Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AT&T Experiments with a Bandwidth Cap

Source

It seems AT&T will soon follow in Comcast's footsteps, except in this case, the cap is much lower. Each "speed" will also have their own bandwidth cap. PCMag has noted the number "150". No indication as to which speed gets the 150 GB / month cap. If it's the 6.0 mbps speed, then I (on the 3 mbps) might end up going over every few months if it's below 75 GB / month.

At least the Comcast users have it better. I forsee a rate hike in the near future going off of the "minority is ruining it for the majority" rule.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: AT&T Experiments with a Bandwidth Cap

It has been like that here in Ireland from day one and people are sick of it and running to providers without any caps on their products, I for one would never use a provider that caps your Bandwidth, imagine if I wanted to start a business using the internet or had other people living in the house with computers all using the same connection or having friends over for some online gaming, or downloading updates for this and that, using skype, voip and video chatting to friends or even just downloading/streaming 1 HD movie you rented.

The companies see an opportunity for making more money, they are not doing it for our own good, they are not doing it to punish heavy users and anyway heavy users should not be punished, they have all the traffic information for all their users and they have realized that there is money to be made.

And do not get me started on the crappy upload speeds of some providers, 10 mbs download and 780kps upload????? that is a bottleneck people can do without.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMojay View Post
      It has been like that here in Ireland from day one and people are sick of it and running to providers without any caps on their products, I for one would never use a provider that caps your Bandwidth, imagine if I wanted to start a business using the internet or had other people living in the house with computers all using the same connection or having friends over for some online gaming, or downloading updates for this and that, using skype, voip and video chatting to friends or even just downloading/streaming 1 HD movie you rented.

The companies see an opportunity for making more money, they are not doing it for our own good, they are not doing it to punish heavy users and anyway heavy users should not be punished, they have all the traffic information for all their users and they have realized that there is money to be made.
      I don't have a choice unless I move to another area in Chicago. I only have AT&T as a internet service provider.

As for streaming HD movies, that's your choice. I can't think of any content provider here in the US that streams movies in HD simply because of the high bandwidth costs associated with it (~8-15 GB per movie) and the the not-so-fast connection speeds of the majority of home users.

AT&T (unlike Comcast) knows it can charge whatever they hell they want because most of their customer base is in larger metropolitan cities and a lot of times their customers either have few other "competitive" providers in the area or don't have any other competitors in the area. If they decide to cap everything at 5 GB a month for my speed, the worst I can do is file a complaint and cancel the service. Not much else I can do (other than some very extreme angry stuff).
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Sorry, but I don't buy this. Bandwidth is a limited resource and as a result, the service providers need some way to try to cut down on heavy users or at least get extra funds to increase infrastructure. I don't know what your limit is in Ireland but a very small minority of users are going to come near 150 GB per month to say nothing about the 250 GB that Comcast allows.

All I know is I don't want my online performance to suffer because of a small number of companies (can you say Netflix?) and users who have been getting off pretty easy so far.

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

I don't have a choice unless I move to another area in Chicago. I only have AT&T as a internet service provider.
          I suppose I am lucky enough to live in an area where I can basically use any provider and I understand that not having that choice is a bad thing, I did not mean to sound "bigheaded" when I said
          I for one would never use a provider that caps your Bandwidth
          I never accounted for the fact that some people do not have a choice.

Sorry, but I don't buy this. Bandwidth is a limited resource and as a result, the service providers need some way to try to cut down on heavy users or at least get extra funds to increase infrastructure
          That is fine and I see what you are saying but I really do not think heavy users should be punished especially if they are using the internet for legal reasons, the limits you mention are very high indeed and I would not have a problem with those limits but here in Ireland the limits can be 5-100 G/B per month, and they are mostly at the lower end of that scale.
          I suppose this is just me ranting at some of the crappy providers we have in this country....:row__593:

Comment

That is fine and I see what you are saying but I really do not think heavy users should be punished especially if they are using the internet for legal reasons
            I guess it would depend on your definition of "legal". (I'm speaking of the popularity of getting everything for "free" here in the U.S.)

I know at my house, we've crossed over 150 GB a few months and that was due to my sister's obsession with all videos having to do with anime, manga, and Japan as well as my brother's obsession to have every new game, movie, and song by downloading all of the content through "file sharing" networks.

I rarely if ever watch anything in HD (streamed) and will usually just watch lower quality videos of my favorite TV shows from places like Hulu for about 30-40 hours a month. I maybe eat 25 GB a month at most.

I don't want to be punished either with a $1 per GB overcharge or a monthly cap. I can't keep either from downloading (illegally as well as legally), my parents frankly don't care, and when my brother's back from college for Winter and Summer break, we'll be back to eating gigabytes a day.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

That is fine and I see what you are saying but I really do not think heavy users should be punished especially if they are using the internet for legal reasons, the limits you mention are very high indeed and I would not have a problem with those limits but here in Ireland the limits can be 5-100 G/B per month, and they are mostly at the lower end of that scale.
              I suppose this is just me ranting at some of the crappy providers we have in this country....:row__593:
              :)

Well, just like any limited resource, such as gasoline, what I think is fair is you pay for how much you use. IMO we in the US have been spoiled up until now and once demand increases enough to create problems then the service providers are going to have no choice but to do something about it. These upper level caps are undoubtedly just the beginning.

