Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Configuration: Your Advice

Hi guys,

I am trying to make a best choice between 2 configurations, the PC must be able to play games on medium-high graphics on 1920x1200 resolution.

Here's some based info:
    E8500 6 MB L2 3.16 GHz 1333 MHz 45 nm
    Q9550 12MB L2 2.83 GHz 1333 MHz 45 nm

All general factors are going to be same: Motherboard, 4GB RAM, 500GB hardisk.

The 2 choices are either:
    E8500 + 260 GTX 896MB OR Q9550 + 9800GT 1GB

What would be the best configuration?

Re: Best Configuration: Your Advice

welcome to tactical gamer!

i dont think right now, dual vs quad core will make much of a difference in framerates (maybe 3fps in certain conditions in certain games), and a 3.16 dual core wont be a bottleneck for a long time. i would go with the e8500 and a 260, but i dont recommend the 260 at all because faster ATI cards are cheaper... for a better bang, you can get a 4870 1gb for about 275. ya its 50 more dollars, but it is going to perform like a 280 at high resolutions. and will obliterate your choice of a 260. ya i know what your thinkin... ati ew, but as the next few people will say when they post... probably bamboo next...... ati 4870 is your best bet at high resolution, and that 1gb version will definitly shine at that res

i never had graphic card driver problems until i switched from ati to nvidia
    Last edited by Tonk; 10-30-2008, 03:11 PM.
    powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

Tonk pretty much nailed it.

As resolution and image quality go up the CPU becomes less important, though a slow CPU can bottleneck a video card. However it is better to bottleneck the video card then have a great CPU and a mediocre video card. The video card is what drives games currently and a mediocre CPU will serve you fine.

That doesn't mean you should find a good deal on a Pentium III but a mid to upper level dual core or a mid level quad will be a solid choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Long Bow View Post
        Tonk pretty much nailed it.

As resolution and image quality go up the CPU becomes less important, though a slow CPU can bottleneck a video card. However it is better to bottleneck the video card then have a great CPU and a mediocre video card. The video card is what drives games currently and a mediocre CPU will serve you fine.

That doesn't mean you should find a good deal on a Pentium III but a mid to upper level dual core or a mid level quad will be a solid choice.

It'll be another year at the very least, before games start being released that are optimized for more than two cores. Only now are some games being release that have dual core optimizations.

Your best bet for the next year or two, is go with the dual core, and for the price of that 260... get a 1GB HD4870. The 4870 is still your current best bang for the buck.

Last, but not least (and to partially answer Tonk's comment on CPU bottle-necking the video card traffic), the latest and greatest cards are only now coming close to the max bandwidth of PCI-e x16 1.1, which cannot soak any dual-core system really. It's still miles away from grinding the 2.0 standard.
        "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
        Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

if you clocked a c2d conroe down to like.... 1.1 ghz, it *might* be close to being a bottleneck, could still do about as much as a 2.6 pentium 4, just to put in perspective how much a processor doesnt matter ( for FPS gains)
          powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Tonk View Post
            if you clocked a c2d conroe down to like.... 1.1 ghz, it *might* be close to being a bottleneck, could still do about as much as a 2.6 pentium 4, just to put in perspective how much a processor doesnt matter ( for FPS gains)
            /nods
            "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
            Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

If you're building now, go with the E8500 and the GTX260.

The quad-core doesn't offer a significant improvement in most games over a dual-core. Unless you're planning to do a lot more than gaming on your machine (like game development), then go with the dual-core and the GTX graphics card.

Tonk nails it again. :)

Oh and take a look at the ATI HD4870 instead of the GTX260. nV drivers are too unstable right now to put much faith in.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Al right, thanks everybody for your advice.

Here's what I've came up with:
                MSI P45 Neo-F
                Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
                A-Data Dual Extreme Edition 2x2GB
                Seagate Barracuda 500GB 32MB 7200
                Sapphire Radeon 4870 1GB
                Chieftec power supply 550W
                RaidMax Ninja Case
                SAMSUNG SH-S223Q 22X DVD +/-RW LIGHTSCRIBE S-ATA OEM BLACK

I'll use Windows XP Pro 32bit or Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit.

What do you guys think about my configuration? Anything to change?

Comment

looks like a nice setup, do you have access to 64 bit vista? current gen graphic cards eat a gig of your possible 4gb memory, so you only have about 3.8gb available, shouldnt be a problem, but you paid for 4gb, might as well get what you paid for. i cant be for certain but anyone know what the current cards eat for power? i know they are all about the same, 550 watt is the low end of the spectrum these days

i know the 4870x2 draws about 250 itself, the 280 is 240watt, the 260 is 200, but i think the 4870 is 180watt, i read that somewhere, i have to run so i cant research it right now, but your power supply might need to be upgraded, faster processor, and a badass gfx card might overpower that one...

can i get a second opinion on those two topics?