Stolen Precision T3400's anyone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stolen Precision T3400's anyone?

So I saw a great deal on ebay the other day. A Dell Precision workstation T3400 barebones. Case, Power supply and motherboard. I got it for $120 shipped. It got here yesterday and I opened it up to look at it and then it hit me. No service tags anywhere on the machine. No evidence of there ever being any (no scratches from peeling, adhesive, etc.), and everything was brand new. The fan blades were shiny black and the cpu socket had the nice cover on it. Everything was perfect. I got concerned so I threw some parts in it and booted up. It went through the first boot- it had never been booted before. I went into the BIOS where the service tag can be found... Nothing. Service tag is blank. Bios was not flashed, I know that. The unit was shipped from Austin. Funny dell has a plant there. He said he liquidates these from other bankrupt companies. hmmmm lemme know what you think!

Re: Stolen Precision T3400's anyone?

well.. well you lucky you :P
    |TG-18th|Markolh (Just call me Mark)
    BF Admin & Crazy French-canadian
    Former Irr, 11th and 31st

"He who wants peace, prepares WAR"

Comment

lol not really, got me kind of concerned. I dont want to get in trouble for having something stolen when I bought it legitimately. But, I must say, it works very well! Rock solid!

Comment

Dont worry about it.. Since it has no service tags or anything how can they know that they are missing anything... All i can say is lucky you got a great deal
        |TG-31st| WarPig1292

Comment

Originally posted by warpig1292 View Post
          Dont worry about it.. Since it has no service tags or anything how can they know that they are missing anything... All i can say is lucky you got a great deal
          Each Dell machine usually has a serial number associated with it. Also there should a sticker somewhere (either in the back or inside of the case) where it lists a model number and serial number for the machine.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I would have no idea what to say about your situation. I think I would be nervous as well. A lot of questions pop into my head about the computer as I am sure they are popping into yours as well with the most important one being "Will I get in trouble for having stolen property?" Then the next would be "If so will they confiscate my laptop and then leave me with NOTHING? NO money, no laptop."

Comment

I have a disk that allows you to change or erase the service tag number from a Dell's bios - (yes, it is legit. Dell sends it out to the field techs to install a new mobo in an existing computer) which could also explain the blank slate. Dell mobo's are all blank until they are configured by a tech. getting the stickers off is not difficult with a little mineral spirits.

It is very likely that this guy actually does get overstock parts from dell.
              Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
              The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

That is true dog. I work in the IT dept of the local newspaper and we are an all dell shop. My workstation at the office happens to be a T3400 so I am quite familiar with them. Although I have never heard of a disk that can erase the service tag from the bios, I am aware that replacement mobos have no service tags and that they must be entered. It just seems very strange to me that there are NO numbers ANYWHERE on this machine...

As for them being overstock parts, I suppose that is possible, although I have never heard of Dell selling JUST the mobo, case and power supply assembly. That and it came out of Austin, and the tech support person I called to report this said that they have an assembly plant in Austin.

Comment

all the systems are delivered to dell like that (barebones I mean).... then the parts are installed as ordered. stickers are part of the configuration process. - which would coincide with overstock or otherwise unwanted inventory.
                  Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                  The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Well that makes sense and explains alot. Makes me feel alot better too!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X