Dual sound

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual sound

I'm not that well versed with sound and since my google search didn't give me anything I decided to come here.

I'd like to be able to set up something where I can use my logitech USB headset for my mic or if need be my game sound and mic. I'd like to be able to use some analog earphones for music and none-game things, since they are far more comfortable. I have on-board sound on my Asus P5k-e. and have some sort of soundMAX software. my attempts so far have not worked, I've left the UBS heaset plugged in and plugged in my headphones and got no sound from the headphones. second try I disabled the usb headset and removed them and then restarted and still nothing from the headphones.
    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Re: Dual sound

I've thought about this too.

Wonder if having two sound cards (onboard and pci) would allow this?
    Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

Dealing with sound output on PC's is one of the most annoying things to me. I don't know the answer to help you out, but I do know that a lot of people report problems in forums and are able to solve it after turning off onboard sound when they have a PCI sound card running. Lot of people complain about bluescreens due to driver conflicts between the onboard and aftermarket.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

well I don't have a second sound card the usb headset is software driven, but yes sounds on computers are very annoying.

Comment

I did some experimenting where I had my sound go through my Sound Blaster Audigy, and had teamspeak output only set up to go through a one-ear piece headset attached to my onboard sound. It was a bit pointless, but it worked fine and sounded really darn cool :).

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

Did you have to disable anything in the BIOS to get the USB earphones to work? Is your on board sound disabled in the BIOS or maybe the ports for line out, line in etc are muted?

Comment

You might be able to have sound outputted to your USB headset when your gaming and everything else through your sound card.

Try to see if you can select your USB headset in your game's Audio/Sound properties menu. If you can't, then the game probably doesn't recognize the software or your headset really doesn't use a separate driver (maybe a emulator of sorts instead).

As for using both onboard sound and a separate sound card, some motherboards don't allow both to be used. Usually when you plug in a sound card, it auto-disables the onboard sound and grays it out so you can't reenable it until you pull out your sound card.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Multiple sound outputs/inputs is possible. Usually USB headsets contain their own sound card from within. The problem comes down to software. Software usually just uses the default input and output (Such as battlefield). Other programs allow you to set your input and output device (Such as teamspeak).

I use a USB headset for vBuzzer (Think Canadian Skype, eh?), and my X-Fi + Logitech speakers + USB microphone for gaming and everything else. vBuzzer allowed me to select a bunch of input, and output options which was great. Both my speakers + headset ring when I get a call, but only the USB mic + headset work for phone dialog.

So in short, yes it is supported; Do you research first, to see if your desired applications are going to allow you to do your desired setup.

Comment

my bios has the on-board audio active and all I had to to for my usb headset was plug it in and there we go. I did have to set TS to set my in/out device but all other programs default to the USB headset even if its deactivated in the windows sound panel.

these are my default settings:

oddly enough I don't have a microphone plugged in, but vista thinks something is there.

Edit: I think I changed the default to the plugged mic its usually on the usb mic

Comment

For playback options default, try setting it to "Speakers" instead of "Headset Earphone".
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I cant select to enable it even when I have the headphones plugged into the front panel or back

Comment

I've successfully had 3 sound cards (onboard, Game Theater XP, Audigy) running on WinXP. For Vista, I've never tried multiple cards. I have done BT headsets along with my sound card for speakers -> gaming and BT headset -> TS.

Your first step is getting onboard sound working by itself. Then you can add in the USB headset. What program do you use for listening to music? Your best chance is if it has a setting to select the output device. Then you can select your onboard sound instead of it using the Windows default device. That's pretty much all you can do. If the program doesn't have options for the output device, it's going to use the Windows default playback device.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I've done Bluetooth earpiece (Jawbone) for TS and mobo sound (DFI LANPARTY) for the game, under XP64. Works fine.

The OS writers (Linux and MS) are recognizing that people are adding multiple I/O cards of the same kind (audio, video, etc.) and are starting to support using them all at once.
                          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                            I've done Bluetooth earpiece (Jawbone) for TS and mobo sound (DFI LANPARTY) for the game, under XP64. Works fine.
                            Off topic rant...

I went and bought that (Jawbone) last year for use with my RAZR. Got it and it refused to work with my RAZR, didn't work with my sister's Nokia, or my dad's Samsung. (The latter two has Bluetooth 2.0.) I could hear the other end, but the other end couldn't hear me. Jawbone tech support wasn't helpful and I eventually chauked it up as a defective so-so product (with too much hype) and returned it for a full refund.

Anywys, back on topic. ;)

Did you get it working Reaper?
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

So far I haven't had a lot of time recently but it seems that my on board sound doesn't work. stupid research papers taking all my time

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X