PC Fails to boot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Fails to boot

So, my brother PC fails to boot anymore. We get no output to the monitor - No signal being detected. We have tried both the monitor, and the video card in another system and they work fine. We also swapped out the power supply. Plugging into the motherboard video is also a flop. No beeps, warnings, or bios messages (duh, no video output). My first gut feeling, and current thought is the motherboard is fried. Any ideas, thoughts, or tips on how to get this working again?

Re: PC Fails to boot

Did you try resetting the bios settings through the physical trip on the motherboard?

Were any hardware or software changes made recently?

Also examine the components on the motherboard for damage.
    |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

^^^trying to get it to boot "bare bones" would be worth a try. Check the MOBO BIOS (may need to flash the same or update it), and connect just minimal RAM, HD, video, mouse and keyboard. (no extra drives or gear attached)

Comment

Originally posted by jb4 View Post
        ^^^trying to get it to boot "bare bones" would be worth a try. Check the MOBO BIOS (may need to flash the same or update it), and connect just minimal RAM, HD, video, mouse and keyboard. (no extra drives or gear attached)
        I would go further than that and just hook up a known good power supply to the motherboard, the PC speaker to the motherboard, and NOTHING else (also if the mobo has a status LED on it, that's extra helpful). If it beeps, then it's actually trying to POST.

If it doesn't beep and no lights go on, then the board is toast.
        "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
        Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Thanks for the comments thus far:

Originally posted by Namebot View Post
          Did you try resetting the bios settings through the physical trip on the motherboard?

Were any hardware or software changes made recently?

Also examine the components on the motherboard for damage.
          * No, we have not tried to reset it. I was trying to find that in the MB manual.
          * No hardware / software changes.
          * No visual damage on the MB, or parts. No phyisical damage could be made, and I don't see any black marks, scratches, etc. =)

Originally posted by jb4 View Post
          Yes, it was not booting bare bones. Still no video output.

Originally posted by Spulat View Post
          I would go further than that and just hook up a known good power supply to the motherboard, the PC speaker to the motherboard, and NOTHING else (also if the mobo has a status LED on it, that's extra helpful). If it beeps, then it's actually trying to POST.

If it doesn't beep and no lights go on, then the board is toast.
          No beep, no lights.. It's not my MB so I am unfamilular. Looked around but I could not find an LED anywhere on it.

UPDATE: CMOS reset failed. Time to visit the local loot store.
          Last edited by ZaBoo; 10-30-2008, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Any bulging/busted capacitors?
            It's Gaming
            Proud to have been a member of the 55th Infantry Division!

Comment

I'm sorry Jim its dead.
              Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

That's a classic dead board. Good luck with a replacement. ;)
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

My old s939 DFI board had two video slots a PCI-e x16 and a PCI-e x4, not SLI but for dual cards etc. I had the same problem, one day no video output, I tried different cards, monitors etc but nothing.

My computer sounded fine, like it was booting into windows. I then tried the second slot and I had video again. The PCI-E x16 slot had died on me.

Comment

Originally posted by Long Bow View Post
                    My old s939 DFI board had two video slots a PCI-e x16 and a PCI-e x4, not SLI but for dual cards etc. I had the same problem, one day no video output, I tried different cards, monitors etc but nothing.

My computer sounded fine, like it was booting into windows. I then tried the second slot and I had video again. The PCI-E x16 slot had died on me.
                    Unforutnatly, there is no second PCI-E slot. It was a very cheap board; Heck it only had two DIMM slots.

Onboard video still should work right... I think I give up anyways. Waiting to visit the loot store some day.

Comment

Originally posted by ZaBoo View Post
                      Unforutnatly, there is no second PCI-E slot. It was a very cheap board; Heck it only had two DIMM slots.

Onboard video still should work right... I think I give up anyways. Waiting to visit the loot store some day.
                      I would assume that if it is only the PCI-E slot then yes the onboard should still work?

However relying on the onboard doesn't fix your problem. I would double check that there are no conflicts by first dissabling onboard video in the BIOS and retry. Past that I'm not sure?

I have seen LCD monitors (Viewsonic) that would loose the signal for some reason and needed to go through a lengthy reset processes to "see" the signal again.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X