YouTube Introduces HD Video!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YouTube Introduces HD Video!

When we used to upload videos to Youtube we received the standard 4:3 aspect ratio with pretty bad compression after upload. Then came the &fmt=18 code that users could add to videos' URL to increase the quality of the video without actually downloading the original .flv file.
    About a week ago I came across this article (I think it was featured on Digg, maybe here, lol).

The new code that only recently started working, &fmt=22, will take any videos that were originally uploaded in 720p, load a new page with a 16:9 video window, and show the video in beautiful quality. (You may have noticed if you were surfing Youtube today that many videos have widescreen letterboxes around them.)

Here is a video of mine that I uploaded several months ago in 720p which can now be seen the way it was meant to be seen.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NthJKHQy12c&fmt=22

The video below is a another wonderful example because it is an animation that was compressed poorly when put on youtube. I suggest pausing at 0:19 and looking at the detail difference on the lightbulb filament!
    Regular link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6ejPG-i03I
    HD link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6ejPG-i03I&fmt=22

By kevlarorc

Vimeo better think quick!

edit: Just been searching around for some other true 720p videos and found a few that look really nice even in fullscreen.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swZ8XBmws5Y&fmt=22
    Last edited by kevlarorc; 11-24-2008, 11:38 PM.

Re: YouTube Introduces HD Video!

YouTube's actually had this for quite a few weeks now.

Of course, this is all possible probably with the FFMPEG encoder/decoder if you wanted to run your own video server. :)

As for the quality, most videos on YouTube aren't that great to begin with because the original source file was either substandard quality well below SD 480p or just about SD. It's nice that YouTube has added the option to keep the quality of the video file as close to the original hi-def as possible. I wonder if Google's servers can handle all the decoding and re-encoding (video conversion) if everyone's uploads were 720p...
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Will this have an effect on peoples monthly bandwidth caps I wonder?....:row__736:

Comment

About damn time, ever since stage6 went down...

POE2 Developer

Comment

You know that there was a workaround to get high quality video on YT before this, right?

Comment

Which I stated in OP....

Comment

Originally posted by kevlarorc View Post
              Which I stated in OP....
              You stated something about a code. If I recall correctly the method I read about and saw examples of wasn't based on a code. I just went back to my bookmarks and confirmed it. It was a hack that fooled with the reported duration of the movie. It's been around for just over a year (at least that's how long I've known about it) and at some point youtube caught on to it or decided to make the present move and put a stop to the hack.

You can read more about it here: Youtube Upload, increase quality/control (HQ hack obsolete)

If you're into video and encoding/decoding/converting you should take a look at that forum and at Doom9

Comment

Originally posted by Lusitano Louco View Post
                You stated something about a code. If I recall correctly the method I read about and saw examples of wasn't based on a code. I just went back to my bookmarks and confirmed it. It was a hack that fooled with the reported duration of the movie. It's been around for just over a year (at least that's how long I've known about it) and at some point youtube caught on to it or decided to make the present move and put a stop to the hack.

You can read more about it here: Youtube Upload, increase quality/control (HQ hack obsolete)

If you're into video and encoding/decoding/converting you should take a look at that forum and at Doom9
                Aah, yes. I forgot about that method. I remember seeing a lot of those videos that would leave 10 minutes of black video afterward to fool the compression settings on youtube.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X