Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How hot can a XFX 7600GT AGP 256 DDRR get....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How hot can a XFX 7600GT AGP 256 DDRR get....

before its in trouble.The fan still spins ,but it's on it's last legs,XFX is sending me a new fan.Playing COD4 it's getting almost mid 70's,when i first got the card it was running to about mid 60's.Is there something better to cool this card other then stock fan,that's cheap and not alot of #$%^%$ around with?Is this card running normal temps?

How hot can I let this card run?

I think this is a great card for a AGP.

Thanks
    P4 - 3.0 HT
    Acer 223w 22"
    XFX 7600GT 256 DDR3 AGP,ATI 650HD TV Tuner Card
    Asus - P4S800
    Kingston 2G 3200 DDR
    Western Digital 80G,Seagate 200G
    X-FI Extreme Music,Logetic X-530
    Thermaltake TR2-430w
    XP Pro

COD4 "DirtyHarry44"

Re: How hot can a XFX 7600GT AGP 256 DDRR get....

60-70 C is quite normal for video cards nowadays. Unless your temperature startings hitting 90+ C, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If you want to get better cooling, browse your local computer hardware store or online (like NewEgg). Coolers usually require a slot or more of room and are made of aluminum and/or copper fins with a fan. They'll run you anywhere from $30 to $100 for a decent to "great" one.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Ok.......but seems to start lagging a bit when it gets hot.Yeah i have no idea about coolers.

Are u familiar with this one.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...ustomerReviews
      P4 - 3.0 HT
      Acer 223w 22"
      Asus - P4S800
      Kingston 2G 3200 DDR
      Thermaltake TR2-430w
      XP Pro

COD4 "DirtyHarry44"

Comment

That's a pretty tall passive cooler. I don't recommend passive coolers unless you know you get plenty of airflow past the heatpipes in the lower part of your case.

You also have to consider if you can even close the side panel of you case after you've installed that heatsink. Some cases don't have a good clearance space above the expansion card space.

I recommend any of the following VGA coolers:

1) Vantec Copper HSF

2) Zalman VF700-CU 2 Copper HSF

3) SilenX IXG-80C Copper HSF

The first one might not require a open PCI slot, but the other two will require the next PCI slot over be empty.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I think my bfg 7600gs died when it hit around 75-80 C. The stock fan was almost dead though so...

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
          In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

Thanks Acreo for steering me in the right direction.Anyone one of you still have AGP?I wish I had the money to do the big pci express switch over,be cool

Thanks guys
            P4 - 3.0 HT
            Acer 223w 22"
            Asus - P4S800
            Kingston 2G 3200 DDR
            Thermaltake TR2-430w
            XP Pro

COD4 "DirtyHarry44"

Comment

i think that's a bit hot for an older agp card but i could be wrong.

- -

Comment

Originally posted by Canadianguy View Post
                Thanks Acreo for steering me in the right direction.Anyone one of you still have AGP?I wish I had the money to do the big pci express switch over,be cool

Thanks guys
                My old gaming rig (now my sister's) uses a eVGA 7600GS AGP8x card. I've recorded and seen the temps hit 75 C on load. On idle the thing would float at 60 C.

Of course, I doubt it has as good of a cooler as your BFG card does. Mines only had a square aluminum "mini" heatsink with a small 40mm fan on it. No memory sinks (open air). I never bothered wasting another $30 on it seeing how I was saving for a new rig (and it could barely play 2142 at 1280 x 1024).

I have heard a good cooler and you could overclock the core and memory past 7600GT speeds. I'm guessing with your GT, you could get 7800GS speeds (minus the lack of 4 extra pipelines).

Oh and make sure you dust out your components. I've had my card hit 90 C a few times because the fan fins were clogged with dust (cheap case with no intake filters).
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Ditto for dusting it out. If you haven't done this, then you really should, even if the temps seem normal. The last time I dusted, I was about a year inbetween, then I vacuumed out my pc...it was horrid in there. Everything ran faster/quieter/cooler afterwards.
                  "What if he has a pointed stick?"

Comment

ive got the same card as you (new build soon i hope) and my idle temps are high 40s with gaming around 60-65. 75 doesnt sound too bad but its defiantly running hot and an aftermarket cooler might be exactly what the doctor ordered :)

Comment

I just picked a VF700-AICu up at my friends store,he just happen to have this in stock.Don't know the diff between this one,the baby of the one u mentioned.The specs seem the same but noticed this one is a little lighter in weight.Any tips or tricks for installing this looked pretty straight forward.But I did read somewhere that the heat sinks might not fit,and something about trimming them is that a good idea?Do you even need them?,The compound that comes with these okay to?

Sorry for all the questions

Thanks again.
                      Last edited by Canadianguy; 11-11-2008, 09:31 PM.
                      P4 - 3.0 HT
                      Acer 223w 22"
                      Asus - P4S800
                      Kingston 2G 3200 DDR
                      Thermaltake TR2-430w
                      XP Pro

COD4 "DirtyHarry44"

Comment

Originally posted by Canadianguy View Post
                        I just picked a VF700-AICu up at my friends store,he just happen to have this in stock.Don't know the diff between this one,the baby of the one u mentioned.The specs seem the same but noticed this one is a little lighter in weight.Any tips or tricks for installing this looked pretty straight forward.But I did read somewhere that the heat sinks might not fit,and something about trimming them is that a good idea?Do you even need them?,The compound that comes with these okay to?

Sorry for all the questions

Thanks again.
                        Depending on how close the memory chips are to the GPU, you may have to trim one or a few of the memory heatsinks.

Usually, you shouldn't have to do any of that if the graphics board is laid out well. I don't have a reference image of your specific graphics board, so I couldn't tell you any specifics.

Just be careful when you take out the old heatsink assembly. Make sure you save the old one just in case.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Use Rivatuner to manually turn the fans to 100 percent.
                          Its easy and works on startup.

Comment

Originally posted by jOHNNYdOUBE View Post
                            Use Rivatuner to manually turn the fans to 100 percent.
                            Its easy and works on startup.
                            He could do that if he doesn't mind have lots of fan noise while sitting at his computer.

Personally, I try to cut down on whatever noise I can and usually a better idea to leave the fan thermally controlled versus always on max (might prolong the lifespan of the fan).
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I got water blocks cuz' i got sick of the fan noise.
                              I had it at 60 for startup and was quiet on twin 3870's.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X