Slow, jittery game play problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow, jittery game play problem

Hi guys, I've been playing BF2 for months with virtually no problems but the other night half way through a round everything started to slow down and get jittery. I thought it was the server I was on but now everytime I update servers my ping is incredibly high 500-1800 when it used to be 90-200 with no problems in game. Did a rubber band inside my computer break??? Any help with this would be greatly appreaciated.

Re: Slow, jittery game play problem

Is someone else on your network downloading while you're playing?

Or perhaps Windows is downloading updates (or XFire is downloading patches) while you're playing?

Usually a sudden high increase in latency times is pretty easily to figure out. Usually, it's either your own PC downloading or someone else on the network downloading (in some rare cases, it's the ISP/routing path at fault).
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I had my system running through a wireless Nrouter so I took it out of the loop and am now hard wired direct to my PC to make sure I am the only one on my connection, with no change in the problem.
      So then I turned off automatic updates still with no change.
      I've even tried shutting down some background tasks that I'm sure aren't needed but I'm a little hesitant to shut to much off, will all the important stuff start up again when I reboot?

Comment

If you are ending processes in task manager then yes, upon re-boot they will start up again.

I would suspect you have something else communicating with your internet, like a program or adware.

Second to that may be your connection. I had cable internet that was blazing fast at first while my subdivision was being built. But as many more homes came on line my speed dropped to just above dial up, while paying for their ubber ultra high speed:icon21:

Needless to say I now have DSL setup that doesn't suffer those issues :icon_lol:

Use this site to do some back to back testing, it will give you a more consistant measurment tool then games.

http://www.speedtest.net/

Comment

Originally posted by Acrustyoldguy View Post
          I had my system running through a wireless Nrouter so I took it out of the loop and am now hard wired direct to my PC to make sure I am the only one on my connection, with no change in the problem.
          So then I turned off automatic updates still with no change.
          I've even tried shutting down some background tasks that I'm sure aren't needed but I'm a little hesitant to shut to much off, will all the important stuff start up again when I reboot?
          Here's what I want you to do:

1) Get the IP address of the game you play on.

2) Open up command prompt (Start > Run > Type cmd and hit Enter key).

3) Type: tracert ip_address (replace ip_address with the IP address of the game server from #1 without the port (leave out everything from the ":" and beyond).

4) Take a screenshot of the results and post it here.

This way we can see where you might be losing packets or which hops you experience high latency. Then you can take the information and call up you ISP to see if they can resolve the problem you're having.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Hi Guys, I've been off-line for a bit because my computer cratered before I could try any of your suggestions. I now have a new one and it is working great. I really appreaciate the time you guys take to help everyone out. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Acrustyoldguy View Post
              Hi Guys, I've been off-line for a bit because my computer cratered before I could try any of your suggestions. I now have a new one and it is working great. I really appreaciate the time you guys take to help everyone out. Thanks again.
              Out of curiosity, how did your old computer get "cratered"?
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X