AMD's Quad-Core "Shanghai" Server Opterons Go 45nm, Desktop Version In '09

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD's Quad-Core "Shanghai" Server Opterons Go 45nm, Desktop Version In '09

For those wondering if AMD will ever be able to make a comeback aganist Intel, here is their first big step in that direction.

Link:
    AMD's Quad-Core "Shanghai" Server Opterons Go 45nm, Desktop Version In '09

AMD K10 5 Shanghai is finally out

AMD introduces 45 nm Shanghai CPU

AMD Shanghai Launch - Database Testing ==from anandtech.com

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: AMD's Quad-Core "Shanghai" Server Opterons Go 45nm, Desktop Version In '09

Yeah, finally they've come up with something more useful!

Thanks for this Bamboo :)

Comment

I had to run with a 1.8GHz Single-Core Opteron for my main desktop about 2 years ago, it wasn't a bad processor and it surprised me with how well it performed.

It's nice to see the Opteron updates, and I'm a little mystified I suppose about the lack of a Phenom update. Makes me wonder if they'll end up scrapping the Phenom and just updating the Opterons for desktop usage. Nothing like modifying a server-class chip, after all.

Unfortunately they're still behind.... and they still don't appear to have anything on Nehalem :row__630:
      "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
      Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

The Phenom update is coming in late 2008/early 3009. The new Deneb core Phenom chips are just not quite ready for market. AMD is releasing their server parts first because the K10 architecture has always been better for that market than for enthusiast PC builders and buyers.
        sigpic

Comment

Ah. In which case, Ive been waiting on "Deneb" before I make the jump to Phenom. My 5600+ X2 has been performing more than adequately, and making the jump to Phenom any earlier wouldn't be much of an upgrade, and a waste of money.
          "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
          Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

why are they making a big deal about ddr2 800....

on a completely separate note......

will amd move to triple channel ram like the new i7?

opties have always been great chips for overclocking, they have much more head room than desktop chips, and clock for clock (probably due to more cache compared to desktop counterparts) they normally outperform too, cost is the only downside, a few hund more usually