I can't access large video files.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't access large video files.

A few months ago, I recorded some videos in Battlefield 2142 when a few of us went on a pubbie raid. They vary from 1-4 gigs. I can view the 1 gig ones with no problems but when I click on any of the larger videos, Windows reports that a program has stopped running. (Rundle32) I also downloaded some video files as well and when I open the folder they are in, Windows Explorer stops working. Any advice for my problem?

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Re: I can't access large video files.

Okay first off, if you're using Windows Media Player to play those files, anything over 1 GB will crash the player and result in your error.

Try using VLC Player to play them. Once you've installed the player, right-click on the large video files and change the default program that it opens in to VLC.

If that doesn't work or doesn't play as smoothly, try KM Player.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I can't even right-click the files without Windows Vista creating a fuss.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
        Okay first off, if you're using Windows Media Player to play those files, anything over 1 GB will crash the player and result in your error.
        While I'd agree about using the VLC player, since it has such good codec support, and features, I would argue against the fact that WMP would crash with anything over 1 gig.

A good many movies that I have and watch on my computer are in the 1+gig category. Also most of my full-size FRAPs captures are separated into about 3 minute portions that are each 3.90 GB in size, and have never had a problem playing them back in WMP. Sure it takes it a couple seconds longer (literally) to load then some files that are smaller, but I've never had any other problem.

Although I would wager that Vista is to blame on Mech's particular system, or possible a caching issue.
        Focused

Comment

Originally posted by PhoenixxFire View Post
          While I'd agree about using the VLC player, since it has such good codec support, and features, I would argue against the fact that WMP would crash with anything over 1 gig.

A good many movies that I have and watch on my computer are in the 1+gig category. Also most of my full-size FRAPs captures are separated into about 3 minute portions that are each 3.90 GB in size, and have never had a problem playing them back in WMP. Sure it takes it a couple seconds longer (literally) to load then some files that are smaller, but I've never had any other problem.

Although I would wager that Vista is to blame on Mech's particular system, or possible a caching issue.
          I had assumed he was using XP not Vista.

As for 1 GB+ files, I've had WMP crash on me with some formats, not every format, just some (particularly AVIs with high bitrates) back when I was still on my XP machine running WMP 11.

If you can't right-click, just run VLC, then File > Open > Browse till you find your video file > Select it, open it, and play it.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I'll try that.

Comment

It didn't work, Windows Explorer keeps crashing.

Comment

Might be the image preview of the video file causing your system to hard lock up.

Try this:
                1) Open a command line window
                In XP: Start > Run, type in cmd, hit Enter
                In Vista: Start > In "Start Search" type in cmd, hit Enter
                2) To remove image preview, type: regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll
                3) Hit Enter key
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

To quote the error:
                  "The module "shimgvw.dll" Was loaded but the entry-point DllUnregisterServer was not found.

Make sure that the "shimgvw.dll" is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try again."

Comment

The Microsoft hotfix (see link at the top of the KB article).

The alternative

edit: I just saw you're running Vista. Hang tight.

Turn off preview in Vista

Does this work for you ?

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Blonov View Post
                      The Microsoft hotfix (see link at the top of the KB article).

The alternative

edit: I just saw you're running Vista. Hang tight.

Turn off preview in Vista

Does this work for you ?

DB
                      It worked! Thank you so much!

Comment

Originally posted by Mech__Warrior View Post
                        It worked! Thank you so much!
                        Which solution worked for you?
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

The one I quoted above.

Comment

So turning off preview in Vista worked?

I posted the same thing. Humph.
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X