GPU coolers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPU coolers

after dropping a Dr. Pepper on my computer my roommate's friend has offered to replace any damage he caused which happened to be the fan on my 8800GT. Running 70 C just idling right now so some thing is way off, but pretty sure the fan is not running properly despite the adjustments I try and make in Evga Precision (i.e. stays at a constant speed).

Kind of happy kind of not, to afraid to play games since the fan will spin up properly any more and its going to take time to ship a cooler, but hey I get a new cooler and get to mess with my hardware, which had a through cleaning after the Dr. Pepper incident last night.

I've been looking at a few options including:

Scythe cooler very low profile

the Zalman

or possibly the AC heat sink with the fans is another $9

he offered to pay for it but I'd still like to get a deal.

Has anyone used these or have any experience with them?

Any other recommendations that I should consider?
    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Re: GPU coolers

I don't have any personal experience with an aftermarket VGA cooler, but have posted links to reviews here before. Try and search for them.

Also, go here: http://www.bluesnews.com/ and on the left side in the search box type in VGA cooler and a bunch of links to reviews come up.

How on earth did Dr.Pepper get inside the case and onto the VGA card?

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

What did it idle at previously? 70'C isn't that abnormal, although it not rev'ing up is a good concern. Have you tried removing and cleaning the stock heatsink & fan? I am amazed Dr.P didn't do anything worse to you. I don't see a little carbonated sugar water doing too much damage that cannot be reversed by a little cleaning & lub.

A better "free" cooling unit is pretty tempting. I would look at reviews from well known publications.

Comment

Originally posted by Reaperassault View Post
        after dropping a Dr. Pepper on my computer...
        Out of curiosity, was this the same Dr. Pepper he got through the promotional offer on Sunday? :row__739:
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

After my EVGA 8800gt kept overheating in COD4 I bought the Akimbo cooler, here, and haven't had any trouble since.

Comment

I have my fan on manual control and usually idle around 49 C I run the fan at a constant 75% and sounds the same the same all the way down unless you are up close, but any higher and the fan is audible. When I would do [email protected] on my GPU temps would get to 70 C but not even gaming would they get that high. I did the best I could to clean the heatsink off but no luck, I just watch the temps climb every time I turn my machine on.

I had the side panel off and he was moving my twelve pack and one fell out and busted. It was quite a mess I don't think I will ever get all the Dr. Pepper out of my room, its still all over my keyboard. I got lucky that my GPU was the worst damage the front of the case was covered and my HDD got some splatter as well but every thing still seems in order. I'm guessing that some splatter just got into the fan in the intake hole because the cover of the card was covered and sticky, it still works as I can see the screen but the fan is a goner.

Comment

as always good advice from bamboo.

found this link to the coolink.

looks pretty solid for $22 +shipping

Comment

just to update this, I finally got my new heatsink on today and I now idle at 35C. heck of an improvement for $35 shipped.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X