No announcement yet.

Surgical Strike Eliminates 75% of Spam Email Worldwide With Single ISP Shutdown

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgical Strike Eliminates 75% of Spam Email Worldwide With Single ISP Shutdown

News of this has me about ready to break out in song, like..........

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jn8K8EA7-Q[/media]

Link to the article:

Surgical Strike Eliminates 75% of Spam Email Worldwide With Single ISP Shutdown

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Surgical Strike Eliminates 75% of Spam Email Worldwide With Single ISP Shutdown

Ha..!! Maybe it will take more than a week for the spammers to get back up and going..

Comment

Re: Surgical Strike Eliminates 75% of Spam Email Worldwide With Single ISP Shutdown

I thought about posting this this morning myself. it is amazing that these practices are allowed to continue for so long.
      Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
      The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Shoot, I think somebody else took over cause the past 2 days I have been bombarded with more spam email than ever.

Comment

Silicon Valley is very much the Venture Capital area....

In ways that aren't always all that healthy.
          "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
          Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

lol, i looked in my spam folder for my gmail account, i dont notice it, because gmail filter is about 99% block rate.... but on november 9-11 there were about 25 messages per day, today there was 5
            powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

id like to see an updated SMTP protocol (yay redundancy) that requires a source IP address that you can ban the whole block of IP addresses from sending you main
              powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Tonk View Post
                id like to see an updated SMTP protocol (yay redundancy) that requires a source IP address that you can ban the whole block of IP addresses from sending you main
                That's basically what's going to happen when IPv6 gets a better foothold.
                "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams

Comment

The spammers are resourceful. They will learn and distribute the workload to many isp's. For them, it's really finding people who are desperate for money and willing to engage with a business agreement. With the current recession, this will cause the people willing to do this to rise, and in turn providing a more distributed base. The reason they found it is because of many months of tracking this traffic through the web to a specific ISP. This would be much harder with a distributed model.

Don't get me wrong, this is a good thing. What should have been done was to use this information to track down the individuals who were running the operation. This might have been done, but others will fill the void.

Once we stop clicking on these emails and giving money to these people, this industry will stop. For me, Spam is a controllable problem. If people stopped clicking and calling and no money was made, it would stop. We somehow believe that people will give us something genuine dramatically almost unbelievably cheaper. The way to stop spam is stop clicking on it. It's like the advertisements you don't want to see. Stop clicking on the emails, and don't automatically load the images, and they won't know you're actually looking at the emails, thereby assuming the email account is inactive. For all intents and purposes, the email account will look dead, and eventually with no activity will sit on a 'dead address' pile.

DDoS (and variants of botnets) are much worse, using the ICQ and IM networks to send their command and control orders to zombie PC's. However, most attacks to people's computers are protected doing 2 things.
                  1. Don't click on SPAM or Ads from people/business you don't want to look at.
                  2. Mozilla/NoScript

The spam problem will be less for a short time until they find a new source/distribution base and model.

42nd Recon

***FORMER*** 9th Mobile Infantry Detachment - Spearheads -- BY ANY MEANS --

Without Darkness, How Could We Measure The Light?

Damnit, I am not a hobbit!

Comment

Originally posted by Spulat View Post
                    That's basically what's going to happen when IPv6 gets a better foothold.
                    We're about 6 years out realistically from seeing IPv6 getting any traction. That or running out of addresses. No one is ready or prepared to make the investment for IPv6 yet...

But you're right, it will begin to fix some of these problems for the technically savvy. The average home user will need help and toolkits and training to understand this.

Plus, I'm afraid of the people who find their ways around it. The harder you work to secure an infrastructure, the harder it will be to find those that find the cracks. I don't fear about the known attacks, I fear of what is going on that I don't know about.

But,we need to continually push forward, or we'll never find the answers.

42nd Recon

***FORMER*** 9th Mobile Infantry Detachment - Spearheads -- BY ANY MEANS --

Without Darkness, How Could We Measure The Light?

Damnit, I am not a hobbit!

Comment

Originally posted by birdie_in_Texas View Post
                      Ha..!! Maybe it will take more than a week for the spammers to get back up and going..
                      If you look at the chart, it rose back up to the 20 percent line pretty quickly.

This is only a stop-gap measure. Not enough to actually begin to stopping the flow of spam, not when some spammers make close to $800,000 a year.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Tonk View Post
                        We've had that for some time now. The source address is included in the lower-level TCP/IP packet that the SMTP packets are placed in to ride from machine to machine.

Banning by source IP is called a blacklist, and many sites run them. But they're heavy-handed, and if you get on one, for whatever reason, it can be very hard getting back off.

Check out SpamAssassin. It measures many things about an email, assigning them a score, and then adds up the scores to determine if the message is spam.

Then look at MIMEDefang. This is a "milter" (mail filter) that plugs into the Sendmail server. It can invoke various filters such as multiple anti virus programs and SpamAssassin to decide whether to reject the connection, quarantine the email, or tell Sendmail to pass it through to the recipient.

If you run Linux, it's not incredibly hard to install these. I have them running on my servers.
                        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by Photometric View Post
                          We're about 6 years out realistically from seeing IPv6 getting any traction. That or running out of addresses. No one is ready or prepared to make the investment for IPv6 yet...

But you're right, it will begin to fix some of these problems for the technically savvy. The average home user will need help and toolkits and training to understand this.

Plus, I'm afraid of the people who find their ways around it. The harder you work to secure an infrastructure, the harder it will be to find those that find the cracks. I don't fear about the known attacks, I fear of what is going on that I don't know about.

But,we need to continually push forward, or we'll never find the answers.
                          I know the motivation isn't there, which is unfortunate. *shrug*

Comment

IPv6 is really blocked only by ISPs adopting it on their routers. You can set up your PC now to use IPv6 and use a "tunnel broker" to connect to the IPv6 backbone. XP and Vista support it. So has Linux, for a long time. If you have a Linux box as your home router (who doesn't? :p), you can even tunnel your IPv4 traffic from older hardware over IPv6 with it.

One danger you might not have considered is that IPv6 will give everyone a static public address, instead of being NAT'd behind a home router. That means you have the potential for a lot more zombies. NAT has been a good "poor man's firewall", hiding internal PCs from the world without a lot of user configuration. If you don't use NAT, you need to understand firewalls a bit more.
                            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X