The "official" TG Intel i7 Nehalem thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "official" TG Intel i7 Nehalem thread

I figured with all the news about to bomb us over the next month about Intel's soon to be released i7 (codename Nehalem), we need one place to put all the links.

News is trickling out slowly already, like this just posted:

Intel Core i7 benchmarks make Core 2 Extreme look like a washed-up has-been

If you click the blue word "READ" after the blurb, it takes you to the site with all the scores. Try to keep your jaw off your desk. And these probably aren't even final release chips/motherboards.

Lots more links to come, I assure you :D
    Post any that you find please! :row__685:

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: The "official" TG Intel i7 Nehalem thread

This is very interesting, thanks for bringing this up.

Here's some links I've went through:

http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archi...080811comp.htm
    http://blogs.intel.com/technology/20...intels_new.php
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/int...rei7,6092.html
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=155947 ASUS P6T X58 Mobo for Intel i7
    http://www.neoseeker.com/news/8636-n...turbo-feature/

INFO is taken from tomshardware.com Sneak Peek: Four Core i7 X58 Motherboards

The ASUS P6T X58 for the new Intel i7 CPU's is pretty sweet, has a OC Palm Tool/Panel that:
    1) facilitates real-time multiplier adjustments without needing to mess with the BIOS or even a Windows-based utility.
    2) interfaces with its TurboV controller to enable access to several voltages: northbridge, PCI Express, CPU PLL, and memory voltages in .02V increments.
    3) You can use the OC Palm to monitor voltage, fan speed, and temperature, too.
    4) A couple of hot key buttons will let you fire up saved profiles if you need an extra boost of speed and have a configuration stored that you know runs stably.

Some pretty nice features in my opinion.
    Last edited by GameSpider; 11-01-2008, 04:59 AM.

Comment

First question: how much is the i7 920 supposed to cost when it comes out?

From the performance numbers alone, the 920 is roughly twice as fast as my E8400 (based on the comparison with the E8600). It should mean that my boot time of about 1:30 should drop down to 0:45.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I think boot time would also be quite dependent on HDD speed, thats were Intel's SSDs come in. Intel has you covered!
        Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Originally posted by Reaperassault View Post
          I think boot time would also be quite dependent on HDD speed, thats were Intel's SSDs come in. Intel has you covered!
          Maybe. Intel isn't known for HDDs, so I'm worried about long-term reliability and dependability. I know if I put data on a Seagate, 5 years down the road, it's going to be pretty safe. Intel is just getting into the hard drive market. Too soon to tell.

I've heard speculation that the i7s might come out starting at $300 a chip, but are these just rumors or are they based on fact?
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

That is their recommended price, but if it is anything like when the q9450 came out, if there is limited stock, it is going to be way more. If it comes out and there is tons of stock to go around, I should be around $300.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Hmm, interesting. Too bad it uses a new socket. LGA775 is going to become history when that new i7 comes out. Guess I should have invested in a quad-core at $280 instead of saving $100 for my E8400.

What's the i7's rated TDP? Is it going to be a 45W CPU? Or still going to be 65W?
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

From the great Fudzilla

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...0082&Itemid=35

well so far intel drives are the fastest SSDs around right now and you don't have to worry about mechanical failure with flash drives, imagine a nice RAID 0 and a nice i7 965 and there you go most ridiculously awesome system around

Comment

Originally posted by Reaperassault View Post
                  From the great Fudzilla

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...0082&Itemid=35

well so far intel drives are the fastest SSDs around right now and you don't have to worry about mechanical failure with flash drives, imagine a nice RAID 0 and a nice i7 965 and there you go most ridiculously awesome system around
                  I've had flash memory go bad on me several times (and a OCZ flash drive). I'm not worried about mechanical failure with SSDs. I'm worried about the NAND Flash chips going bad.

If supply is great and the price is $300 for the i7s, then it should drive the prices of current quads down to what some of the lower end duals are ($110 - $140). That should mean the E5200 could be cheaper than a current E2180.

I wonder if dual-core Celerons will drop to sub-$50 (maybe $20)?
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Lots of informative Info here.
                    http://www.intel.com/technology/arch...icon/next-gen/

Learn more about Next-Generation Intel Microarchitecture.(Excellent presentation to convey how well this tech will work).
                    http://www.intel.com/technology/arch.../demo/demo.htm
                    Last edited by Extinct; 11-02-2008, 01:43 AM.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. ~ Jimi Hendrix

And isn't it a bad thing to be deceived about the truth, and a good thing to know what the truth is? For I assume that by knowing the truth you mean knowing things as they really are. ~ Plato

Comment

Holy crap..........

Intel's Core i7 purchased, overclocked, benchmarked

Remember to click the blue READ link for more..............

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

That is by far the worst "review" you've linked to thus far Bam.

12 page thread with one-liners that usually read: "more pics", "pics or it didn't happen", or "bench it nowz".

No mention of cost, 1 picture, no review. Meh, disappointing.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

You didn't read far enough. He starts posting stuff later on (it is 20+ pages long), and some other people have picked one up as well.

But i agree, there must be a ton of dumbass haters on that forum.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

If I read it right then there is no over clocking on anything costing less than the $1000.00 one.

Will require a new motherboard.

Will require a new cpu cooler.

Will require DDR3 memory.
                            The Old Guy
                            kin3
                            sigpic

Comment

you can OC on the lower models but they have "overspeed" protection (they are limited to not exceed the 130W mark), so OCing is going to very varied. you can still adjust base clock speed but not the multiplier so that also is a big limiting factor, the i7 965 extreme unlocks the multiplier and makes the overspeed protection adjustable.

I know Tom's has been a bit rough lately but this is still a good article

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...alem,2057.html
                              Last edited by Reaperassault; 11-03-2008, 10:47 AM. Reason: more details

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X