• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experimental Minefield browser from Mozilla is crazy fast

This looks pretty interesting:

Experimental Minefield browser from Mozilla is crazy fast

I'm in love. With a browser.

Nope, it's not Firefox, and not Safari, though I've had flings with both in the past. Not Camino, not even Chrome.

My new thing is with Minefield, from Mozilla. Okay, so Minefield is essentially an early build of the next version of Firefox. But the latest version has a drastically improved Javascript engine under the hood. Is it fast? Let me tell you - it's crazy fast. In fact, Ars Technica is reporting that Minefield is 10% faster than Google Chrome.
    It is actually just a kind of early test beta of the next Firefox. Make sure you read the comments and understand what you are doing if you want to give it a try.
    When you download, it is firefox-3.1b2pre.en-US.win32.installer.
    Just don't want anyone overwriting their current Firefox if it does do that.
    If you want to just give firefox 3.1beta a go, here is the portable version
    http://portableapps.com/apps/interne..._portable/test
    It is just not the newest super fast build.
    WOW!!! :row__739:

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Experimental Minefield browser from Mozilla is crazy fast

I attempted to try out the 64 bit version of Minefield, but couldn't get it running separate from FFX3.
    Last edited by Spulat; 10-29-2008, 11:03 PM. Reason: meant FFX3, not 2.
    "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
    Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

I gave a short run on my netbook. Pretty fast, but it's only a alpha, so we won't be seeing this until probably FF4.x.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

It's called Minefield precisely because it's the bleeding edge development branch, and will likely blow up in your face. (Red Hat's Rawhide Linux is the same thing for Red Hat products, and the warning there is that it will eat babies. ;))

These things aren't even alpha. Alpha implies an official preview to select customers.

OTOH, open source development releases tend to be pretty good. I routinely install packages from Rawhide on my server because they're taken from the releases of upstream 3rd party providers, and the risk is more in the packaging.

With Firefox, the risk is more of unexpected bad interactions between new code and old that don't turn up in the first smoke test.
        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

it seems to sort of over write your current FF install but an uninstall from the control panel does the trick of removing it
          Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

mine installed into /minefield for me... seems a bit snappier