I believe that's an LGA 775 cpu and Mobo so pretty much all the mainstream boards will support your CPU according to the tech sheet.

http://www.intel.com/Products/Deskto...X-overview.htm

That's just what the chipset is capable of doing. Need to know more info about your CPU to say for sure. Any other parts should work fine.

- -

Comment

Well not exactly. Your ram will most likely be DDR not DDR2 or DDR3 which is now the norm.

Your video card may be AGP where as all motherboards now are PCI-E so again it depends.

The things you might be able to use are your hardrives, optical drives, case, PSU (if it's decent?) and any fans.

If you can give us more details on all your current equipment we can give you a better idea of where to spend your money? Oh and what your needs are (because we default all systems built to uber gaming rigs with overclocking)

Comment

Going off of a quick Google search, all your parts (other than the CPU) should carry over fine to a new board.

The 955X Express chipset is a LGA775 socket that supports SATA as well as the PCI-E x16 standards (some boards even have firewire).

Here's a link to a example board using that chipset: ECS 955X Express SLI

From the looks of it, that chipset was among the high-end boards of 2006 and was probably used in enthusiast gamer builds.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Wow thats rare to find someon able to upgrade a mobo that "old" and still use all the parts.

What exactly are your goals for this build and your budget? Carrying over parts is fine but why upgrade at all then if your going to use almost all the same parts? By the time you get around to replacing all the parts over time you could have spent the same money on a better system.

Not trying to shoot down your build, just trying to get some clarification. The new i7 intels should be out soon as well which may help drop prices on the current stuff? Or you could buy into the new i7 stuff but it will be at top dollar for the first while.

Comment

Yes, I bought this computer with the sole intention of using it for gaming.

It came with PCI Express x16 slots, and it does support DDR2 memory (I upgraded to 2 gigs a couple of years ago.) I just want to upgrade my CPU seeing as it is a single core, and dual/quad core seem to be the new norm for gaming. Also, the way my Dell came pre-built I have a two fan casing over the current heat sink and CPU. So I am not sure whether or not I will have to get new fans with the new CPU.

Yea, so looking at newegg, I found all the processors that fit a LGA775 socket. Is it simply, plug and play or do I have to upgrade my motherboard? I mean, if I can find a CPU that will fit the LGA775 socket, is that all I need to worry about?

Clarification: I have mostly new parts in this computer. I have upgraded to 2 gigs of DDr2 memory, nVidia 8600GTS, and a new hard drive. The only parts that are original are the cd-drives, CPU+heatsink, fans, and motherboard.

If I was to get one, this is most likely the CPU I would buy.....
            http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115017
            Created by Sonic

Comment

Actually, you should be able to just get a LGA775 processor and swap it with your current Pentium 4 since your board probably uses the LGA775 socket.

My question is this: what model is your Dell desktop?

Without knowing the exact model of your Dell (and the potential specs), you won't know for certain if your board fully implements the 955X Express chipset specifications.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

My model was the XPS Gen 5...... Yea, I am holding off on the new processor because I am not that tech savy when it comes down to CPU and all that.
                Created by Sonic

Comment

Actually, I think for gaming you would see a bigger bump from getting a new Gfx. card.

The one you have currently is EXTREAMLY weak, compared to like the ATI 4850 or 9800GTX

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

What is his current graphics card? I can't seem to find it mentioned in the CNET review I found on the XPS Gen 5.

Your system does have the Pentium EE 840, so I would second Bamboo's suggestion to get a new graphics card instead. The Pentium EE 840 is actually a dual-core Smithfield (the same cores used in the Pentium Ds).

If you don't plan on doing much more than Warhead and Project Reality, the nVidia 9800GT/GTX would serve you fine even on UXVGA monitors.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

He said here:
                      http://www.tacticalgamer.com/hardwar...ml#post1128600

An 8600GTS

And you will need to do some research and make sure you motherboard can handle a 1066MHz FSB if you want to go with that CPU you linked above.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I looked it up and it can go for 1066 MHz. My second option was to upgrade my GFX card but I am a little confused with the newer PCI Express 2.0....

I was looking at the 9000 series, but I want to make a substantial increase in performance. I don't really want to have to upgrade the card in 6 months. Plus, as stated, my CPU is only a single core and its begining to show its age.

I am a pretty hardcore gamer going from one new game to the next, so being on top of things is my main priority. If updating the GFX card is the best option then I guess I will wait on the CPU for now.

I actually used a utility from Intel's Website and found that my processor is actually the Pentium 4 640. It supports Hyper Threading but it is not a Dual core.

http://reviews.cnet.com/processors/i...tag=mncol;psum (Cnet Review)
                        Created by Sonic

Comment

that cpu actually still looks decent.

What i would do is get a new PCI-E 2.0 card that will work in that system and when you decide to upgrade your motherboard and parts, the graphics card will support pci-e 2.0 already.

I use a gtx 260 from evga and it's fantastic.

- -

Comment

Hey Vulcan, did you see evga just updated their overclocking utility today. I tried it and it is really simple to use
                            http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...10164&Itemid=1

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Well I have been looking at the 200 series since it came out, and have been wanting one badly. The only problem is the price. My gf would kill me if she found out I spent that much on just one computer part. Yea, maybe I will wait til Black Friday to see if I can get one on sale......
                              Created by Sonic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X