Remote Desktop Woes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Desktop Woes

Im used to using vnc, but my new htpc is vista 64. So I've started using Remote Desktop. The problem is every time I disconnect remotely the computer is locked and requires a password. Very disruptive for an htpc. I have searched everywhere and could not find a solution, I was hoping someone around here had a work around or knew of a fixable registry setting.

Re: Remote Desktop Woes

I found a possible solution to your problem: Source

Originally posted by Vistax64.com Forum
    RDC is per session base, thus username/password is required for every logon,
    it is just like logging on/off physically at the computer. To remove the
    hassle of entering the password everytime you connect to the host computer,
    on the guest computer, you can actually make RDC remember your credentials.
    Click on the Options button when the RDC is loaded. There is a checkbox at
    the logon settings page which says "Save my password".
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Thanks for the reply but the password is only remembered on the guest side. The host remains locked after I disconnect and I have to physically go to the machine to unlock it.

Maybe there is a way to kill the remote desktop on the host side while logged in with guest. That way the machine would stay unlocked. But I have no idea how to do that. It isn't on of the processes.
      Last edited by Hambergler; 11-07-2008, 08:58 AM.

Comment

What was wrong with using VNC? I've seen it released with 64-bit support but I'm not aware of any issues with it.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
          What was wrong with using VNC? I've seen it released with 64-bit support but I'm not aware of any issues with it.
          Thanks I tried Tightvnc and Realvnc and according to their websites Vista broke vnc, but UltraVNC works perfectly.

Comment

Alas, Windows' nod to multi-user ability is pretty much targeted at corporate use. RDP is designed to allow only one user at a time to use a "workstation", and you have to buy a server license to allow both the console and remote access at the same time. And even then, you have to buy Terminal Server if you want more than an admin to have simultaneous access from multiple sessions.

Which flavor of Vista are you using that includes RDP server? For XP, you need Pro (the business version) to get that. I know Vista Home Premium lacks it, otherwise it would be great for me to remote login to my mom's machine from my house (2 doors down) to fix things. So I'm guessing you have Business or Ultimate.
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

ultimate host and xp pro on guest. I don't see any advantages to RDP. Why not use vnc.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but VNC is a pixel blaster, while RDP works in higher-level GUI objects (eg. rectangles and font glyphs). So RDP tends to be better over low-bandwidth connections (eg. across the Internet on a VPN). But it sounds like you're working over a LAN, so you can afford the higher bandwidth demands of VNC.

I prefer the open-source nature of VNC, but I love the efficiency of RDP when using my office machine from home over the 128 kbps uplinks at home and office.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Just an FYI:

If your using your GPU for folding, then VNC is a must. When you connect via RDP, Windows switches out the current video driver stub for an RDP driver stub. The folding application then aborts the current work unit as unstable. If you get a number of unstable work units in a row, the folding servers then locks you out for 24h before they will serve you another.

Comment

Not sure what pixel blaster means, but you can scale vnc to accommodate any bandwidth. There is also a http java viewer.

Comment

By pixel blaster, I mean that it sends the image of the desktop, rather than a high level description of it. It's like the difference between raster graphics and vector graphics.

Comment

I know the OP has found an answer to his problem, but for anyone else not comfortable with using OSS, another solution would be to press <ctrl> <alt> <end> when in an RDP session and choose Shut Down | Restart.

If you're a member of a domain or have multiple users set up on the PC you're going to need to set up an auto login for this to work.

Comment

My ultimate solution was https://secure.logmein.com/home.asp?lang=en free. I don't know how it will function over small bandwidth, but I can access any of my pcs though a web browser without having to install anything on the guest side.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X