HDD Help/ Clarification

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDD Help/ Clarification

my computer has been in the shop for a little under a week now, for a problem i thought was a massive virus attack that my regular virus software could detact or irradicate.

now i am a fairly paranoid person when it comes to downloading stuff and running it through a a scan on a removable hard drive before i even think and watching a movie or playing music through iunes.

so back to my story.... they (computr repair people) ran my hard drive through a "strss test" and i gues it failed in the stress test.. final verdict now...not virus but hard drive EPIC failure!!!! so my question after all of that is this: is it better to have a larger hard drive or multiple small ones?

since i have to totally reboot everything, i want to dabble in ubuntu. now i would like to have a dual boot system (vista 32 & ubuntu) and i would like to have such OS on their own respectable partitions, a.) do i have a large one to do it, or b.) have two smaller ones or each OS and have a third HD for all of my games and programs that i run (which is a lot).

so my two choice's i have narrowd down for myself are these:

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 750GB Hard Drive - 7200, 16MB, Serial ATA-300, OEM -
    &
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB Hard Drive - 7200RPM, 32MB, SATA-300, OEM

so what one would be good for me or should i go with small ones like 250 or something???

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Re: HDD Help/ Clarification

If you have the money, I would suggest having Linux on it's own separate drive. Especially if you use Vista, you're in for a world of hurt to try to set up any kind of bootloader for either system having both of them on the same drive.

Have Windows and your games on one hard drive, and your Linux on the other. If you want to boot one or the other, choose the respective drive on the boot menu when you first turn the computer on (F8/F12 to select boot device, etc). All in all if performance is the bigger deal, and size is second, and you're only comparing those two drives I would look at the specifications for Seek Time, Avg Burst Rate. etc. to find out which is the better performer.

Having multiple smaller drives doesn't do anything to fend back the chance of failure that's always present, with the exception of configuring two of them in RAID1 (Mirror). I had a drive fail on me in the mirror and it stated that it lost the drive, but it still booted off the mirrored drive with similar performance.

I'd recommend getting two 250GB drives, unless storage is a big deal (I personally have a FreeAgent Pro 500GB for backup purposes and extra storage). That way you have options if you decide Linux isn't working.

For reference, I run a RAID0 (Striped) with two 160GB drives for roughly 300GB of higher performance storage that has no fault tolerance. However, I run an automated backup every day over my network to the FreeAgent drive, and I run my work computer as a virtual machine in Vista with VMware on it's own 2.5" 7200 rpm SATA drive.
    "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
    Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

I use that 500 GB hard drive and it's very nice. I also have a WD 250 GB that i partition out a piece for windows to install on and the rest for backup files. I put all my programs on the 500 GB and use perfect disk. With the partition you keep windows files at the head of the drive (fastest) which is what you want.

If i could i'd run a 10k rpm 50gb or so drive just for windows but i'm not to that point yet. This one works great for me.

- -

Comment

cool guys.... thanks for the help. i think that i am going to go with the help that you gys said. in my situation i think that the Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB Hard Drive - 7200RPM, 32MB, SATA-300, OEM will be good for me now and then later i can install a smaller driver for linux. love the help and thanks again

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

I am in the same situation and was looking at putting just the OS on a 10,000rpm 74G/B hard drive and a 10,000rpm 300G/B for applications and a 500 G/B 7,200rpm for storage.

I know if I put the applications on a seperate hard drive windows will still write information to the registry and the main drive C: so if I do a reformat of the OS I will still have to re-install all the applications, so I was wondering is it worth putting the apps on a seperate drive or just to put both the apps and the OS on the same 10,000rpm 300G/B drive and just have a second 500G/B drive for file storage?
          Is there any benefit to having the apps on a seperate drive?

Comment

If an app is highly integrated with Windows (ie. installs crap in the registry and \Windows), then put it on the OS partition. If it's self-supporting (you can copy it to another machine and It Just Works, like World of Warcraft and most older games), put it on a separate partition, or at least in a directory tree separate from \Programs. (I put all my games under \Games and get rid of spaces in the directory names, to make the names easy to type without quotes.)
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I use multiple HDD's. I have one for operating system and certain programs. the second HDD is for games ONLY and the third HDD is a 500Gb storage drive.

My games run a lot faster and smoother with them being on a separate HDD. I know a lot of people think it doesn't make a difference but I do notice a huge difference in how my games load and play. My OS HDD is not large at all, it is only a 36Gb Raptor and almost half is filled up from the programs and the OS itself. Most of the programs consist of stuff that help clean up my computer though: AV, CCleaner, PerfectDisk defrag for OS HDD and storage, and Ultimate Defrag for defragging my game HDD. I also have a Daemon Tools and some programs for burning/ making CD'S/DVD's.

Of course I would like to get a larger OS HDD and game HDD(it is a 74Gb Raptor). I think 2-300Gb Raptors would be nice, lol. NOT for RAID0 though. I personally never seen any real performance running RAID0 when I had 2-36Gb Raptors in RAID0.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Just a note about hard drives: they fail. I've seen drives fail a week after being taken out of the box, and I've seen hard drives that still function after 15+ years of work (I had a 15 year old Mac brought to me last week to transfer files off of). Hard drives are mechanical devices and thus are subject to failure (or non-failure) at any time.

I used a single HDD now, though I used to use multiples (OS + integrated programs on one, games/etc on another). I really haven't seen any difference switching up to a single HDD with regard to load speeds and such. For my users I recommend an external HDD to back up their files, but I don't recommend secondary internal drives.
                  [squadl]
                  "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X