Easy home automation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easy home automation

I just saw a link to this in a Christmas gift guide, and it looks pretty sweet if it is something you have considered. I really like that you could control it from like an Iphone.

Homemanageables Starter Kit

Homemanageables runs on wireless technology. Easily installed on your home computer (no messing around with modems or routers), the system sends commands and receives information from the wireless devices – lighting modules, appliance modules, door/window sensors, or motion detectors – placed throughout your home. The Homemanageables technology is secure and reliable. And the more devices you add to your network, the stronger it becomes.

You can view the status of devices and command them through our user friendly interface. Designed to be easier than using an ATM, the Homemanageables interface lets you program routines or series of events (e.g., turn off all lights), to simplify your family’s life. Leveraging our remote access service, you can manage your home and monitor your family and pets from anywhere, anytime. You can use a computer or PDA via the Internet, iPhone, cell phone or call our toll-free voice command system.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Easy home automation

I'd love to set that up at home and then absolutely mess with my wife's head while I'm at work.

Especially around Halloween.

Thanks Bamboo, this is something I've always wanted to do.
    Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

It gives interesting possibilities to messing with the critters from work too.
      200 bucks seems pretty cheap if it does all it advertises.

Comment

$9.95 for monthly access isn't too bad, I guess.
        Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

I think the $10 is if you want to go through their service, which was a sep. thing if I read it correctly. Like you are at a friends house with no computer or Iphone, you can call their service and have them turn on a light for you are something.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

That sounds pretty cool if you are doing it... It seems kinda stalker to me
            |TG-31st| WarPig1292

Comment

Looks nice but the only PC I leave on 24x7 is my file server, which I share with my two neighbors (family). And it runs Linux. So I'd need a box that was OS-agnostic. It's not like that's hard to do. Instead of USB, make it connect by Ethernet, and use a simple text-based protocol, just like those used for web (HTTP) and mail (SMTP, IMAP, POP3). Ethernet has the additional benefit over USB of electrical isolation, helping to protect the PC from lightning and other nasty environmental electrical hazards.
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Hmm, find any kits like that for simple property surveillence?
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                  Looks nice but the only PC I leave on 24x7 is my file server, which I share with my two neighbors (family). And it runs Linux. So I'd need a box that was OS-agnostic. It's not like that's hard to do. Instead of USB, make it connect by Ethernet, and use a simple text-based protocol, just like those used for web (HTTP) and mail (SMTP, IMAP, POP3). Ethernet has the additional benefit over USB of electrical isolation, helping to protect the PC from lightning and other nasty environmental electrical hazards.
                  Actually I don't think there is any real electrical isolation in ethernet. There is an impedence matching transformer but it doesn't provide any serious isolation. It does provide some basic isolation but won't protect against anything serious.

I agree with the rest of your stuff though. Running something like a socket server would be pretty easy to implement.
                  Retired 6th DB

Comment

Originally posted by Wimpinator View Post
                    Actually I don't think there is any real electrical isolation in ethernet. There is an impedence matching transformer but it doesn't provide any serious isolation. It does provide some basic isolation but won't protect against anything serious.
                    Alas, I couldn't find a copy of 802.3u (100base-T standard) on line. But I found the one for coax Ethernet (802.3-2005 Section 1), which should have the same requirements:

8.3.2.1 Electrical isolation
                    The MAU must provide isolation between the AUI cable and the coaxial trunk cable. This isolation shall
                    withstand at least one of the following electrical strength tests:
                    a) 1500 V rms at 50 Hz to 60 Hz for 60 s, applied as specified in 5.3.2 of IEC 60950: 1991.
                    b) 2250 Vdc for 60 s, applied as specified in 5.3.2 of IEC 60950: 1991.
                    c) A sequence of ten 2400 V impulses of alternating polarity, applied at intervals of not less than 1 s.
                    The shape of the impulses shall be 1.2/50 μs (1.2 μs virtual front time, 50 μs virtual time of half
                    value), as defined in IEC 60060.
                    There shall be no isolation breakdown, as defined in 5.3.2 of IEC 60950: 1991, during the test. The resistance
                    after the test shall be at least 2 MΩ, measured at 500 Vdc. In addition, the isolation impedance
                    between the DTE and the coaxial cable shield shall be less than 15 Ω between 3 MHz and 30 MHz.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

D'oh you are correct! Thanks for the info.
                      Retired 6th DB

Comment

I understood everything until Scratch said something, then both u and wimpinator lost me. :D

Comment

If it were that Ethernet over the power lines deal, I think that would be just as cool if not moreso... and maybe more reliable, faster, lower latency, and less stuff going through the air.
                          "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                          Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Originally posted by Spulat View Post
                            If it were that Ethernet over the power lines deal, I think that would be just as cool if not moreso... and maybe more reliable, faster, lower latency, and less stuff going through the air.
                            Less stuff going through the air is good if you have anything wireless in the same frequency range that you depend on (like a gaming mouse or cordless phone). No dropped calls, static, or mouse pointer freezing on the computer screen.
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I just ran across this old story from like 15 years ago. I remember reading the original as the last page of some computer magazine or newspaper of the time. I found it by googling for "today the kitchen crashed".

http://www.built4u.com/techstories/p...s/story16.html

November 28, 200?: Moved in to my new digitally-maxed-out Hermosa Beach house at last. Finally, we live in the smartest house in the neighborhood! Everything’s networked. The cable TV is connected to our phone, which is connected to my personal computer, which is connected to the power lines, all the appliances and the security system. Everything runs off a universal remote with the friendliest interface I’ve ever used. Programming is a snap. I’m like, totally wired.