Of course all of this is based on the premise that the free market is doing its job to force service providers to be competitive with each other. ;)

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

Well, just like any limited resource, such as gasoline, what I think is fair is you pay for how much you use
                Well off you go and slot back in your old 56k modem and plug in your phone line and get charged on your phone bill on a per hour basis. :icon_lol:
                just kidding!!

These upper level caps are undoubtedly just the beginning.
                "Pay as you go" internet ?? :icon24:
                Of course all of this is based on the premise that the free market is doing its job to force service providers to be competitive with each other.
                Wouldn't that be nice...:row1_7:
                And yet it seems they are all following in each others footsteps :icon5:

Comment

The competition's been beat out around the Detroit Metro. WOW! is nothing to... well... "wow" about, and we're further out in the suburbs so aside from satellite, Comcast is our only option. The DSL is slow as dirt and will not support ATT U-Verse or the like. They built up so much in this area, and it's nearly 10 years old now, yet in that amount of time they can't get any competition out this way.... guess they think they can just gouge the well-to-do neighborhoods -_-

We just got our bill and it indicated that rates are going up. We're contemplating getting rid of it entirely seeing as out of the 6 of us, mom and sometimes dad, are the only ones who watch TV. The 4 of us kids are too busy working or going to school, or just buy DVD movies to watch, download episodes from the channel's website, or play video games. Nobody's really around on weekends.

It's strange that ATT would work a cap. True it would take longer to hit the cap, but then why have one? The only upside to having this DSL is not worrying about limits and bandwidth sharing, plus the internet bill is lower.

Mindboggling.
                  "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                  Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Originally posted by Spulat View Post
                    The competition's been beat out around the Detroit Metro. WOW! is nothing to... well... "wow" about, and we're further out in the suburbs so aside from satellite, Comcast is our only option. The DSL is slow as dirt and will not support ATT U-Verse or the like. They built up so much in this area, and it's nearly 10 years old now, yet in that amount of time they can't get any competition out this way.... guess they think they can just gouge the well-to-do neighborhoods -_-

We just got our bill and it indicated that rates are going up. We're contemplating getting rid of it entirely seeing as out of the 6 of us, mom and sometimes dad, are the only ones who watch TV. The 4 of us kids are too busy working or going to school, or just buy DVD movies to watch, download episodes from the channel's website, or play video games. Nobody's really around on weekends.

It's strange that ATT would work a cap. True it would take longer to hit the cap, but then why have one? The only upside to having this DSL is not worrying about limits and bandwidth sharing, plus the internet bill is lower.

Mindboggling.
                    Probably because ATT wants those of us who can to switch over and get their UVerse "Advanced TV" package (even though it'll probably never make it to my part of town).

And I agree with you, I don't see a good reason why us DSL users with AT&T need a bandwidth cap. It's not like we get blazing fast speeds anyways (the max my line can get is 4.2 mbps).
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Frakin' heck. There's another service provider to check off my list of viable candidates once I get out of this podunk town. (We only have two choices: Comcast or Satellite. I chose Comcast, but I bump up against that limit every month. *sigh*)
                      "What if he has a pointed stick?"

Comment

Have you noticed that these companies have no competition? Ever wondered why? It's because back when the Internet first got popular, they were all bought up, creating one big fish that can do what it wants. And no one can move in on that business because the price is lower than anyone else can make a profit at. So you're actually getting a deal and don't realize it.

I'd much prefer "pay as you go", paying for each packet transferred, because that should make these companies encourage more use, not less. If you paid for what you used, the ISP would want you to use as much as possible. They'd even give discounts if you used extreme amounts, to encourage you to use more and make them yet more money.

There's a transaction cost to doing that, so it would be logical to establish baseline pricing and then charge a premium over that baseline usage for more bandwidth use.

"Unlimited" usage is a flat out lie. It's really some hidden cap and they don't tell the customers about it until they go over, to keep from discouraging people from signing up. I'd rather the limit be explicit and the costs for going over be clearly stated. Then it will be just like any other commodity item we buy, like electricity or tap water.
                        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

i got att 2 3 mb like urs but ill just cancel it if they do get fios or somethin... or time warner

Comment

I'd much prefer "pay as you go", paying for each packet transferred, because that should make these companies encourage more use
                            Do you not think that in todays economic climate that people would limit their use if they know they are being charged per hour or whatever, I do not see how it would encourage more use.

Comment

The problem is ISP's have offered more than they are willing to provide. An unlimited 5-8mb connection can suck a lot of traffic, and the costs associated to keep a high speed connection constantly going is very large. There are also a lot of "suckers" paying 40$ to download a few megs of email once and a while. One would think it would balance out, but the "people way up" come up with such schemes to increase profit, and their wages so we can pay their exorbitant paycheques.

My ISP (Rogers [Canada]) played with throttling of P2P and encrypted traffic for a few months, and then pulled the plug on it from the looks of it. Maybe too many people complained and/or left to go with Bell Sympatico (The other major supplier). Now they have impossed a 100gb/mo limit as soo many companies appear to be adopting now a days.

Best of luck, I know this cap has made me think twice of downloading that extra 10gb file that I may or may not enjoy for to long.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X