Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FPS - Getting Huge Spikes

Hi guys.
    Recently purchased new 9800GTX+, 512MB vid card. But also changed ISP (World Xchange) around same time - use Linksys router with upload around 8000kbps.
    General graphics use is ok but when playing Counter Strike Source, I now get huge spikes in FPS. From as low as 2 up to 150, constantly up and down. So much lag now, game is unplayable. My Ping however is always good - around 40-60.
    Have upgraded PSU to 550W. CPU is AMD 3500+ (2.21Ghz), 2 GB RAM, Win XP. System temp around 30deg C. Vid card runs around 48 deg C. Have run Nvidia stability test on major components (CPU, RAM, Vid Card etc) and all appear ok. Defrag'd HDD and registry. Have current drivers. Turned off Vsync etc. Turned off shadows in game and use min vid sets. Advice welcome please.
    Cheers

Re: FPS - Getting Huge Spikes

Which operating system are you using?

Did you make any changes recently to the game? (new skins, etc.)
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Hi mate, thx for getting back.
      I use Win XP with latest updates. And yes I have been using some new skins lately but I thought they were running ok with them? Maybe that could be a problem. Maybe a fresh reinstall of the game is needed? I had also recently done a Windows Repair install. Maybe some of that didn't go so well but other than gaming, Windows seems to run ok.

Cheers

Comment

Start removing the gun skins you added one by one.

I know a few gun skins I used to use would cause horrible framerate drops because of a massively overly complex model (too many sides, vertexes, etc.). You might have the same problem.

You may not need to do a clean reinstall unless you deleted some core CS:S files.

You also may want to make sure you plugged the 6/8-pin PCI-E connector to the end of your 9800GTX+. This could easily be caused by inadequate power flow as well.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Completely removed Steam and all associated games - including registry. Then reinstalled from fresh. Unfortunately there was no change...
          I'll see if I can borrow a higher powered PSU than my 550, in case that is my problem. And even though I've dusted inside, I'll buy the aerosol can option and try that as well. Running out of ideas

Comment

The PSU shouldn't be a problem, my guess would be a bad video card. Try a different PSU though as maybe yours is dying.
            Do you have any other games you can test?

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
            In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

Great picture there - men running up to the helos.
              My son has bought CofD4: Modern Warfare. I'll get him to load it up and try that online. Good idea. And re a possible bad card, I just rang the shop and they will check out my system on Mon to see if anything is evident regarding hardware.

Thx guys

Comment

After trying all sorts of options to fix the FPS spiking and huge lag, I ended up taking the computer to the shop. A test showed the 9800GT card presented too much of a task for the 24" AOC monitor, AMD 3500+ CPU and the motherboard. Replaced with an ASUS P5Q board, 4GB RAM and a 3Ghz Intel dual core CPU. Problems gone. So happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Bracken View Post
                  After trying all sorts of options to fix the FPS spiking and huge lag, I ended up taking the computer to the shop. A test showed the 9800GT card presented too much of a task for the 24" AOC monitor, AMD 3500+ CPU and the motherboard. Replaced with an ASUS P5Q board, 4GB RAM and a 3Ghz Intel dual core CPU. Problems gone. So happy.
                  Nice to hear you found a solution. Happy hunting with your new rig. :)
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X