ASRock's Instant Boot: 0 to Vista in 4 seconds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock's Instant Boot: 0 to Vista in 4 seconds

The coolness of the tech aside, if you need a good laugh this morning go and watch the video at the link:
    ASRock's Instant Boot: 0 to Vista in 4 seconds

I was lol the whole time. Just watch it.

But my understanding was that AsRock was a part of ASUS, so now I'm confused why ASUS doesn't already have this.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: ASRock's Instant Boot: 0 to Vista in 4 seconds

Why Not?

that was great, it almost feels fake though.
    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Wow. Not because it can boot so fast but that the video was 4 minutes long to show a computer booting up in 4 seconds.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

The guy on the left just made my day...

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
        The BigC

Comment

No way.

Comment

http://tech.slashdot.org/tech/08/11/12/2249253.shtml
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

So while the feature is enabled (fast mode as well) and my PC loses power, does it also clear my CMOS (like how if I pull the plug on machine while it is in standby)?
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                So while the feature is enabled (fast mode as well) and my PC loses power, does it also clear my CMOS (like how if I pull the plug on machine while it is in standby)?
                What mobo would do that? CMOS shouldn't be cleared except by explicit BIOS menu request, or by pulling the backup battery.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Hmm, well I've had BIOS revert back to default settings when I've had to pull the plug on my computer when it refused to come out of sleep mode. My guess was that the BIOS settings stored in CMOS was cleared.

And what you said makes sense, but what has happened to me in the past contradicts and has left me wondering.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Was it actually cleared? Did you check the settings and see that all of them had gone to defaults? It's possible that the BIOS has some kind of "safe mode" and defaults some settings when coming out of a hard power cycle without a clean shutdown.

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                      Was it actually cleared? Did you check the settings and see that all of them had gone to defaults? It's possible that the BIOS has some kind of "safe mode" and defaults some settings when coming out of a hard power cycle without a clean shutdown.
                      That (in bold) could be it. All of my changes to BIOS were reset to default (those changes were the RAM timings and voltage). I think the current time also got reset, because I remember having to restart a few times in order to get Windows to update the clock in taskbar.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

na should not as once the machine boots into windows, the BIOS basicaly becomes Semi-Dormant as the CPU takes the relay doing most of the Bios job

so far i know of only 3 way to clear CMOS

1) press the little button clearly labbeled CMOS

2) remove the battery

3) inside bios menu, loads default settings

and as far as your clock... if your talking the time clock it really easy to adjusts it... normally it calibrates itself on the Bios Clock but if you change windows clock i think it adjust the bios one
                        |TG-18th|Markolh (Just call me Mark)
                        BF Admin & Crazy French-canadian
                        Former Irr, 11th and 31st

"He who wants peace, prepares WAR"

Comment

Originally posted by markolh View Post
                          1) press the little button clearly labbeled CMOS
                          Unless there was a major advance in clearing the CMOS that I missed...

What little button?

I usually have to open up the case and use a jumper to short the CMOS pins (2 and 3 on some boards) to clear the BIOS settings.

Actually now that I think about it...I won't have anymore jumpers handy in another few years. Which means I won't be able to clear the CMOS on my ASUS P5Q motherboard without yanking out the battery (which involves dissembling half of my PC innards to get it out).

Now I gotta remember to save some of those jumpers from my old useless IDE ROM drivers around the house...
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Unless there was a major advance in clearing the CMOS that I missed...

What little button?

I usually have to open up the case and use a jumper to short the CMOS pins (2 and 3 on some boards) to clear the BIOS settings.

Actually now that I think about it...I won't have anymore jumpers handy in another few years. Which means I won't be able to clear the CMOS on my ASUS P5Q motherboard without yanking out the battery (which involves dissembling half of my PC innards to get it out).

Now I gotta remember to save some of those jumpers from my old useless IDE ROM drivers around the house...
                            depends on the MOBO your using... not all have CMOS.. maybe yours has one but it damn hidden or they use jumpers to do the trick... it probable that when your comp failed, your jumper shorted causing a reset... who knows... freak accidents happens...
                            |TG-18th|Markolh (Just call me Mark)
                            BF Admin & Crazy French-canadian
                            Former Irr, 11th and 31st

"He who wants peace, prepares WAR"

Comment

Originally posted by markolh View Post
                              depends on the MOBO your using... not all have CMOS.. maybe yours has one but it damn hidden or they use jumpers to do the trick... it probable that when your comp failed, your jumper shorted causing a reset... who knows... freak accidents happens...
                              I would very much like to know which boards out there don't use CMOS. I've never heard of that before.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X