Good widescreen (24") gaming monitor?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good widescreen (24") gaming monitor?

Curious to see what people recommend as a good widescreen (24") gaming LCD. Right now I have a 19" Samsung 931BF square LCD, 2ms response time and I love it. Gotta say, out of all the makers I've seen in person (admittedly, only what's at Best Buy), Samsung really seems to make top quality stuff. I was looking at the following monitor form Samsung, but it doesn't have any tilt sadly enough:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824001280

So, basically I'm looking for a good 24" widescreen that does well with gaming, no ghosting issues, fast response time, etc. Samsung would be awesome, but other options would be fine as well. I know there's a good amount of you guys out there that play with these big monsters, so weigh in if you would please. :)

(also, if you've noticed issues with 24" screens and gaming with regard to size/aspect ration, feel free to mention perhaps smaller widescreens as well)
    [squadl]
    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Re: Good widescreen (24") gaming monitor?

A guy from PR hit me up on Xfire a couple weeks ago and asked what 24" to get, and I game him a list. He ended up getting the Samsung you linked above, with the touch of color, and said he is very happy with it. He was also going up from like a 17" or 19".

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Yea, the only thing that I don't really like about the Samsung I listed here is that there is no vertical tilt on it. I'm leery of getting anything that I wouldn't be able to adjust in case I have viewing angle issues.
      [squadl]

Comment

By the way, don't go by what is on display at best buy. They always look horrible. I got mine at bestbuy because it was on sale super cheep and I spent time looking at reviews. Went to the store and it looked horrible on display. Bought it anyway, got home, and it was great. Mine is only a 22" acer though.

I know Bestbuy usually sells the 24" Gateway, and it has tons of trick stuff and there are lots of reviews at major tech sites for it.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Worse, Best Buy puts the best screens on an upper shelf, and the viewing angle of these displays should be downward-looking. All of these screens look crappy when viewed from below.

I've been pretty happy with my Samsung 25.5". The only annoyance is the glossy black frame, which reflects room lights.
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I just got a 22" dell 1680x1050 and have been using it as an HDTV in my bedroom as well as external display for my UX. I don't have much experience with lcd's other than laptops, but that dell is amazing.
            Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
            The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Here is what I have and I well please with it.

Motherboard: EVGA 780i
              Graphic Card: EVGA NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512
              Monitor: Dell 2407WFP-HC
              DVD: Philips SPD6104P SCSI DVD
              Sound: Creative X-FI Audio
              Power Supply: Corsair TX750W
              CPU: E8400
              Memory: Patriot 4G 2Gx2
              Hard Drive: 500G
              Case: Antec P182

Just make sure you have a graphic card that will drive 1920x1200.
              The Old Guy
              kin3
              sigpic

Comment

I have very litle space in my "Gaming Den/Dungeon" but I need something that can double as a DVD/Blu-ray screen as well as a PC Gaming Monitor..I would prefer a 26" so that I can get 1080P but there seem to be only a few that meet the criteria for connections etc..

Comment

I am thinking about getting that one you linked above Tarpan, If I do end up getting it I'll let you know how I like it.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. ~ Jimi Hendrix

And isn't it a bad thing to be deceived about the truth, and a good thing to know what the truth is? For I assume that by knowing the truth you mean knowing things as they really are. ~ Plato

Comment

Yea, I really would like to get the one I linked too. It looks really good in Best Buy, even with the fact that they split their video signals so many ways it's amazing there's any picture at all! The only thing that worries me as I said is the lack of tilt adjustment, though it seems like viewing angles keep getting better every day. Stand LCDs also don't seem to have the problem of laptop LCDs, i.e. if you shift a half inch in your viewing angle you can still see, but the colors/brightness/etc seem off.

I guess if worse comes to worse I can just buy one and try it out, return it if I don't like it! I did that with an LCD tv I bought once. Owned the thing for less than a week before I took it back and bought a flat tube instead. Sucks finding out after the fact that your cable carrier only has like 10 HD stations and they're all like Home Garden network. Sucks worse that your cable company gets bought out about 2 months later by a company that does have 100's of HD channels...

Like with women, my timing in television seems to suck something terrible.
                    [squadl]

Comment

Get a 24* gaming monitor with 2ms-5ms, no higher. I'd recommend 2ms-4ms.
                      Next, make sure to look for high refresh rate, since you do not want flickering in your screen, which can indeed cause eye strain and give you a headache. I strongly recommend 85Hz and above! And of course obviously, it has to have 1920x1200 resolution since it's a 24*. If you have any other questions, just ask.

I'm a fan of Samsung, Gateway and LG monitors, they're pretty good, just don't go for something like Acer.

Comment

One thing I forgot to mention is if you want to future proof it as much as possible, try and find one that has displayport. It is supposed to be the future replacement of DVI, and more and more video cards are coming with DP outs.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X