iTunes, iPod and drm free music.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iTunes, iPod and drm free music.

Are the songs on itunes, even if bought drm free from amazon, protected somehow?

A friend of mine has bought a couple of hundred songs from amazon and put them on his ipod. But her laptop was recently lost (probably stolen) and the only backup she has is on her ipod.

There are also some iTunes purchased music on the iPod as well.

Is there any way to get the music off the iPod on onto her new computer?
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Re: iTunes, iPod and drm free music.

you get to authorize 5 computers for each itunes account. just add the new computer and the songs on the ipod shoud sync.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
      Are the songs on itunes, even if bought drm free from amazon, protected somehow?

A friend of mine has bought a couple of hundred songs from amazon and put them on his ipod. But her laptop was recently lost (probably stolen) and the only backup she has is on her ipod.

There are also some iTunes purchased music on the iPod as well.

Is there any way to get the music off the iPod on onto her new computer?
      There also shady ways of getting songs off iPods.

Comment

The iPod purposely obfuscates the song filenames and creates its own database. This is to prevent people from using the iPod to distribute music.

The funny thing is security through obfuscation is not really secure.

http://www.copytrans.net/ - I think this is free. I searched for CopyPod that I used to use to get music from my iPod to my PC. This came up instead.

If the songs are mp3's, they're definitely DRM free!

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Theres tons of software to copy music off the Ipod, heres a list, although I am not sure how updated it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari..._iPod_Managers

In the future remember this:

Comment

Thanks everybody. This is the first iPod I have ever touched I think.

To be clear, I shouldn't plug in the iPod if iTunes is installed, correct? I remember hearing someplace that if you do this after the sync all the music on the iPod will be gone because it isn't in the iTunes library.

Or is it good enough just to not have iTunes running? She doesn't care about getting the iTunes purchased music much as there are only a couple of songs. But hundreds of Amazon purchased music.
            - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
            - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
            - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
            - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
              Thanks everybody. This is the first iPod I have ever touched I think.

To be clear, I shouldn't plug in the iPod if iTunes is installed, correct? I remember hearing someplace that if you do this after the sync all the music on the iPod will be gone because it isn't in the iTunes library.

Or is it good enough just to not have iTunes running? She doesn't care about getting the iTunes purchased music much as there are only a couple of songs. But hundreds of Amazon purchased music.

NO no you can set it not to sync. Even if you do have it synced I'm not sure does it delete.

Comment

I have a different question since I could never find a good answer to it:

About 2 years back I was overseas at a friend's house in Hong Kong and I used iTunes on his computer (and authorized it) so I could upload a few songs to my iPod Nano (2G).

How would I go about deauthorzing his computer without access to it?
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                  I have a different question since I could never find a good answer to it:

About 2 years back I was overseas at a friend's house in Hong Kong and I used iTunes on his computer (and authorized it) so I could upload a few songs to my iPod Nano (2G).

How would I go about deauthorzing his computer without access to it?
                  I did have to do this a couple years ago when the company I worked for took my old laptop and wiped it.

I had to email Apple and explain the situation. A couple emails went back and forth and they did de-authorize it eventually. Took a couple of weeks.

Comment

Do I need to send Apple my friend's address and name? What information do I need to have to get his computer deauthorized?
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                      Do I need to send Apple my friend's address and name? What information do I need to have to get his computer deauthorized?
                      Oh yea. I had to use the email the account was registered under, which was also the login id. I did try to use my work email but I never got a response from that one.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X