Nov 30: Hot Stuff! Programmed my VCR from the office, turned up the thermostat and switched on the lights with the car phone, remotely tweaked the oven a few degrees for my pizza. Everything nice and cozy when I arrived. Maybe I should get the universal remote surgically attached. Dec 1: Had to call the installers today about bandwidth problems. The TV drops to about 2 frames/second when I’m talking on the phone. They insist it’s a problem with the cable company’s compression algorithms. How do they expect me to order things from the Home Shopping Channel?

Dec 8: Got my first cable invoice today and was unpleasantly surprised. I suspect the cleaning woman is reading Usenet messages from the washing machine interface when I’m not around. She must be downloading one hell of a lot of GIFs from the binary groups, because packet charges are through the roof.

Dec 3: Today, the kitchen CRASHED. As I opened the refrigerator door, the light bulb blew. Immediately, everything else electrical in the room shut down — lights, microwave, coffee maker — everything. Carefully unplugged and replugged all the appliances. Nothing.

Called the cable company (but not from the kitchen phone). They referred me to my utility company. The utility insisted that the problem was in the software. The software company ran some remote telediagnostics via my house processor. Their expert system claimed it had to be the utility’s fault. I don’t care, I just want my kitchen back.

Turned out the problem was “unanticipated failure mode”: the network had never seen a refrigerator bulb failure while the door was open. So the fuzzy logic interpreted the burnout as a power surge and shut down the entire kitchen. But because sensor memory confirmed that there hadn’t actually been a power surge, the kitchen logic sequence was confused and it couldn’t do a standard restart. The utility guy swears this was the first time this has ever happened. Rebooting the kitchen took over an hour.

Dec 7: The police are not happy. Our house keeps calling them for help. We discover that whenever we play the TV or stereo above 25 decibels, it creates patterns of micro-vibrations that get amplified when they hit the window. When these vibrations mix with a gust of wind, the security sensors are actuated, and the police computer concludes that someone is trying to break in. Go figure.

Another glitch: Whenever the basement is in self-diagnostic mode, the universal remote won’t let me change the channels on my TV. That means I actually have to get up off the couch and change the channels by hand. The software and the utility people say this flaw will be fixed in the next upgrade...

Finally, I’m starting to suspect that the microwave is secretly tuning into the cable system to watch Bay Watch. The unit is completely inoperable during that same hour. I guess I can live with that. At least the blender is not tuning in to old I Love Lucy episodes.

Dec 9: I just bought the new Microsoft Home. Took 93 gigabytes of storage, but it will be worth it, I think. The house should be much easier to use and should really do everything. I had to sign a second mortgage over to Microsoft, but I don’t mind: I don’t really own my house now—it’s really the bank’s. Let them deal with Microsoft. Dec 10: I’m beginning to have doubts about the Microsoft product. I keep getting an hour glass symbol showing up when I want to run the dishwasher.

Dec 12: This is a nightmare. There’s a virus in the house. My personal computer caught it while browsing (without my permission) on the public access network. I came home and the living room was a sauna, the bedroom windows were covered with ice, the refrigerator had defrosted, the washing machine had flooded the basement, the garage door was cycling up and down, and the TV was stuck on the Home Shopping Channel. Throughout the house, lights were flickering like stroboscopes until they explode from the strain. Broken glass everywhere. Of course, the security sensors detected nothing. I checked my personal computer and found this message throbbing at me on the screen: “Welcome to HomeWrecker!!! NOW THE FUN BEGINS... (Be it ever so humble, there’s no virus like the HomeWrecker...).”

Dec 18: They think they’ve disinfected the house, but the place is a shambles. Pipes have burst and we’re not completely sure we’ve got the part of the virus that attacks toilets. Nevertheless, the Exorcists (as the anti-virus SWAT team members like to call themselves) are confident the worst is over. “HomeWrecker is pretty bad,” one tells me, “But consider yourself lucky you didn’t get PolterGeist. That one is really evil.”

Dec 19: Apparently, our house isn’t insured for viruses. “Fires and mudslides, yes,” says the claims adjuster. “Viruses, no.” My agreement with the installers explicitly states that all claims and warranties are null and void if any appliance or computer in my house connects in any way, shape or form with a non-certified on-line service. Everybody’s very, very, sorry, but they can’t be expected to anticipate every virus that might be created.

We call our lawyer. He laughs. He’s excited!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X