Laptop?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop?

Alright, I think I have my wife talked into letting us buy a new laptop. My question is what is a really good CHEAP laptop? All I really want it to do is the basics...no gaming cause I figure I have my desktop for that and then laptop could be for accessing the web and doing basic stuff and very simple games like solitaire or whatever to keep my wife happy.
    I am also not sure of what OS I would like to have cause I am only use to the Windows OS's. Thinking about trying some other OS's but just not sure YET. I was actually looking at one of the Eee laptops cause they are really all I think I would need. Also, can the Eee laptops be upgraded with RAM or HDD?

Re: Laptop?

dell mini 9

I just got one and I love it.

8 or 16gig ssd, up to 2gig ram, wifi, bt, xp.

I got the 16g w/ webcam, upgraded it to 2gig, and popped in a 16gig sd card. sweet little machine. I get about 4.5 hrs out of the 2# paperback book-sized computer. Get a refurb and you can have the same one I got for ~400.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

For $350, I suggest a Acer AspireOne (the HDD version with XP).

The $350 AAO comes with the following:
      • Windows XP Home Edition
      • 3 x USB 2.0 ports
      • VGA out
      • 10/100 ethernet jack
      • 120 GB 5,400 RPM HDD
      • 1 GB of DDR2 533 RAM
      • Built-in wireless supporting 802.11 a/b/g.
      • 3-cell battery
      • Around 2.25 pounds with battery
      • 8.9" LED-backlit LCD screen (1024 x 600 native resolution)
      • Available in White, Pink, Blue, Copper/Brown, and Black
        The remaining specs are pretty the same as every other Intel Atom-based netbook.

Although upgrading RAM requires the user to dismantle the entire netbook, it can be done with some patience and steady hands. You could replace the included 512 MB DIMM with a 1 GB DIMM making your total memory 1.5 GBs.

I currently own the $400 AAO (with the 160 GB HDD and 6-cell battery). I use it for web surfing, some basic photoshopping and web page editing/writing, JAVA programming and compiling, movies, and minor gaming (Starcraft, Red Alert 2, etc.).
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I asked this question with quite some time to ponder over my options and choices. I don't actually plan on getting a laptop real soon. Maybe the first of the year was more of what I was leaning to but I figure ask now and then do as much research as I can till I actually make my decision.
        Laptops are pretty much new to me, I have only fooled with a laptop maybe a few times. Like when a friend asked me to format and do a fresh install on his Compaq laptop a few months ago. What got me to really wanting a laptop was when my youngest son was just on the hospital for almost a week, I was going stir crazy not being able to do anything and how I wished I had a laptop at the time. At least I would have been able to get online. Also, my son may need to go back in a for another stay in the hospital but in Pittsburgh, PA. I may buy one right before this happens, hopefully he doesn't need to go though and it would most likely be around the first of the year this might take place.

Comment

Note that Linux needs less memory than Windows. That's why the sub-notebook vendors chose it to implement before trying to cram in XP.

I can confirm that as for awhile my game machine was having trouble with WoW on 2 sticks of 1 GB memory. So I pulled a stick to make it more stable and started running WoW under WINE in CentOS 5 Linux and it ran just as smooth with 1 GB as with 2 under Windows.
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

The Acer Aspire One, as mentioned, is one of the best right now for overall power and portability.

If you need a general use laptop that doesn't specifically need to be small, and you do need a DVD drive in it, there's any number of 14" and 15" laptops that go on sale with mostly bare-bones configurations.

If it's just a utility machine, you don't need to be all that concerned with having good specs. Just make sure the machine has 2GB of RAM or better, and I wouldn't get anything less than a dual-core processor (I'm not sure they even sell single-core laptops anymore...)
            "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
            Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

If you're lucky you can usually find a sub-$500 15" laptop with 2 GB of RAM at your local BestBuy or Micro Center around the holidays.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

They had a 15" Acer laptop for sale at MicroCenter, at the same time I bought my AA1, for $370. I was nearly tempted because it was only $20 more than the AA1.
                "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Toshiba
                  3GB RAM
                  Dual Core T3200
                  160GB HD
                  15.4" WS
                  Vista Home Premium/SP1
                  Wireless G
                  8X DVD Burner
                  $499

also, this weekend Walmart has basically the same laptop but for $298

Comment

My suggestion:

First decide exactly what you want to do with the machine. Is it a replacement for a desktop and it will sit on a desk all the time? Do you want to surf with it in your lap while watching TV? Is this thing going to be a Crysis eating gaming monster?

Since you have a while before you need to buy then go to the big box stores and look at their machines. The main thing you want to figure out is what size you want. It would really suck to buy a nice little laptop with a 10" lcd and find that it is too small to be useful to you.

Keep in mind that bigger is not always better. My father in law bought a 17" Laptop a while back and it is a beast. It's a great machine but it's too big to be useful. It doesn't fit comfortably in his lap and it is too big to be really portable. I personally have a 14.5" machine and it is perfect for what I need. It's light enough to carry around but large enough that I don't have any problems seeing anything.

After you pick a general size then you can decide on the hardware requirements such as needed disk space and such.
                    Retired 6th DB

Comment

Found a link to this:
                      http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp?cat=1026142

Comment

Originally posted by birdie_in_Texas View Post
                        Nice find Birdie. If I could +rep you I would. :)
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

As I stated, I do want something that is very portable, no I do not want a gaming rig cause I do have my desktop PC for that. The laptop will at the most play games such as Chuzzle, Bejeweled, solitaire or other somewhat simple games my wife may like. So, nothing there should tax even a 1Gb computer unless it has a bunch of preloaded junk on it to begin with.
                          I don't want to lug around a laptop that should be sitting on a desktop cause of it's size either. What I need to do is actually go and see one of the 8.9" sized laptops I have been checking out to really get an idea of the size. I don't wanna hold the thing to my face in order to see what is on the screen though. I pretty much have an idea of what I am looking for just thought maybe some people would be able to help. My wife is wanting us to get an Apple Macbook Air though but I am not wanting anything that expensive PLUS have never used any Mac OS.
                          I do like the price of that Compaq Birdie BUT only 2 problems. First problem I don't have the money ATM to spare but was going to go get it anyway AND the second problem is that is only in available stores. I already went to Wally World this morning with a printed out page and they said they don't have it and only in available stores. My Wally World sucks. I did however have them call the next closest Wally World(65 miles away) and they have it but really didn't want to waste my Saturday, I have other plans.

Comment

Originally posted by msdz
                            I do like the price of that Compaq Birdie BUT only 2 problems.
                            I've never heard of the Compaq Birdie and a Google search doesn't turn up anything recent.

Is there a link to it somewhere?
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

LOL Wise . That was left blank for you to fill in.
                              Anywho, wife and I have pretty much made our minds up on what we want and went and looked at a couple laptops yesterday. Of course we are going to hold off till Black Friday or the beginning of the year. I am sure better deals and computers will be available then. Laptop will probably not get used a whole lot anyway so no real big rush to get one.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X