Chasis coupled cooling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chasis coupled cooling

Has anyone tried coupling a heat sink directly to the chasis to turn the entire case into a big heat sink? It just seems like too simple an idea, but I haven't heard it anywhere. Anyone care to give it a shot and provide temps? Run a thermal connection between a heat source and the case, and voila, a radiator.
    |TG|Switch

Better known as:
    That noob who crashed the chopper.
    That noob who ran over the mine.
    That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
    That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Re: Chasis coupled cooling

What's the heat capacity of a case? I can't imagine it to be much...

Comment

I imagine that the case would be decent if the heat pipes could effectively move the heat away over a greater distance but that would require a very cool source for the heat to go to i.e. your case would have to be covered in fans and designed as a radiator and it just seems like too much work for seeming little improvement if any at all.

davie seems right copper/aluminum heatsink with a 120mm fan over giant piece of steel covered in paint
      Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

The heat exchange might not be efficient enough to make it a viable solution. It sounds a lot simple to hook up a liquid cooling system to a radiator instead of to the case. The heat exchange would be more efficient. Connecting the case to the heat source is just attaching a giant heat sink to it with a poor conduit to move the energy from the source to where it will be dissipated.

The old CPU heat sink designs were a solid contact with the CPU core that extended to a larger surface area. Eventually, it wasn't an efficient enough cooler for hotter CPUs. We started seeing heat pipes as the main conduit for transferring the energy to the fins of the heat sink.

Newer and better heat sinks will have more efficient ways of transferring the energy to where it will be dissipated. Creating a larger surface area isn't the only factor of a good heat sink.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I've seen cases like that, they use them in recording studios where you can't have any sound from fans.

edit: here it is: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16...nless_PSU.html

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

Thats a hot case.
            |TG|Switch

Better known as:
            That noob who crashed the chopper.
            That noob who ran over the mine.
            That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
            That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

I've actually touched the sides on one of those that housed a very hot Prescott. It felt slightly warm to the touch.

How well do they actually work for CPU cooling.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I never really got to take a close look at the ones I've seen, but I imagine that they work decently (for $700 they'd better!). I'm guessing though that after a while the thing has to get pretty hot with the lack of circulating air.

What you are talking about though is a combination of fans as well as the case/heatsink, in which case it should work very well.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

It doesn't seem to be designed for CPUs that run at 70W or higher. It says the P4 and Pentium D CPUs aren't recommended. For this kind of money, you're only getting completely passive cooling. I would rather go with liquid cooling for a trade-off of a bit more noise for far more effective cooling.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X