PLEASE help my computer is........

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PLEASE help my computer is........

Hello. I'm very stressed out because one of my computers is acting up. I was in game and the game crashed so I did a hard boot to it. Took forever to turn on but once it booted up I got as far as my desktop but everything FROZE. I was unable to do anything so I tried CTRL+ALT+DEL that did not work. I hit the button down on my computer and restarted it. I once again got to the desktop but this time I was able to use the mouse and hover over the icons but they will not select. I can't click and choose anything. I can click on the start menu but unable to click and choose anything like Run for example. Please help as I don't have a clue and hope it's something I can fix on my own. I greatly appreciate anyone and everyones help.

Latina
    |TG-8th| LATINA

[conduct][medic]

:icon14: :icon1: :icon_bigg

Re: PLEASE help my computer is........

That's going to be a hard one to diagnose... it could be hard disk corruption of the operating system, it could be bad memory, are you able to get the System Log from the computer (Start -> Run -> EventVwr -> System ). See if there are any "Error" reports in the System log that might suggest a hard disk or memory problem.
    |TG-88th| DaddyOfThree

Comment

She and i discussed this, and the Run icon does not work.

Most of the articles i pull up are based on Malware and some sort of virus.
      |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Smells like foul play..... try this for starters

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Comment

If she can't get into desktop without a hard freeze, her copy of Windows is corrupted (or at least the partition is).

She'll can try doing a Windows XP Repair (if that's the OS she's using). If that doesn't work, a complete reformat is what I suggest.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Well I can't begin to tell you guys how much I appreciate you. Thank you kindly to you all and I will keep you guys posted. Thank God I have 2 gaming computers. If not, I would have to be hospitalized lol. Taking my PC to the doctor tomorrow. I'm going to start learning how to take care of it myself. Wish there was some type of class here so I could learn.

Thanks again,

Latina
            |TG-8th| LATINA

[conduct][medic]

:icon14: :icon1: :icon_bigg

Comment

There's no real class. Most of the computer knowledge I have is from building two of my own desktops and diagnosing problems as the pop up. I guess the closest thing you could get would be a Computer Engineering Degree, but that's too much work and too much money XP

sigpic

Donate Blood. Ask for a gun and a bucket.

Comment

Originally posted by TG Latina View Post
                Well I can't begin to tell you guys how much I appreciate you. Thank you kindly to you all and I will keep you guys posted. Thank God I have 2 gaming computers. If not, I would have to be hospitalized lol. Taking my PC to the doctor tomorrow. I'm going to start learning how to take care of it myself. Wish there was some type of class here so I could learn.

Thanks again,

Latina
                If you have 2 PCs then consider fixing it yourself. That's the best way to learn. All the information you need is available online.

Comment

Did you install any new software? Update drivers?

I suggest trying to boot in safe mode (press F8 at the beginning of Windows start-up and you will get a selection of start-up options, one of them is safe mode) and rolling back any recent changes by either uninstall or system restore.

Booting in safe mode would also allow you to take a look at the system and application logs to try to figure what causes the freeze.

You can ping me on Xfire if you have any further questions.
                  |TG-Irr| Demarcus

Comment

Are you running AVG anti-virus? It might be the culprit: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11...alse_positive/.
                    |TG-Irr| Demarcus

Comment

There is also safe mode.

What version of windows are you running? If you want to learn, the internet is the best place. I can forward you some links.

- -

Comment

Originally posted by ThaDoctah View Post
                        I guess the closest thing you could get would be a Computer Engineering Degree, but that's too much work and too much money XP
                        A CE degree has nothing to do with PC tech work, just fyi. Engineering is mostly a design degree.

There are several certification courses and even a few 2-year degrees for it, but most people get their jobs on strength of personal experience.

In terms of the OP's Problem, I'd try and get it up in safe mode and run virus/spyware programs first, to see if that solved anything. It may also be possible to get an event viewer open in your BIOS that would tell you of any hardware related shutdowns (temp warnings and the like)

Next step would be to run tests on the Memory and the HDD via UBD/Hirens, then possibly a repair install.
                        a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                        Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                        Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                        Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                        Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

If you had done a virus scan/spyware/adware scan and nothing comes up then my suggestion would be one of 2 things: one you OS is hosed and needs repaired or a fresh install or the second could be the HDD is failing. You can download software to test your HDD to see if the platters are bad but sometimes this doesn't have to be the problem, it could be the bearing or whatever it is really called that allows for the HDD to spin up. My HDD platters all checked out good but still had same problems as you are describing and come to find out the baring was bad not allowing my HDD to spin up.

Anyway, I like using this program from Western Digital to test my HDD's. Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD) http://support.wdc.com/product/downl...sid=30&lang=en You can at least run it and check your HDD to find out if it is the problem. If not then on to other ideas.

Also, do a few FREE online virus scans, don't just rely on one scan. you do a search and you will see a lot of the well known AV companies out there have FREE online scanners, some will remove the virus's and some won't. I have NOD32 AV program but on occasion will go to these other sites just to double check. Most of these online scans require a small download(mainly virus definitions) but you really are not installing anything to conflict with your installed AV program.
                          Also, don't forget to clean the computer up with Ccleaner. I still think this is the best free program for cleaning up you computer.

Comment

Just waiting for Latina's prescribed diagnosis from her "doctor" friend. :)

I want to know what that guy has to say is wrong with her PC.
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

My 2c would be that it is some kind of hardware problem. Clean out the dust from the computer with a vacuum. Check if everything is plugged in correctly. Shake out the keyboard. Unplug things that you don't use.
                              Then boot into the BIOS and see if there is a monitoring option where you can see the temperatures of chips.

If you can boot, check the event log "My Computer/Manage/Events (or so)". Look in the system and application areas for problems.

Did your harddisk make funny clicking noises lately?

You can download and burn test-CDs that you can boot your machine with (e.g. Knoppix). They allow you to check your harddisk or execute burn-in tests.

Good luck!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X