mini ITX possible build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mini ITX possible build

i was thinking of building a mini computer, partly out of bordom, and partly out of interest.

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/M...tle=mini%20ITX
    is the newegg wishlist link (i think it works....not sure tho)

one problem i have come across is the CPU cooler cannot be more than 50mm tall, the one in the cart might fit, not sure, but disregard it because it says its 60mm i think... is there a QUIET 1U cpu cooler? i dont see anything but a 1U cpu cooler fitting into this micro system, but every 1u server (or cooler for the matter) i have ever seen ignores sound as a factor and they whine at 7 or 8k rpm and have 60db...
    i will have 2 decently quiet 80mm fans blowin from the top/side directly on the cpu HSF, so i wonder if a passive cooler might work...

also, because im going mini itx, there isnt much room (at all) for a dedicated gfx card.... the intel MHD4500 is what i will have, with hdmi output, every review says it can play HD movies without any problems (aside from 90C northbridge temps..... im gonna put a small fan on that maybe).... does anyone have a notebook with this vga chipset? (its the mobile version.. thus the M in MHD4500) "will it play crysis" (just kidding) but the ability to play source games, and maybe some games of BF2/2142 equivalent would be a plus

if i end up building this, it will probably be my lab rat.... if i want to test something, i can do it on this without fear of bustin my gaming rig

anyone have any thoughts or tips on this?

mini ITX mobo
    CPU this isnt concrete. i might go one step down in wattage depending on if i find a nice cooler
    2 sticks 2gb ddr2 800 ram OCZ
    case
    heatsink in question
    powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Re: mini ITX possible build

Originally posted by Tonk View Post
    i was thinking of building a mini computer, partly out of bordom, and partly out of interest.

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/M...tle=mini%20ITX
    is the newegg wishlist link (i think it works....not sure tho)

one problem i have come across is the CPU cooler cannot be more than 50mm tall, the one in the cart might fit, not sure, but disregard it because it says its 60mm i think... is there a QUIET 1U cpu cooler? i dont see anything but a 1U cpu cooler fitting into this micro system, but every 1u server (or cooler for the matter) i have ever seen ignores sound as a factor and they whine at 7 or 8k rpm and have 60db...
    i will have 2 decently quiet 80mm fans blowin from the top/side directly on the cpu HSF, so i wonder if a passive cooler might work...

also, because im going mini itx, there isnt much room (at all) for a dedicated gfx card.... the intel MHD4500 is what i will have, with hdmi output, every review says it can play HD movies without any problems (aside from 90C northbridge temps..... im gonna put a small fan on that maybe).... does anyone have a notebook with this vga chipset? (its the mobile version.. thus the M in MHD4500) "will it play crysis" (just kidding) but the ability to play source games, and maybe some games of BF2/2142 equivalent would be a plus

if i end up building this, it will probably be my lab rat.... if i want to test something, i can do it on this without fear of bustin my gaming rig

anyone have any thoughts or tips on this?

mini ITX mobo
    CPU this isnt concrete. i might go one step down in wattage depending on if i find a nice cooler
    2 sticks 2gb ddr2 800 ram OCZ
    case
    heatsink in question
    If you're using a newer 45nm Intel CPU, the stock cooler will fit inside most mini-ITX cases. Something like the Pentium E5200.

All of the stock Intel heatsinks nowadays will most likely fit into that case with some breathing room left over the cooler.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Why Mini-ITX? Why not go really small, and go Pico-ITX? Or wait until the mobos come out in Mobile-ITX!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pico-ITX
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile-ITX
      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

thats a lil too small, i just want a quiet, small, yet usable mini computer for quite possibly a HTPC or any other uses i can think of... the hardware is fairly cheap for a mini itx... 300 for mobo/gfx/ram/cpu (2.5 dual core no less)
        powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

I mention the pico because awhile back, we had a thread about a nifty little box that used one, currently selling for $300:

http://www.logicsupply.com/products/artigo

I need something that will fit in a 3x3 cavity for robotics work, so the mobile form factor sounds very sexy.

Edit: Ah, here it is:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/hardwar...r-project.html
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Those types of things are perfect for portable in-car computers... navs and stereo systems and whatnot.
            "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
            Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Damonte is currently building a miniITX system based on the Intel Atom 330 platform.

He hopes to install OSX 10.5 on it. Cost should be under $300.

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

Originally posted by Damonte View Post
                Damonte is currently building a miniITX system based on the Intel Atom 330 platform.

Damonte picked a good platform IMO.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

I would love to know how that turns out, Damonte. Keep us updated.

Though I doubt I could fit the Dual Core Atom in my Acer... if I can, I'll most definitely upgrade.
                  "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                  Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Wait a second, the dual-core Atom 330 is out already?

Where did you get it?
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Damonte's parts list:
                      $79.99 CPU and Motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813121359
                      $55.99 Case - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811154084
                      $22.00 2GB Memory - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820134636
                      $54.00 250GB hard drive - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148262
                      $24.99 DVD burnder - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827106264

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

Oooh. That's pretty cheap. Good luck getting OSX on there.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

reffering to one's self in third person is kinda weird/creepy, right tonk?

yes, tonk. it is.

unless someone that isnt damonte is posting via damonte's account =P

looking into it further, intel is putting out a new atom series q2 09 or so, system on a chip... integrated graphics, memory controller, processor all on the same chip, might hold out for that...not sure yet