XP reinstall + 2nd hardrive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP reinstall + 2nd hardrive

Well I'm in need of help as I have what feels like a n00bi'sh question.

I have decided to reinstall windows XP in a quest to track down a problem.

In doing so I have backed up all my important info on my 500gb sata drive that was in the system. I had a second 160gb sata as my OS drive, again was in the system already.

So I changed no hardware etc. just to be clear.

Reinstalled windows XP (not with SP2 as the disk is anceint). Then proceded to do all my windows updates. I only had the 160gb drive hooked up during the installation, format etc. It did show both drives as possible places to install XP to when I had them both hooked up however it showed them both as 130gb, not their true size. As such I disconnected the 500gb to insure I made no errors.

It now shows the second drive as two partions - though not the correct ones that were on it and to access the drive it is asking me to format it. It is listed as healthy but no file system in place i.e. NTFS

I checked in the BIOS and the drive shows up fine there, proper size etc.

I tried the command line "disklist" or "diskpart" where you rescan for drives then attempt to import the foreign drive into your system but it wouldn't work.

How can I get the access to the second drive without formating it? Do I need to start from scratch with a slip streamed version of XP SP2 for this to work? Do I need to have sata drivers during XP install as it did recognize the drives just incorrect size.

Thanks for any help or assistance for my n00bish problem.

Re: XP reinstall + 2nd hardrive

You could try an in place Repair, that will reinstall any missing system files, and not delete progs, data ect.

XP Repair install

Please read carefully and make sure you followed the warning links before initiating the Repair Install. You can print a text version for reference. repair.txt

Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
    When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below
    This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
    Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
    Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
    Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, END setup. After the reboot read Warning#2!
    Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.
    sigpic
    "Volatilis Quod Mactabilis"

Comment

I only had the 160gb drive hooked up during the installation, format etc. It did show both drives as possible places to install XP to when I had them both hooked up however it showed them both as 130gb.

Are you sure you didnt put the Os on the other drive the 500, after all it did show both drives for install?
      sigpic

Comment

It sounds to me like it somehow either installed the OS on the other drive, or what.

I'm not sure what advice to give at the moment, and considering I just woke up a couple minutes ago :) You can use the latest Ultimate Boot CD for Windows, if you have another PC you can use to make the CD. It has a ton of utilities on it including file recovery ones. I used it to diagnose the old laptop drive my dad was trying desperately to recover because it had all his Genealogy stuff on it, and edned up having to find and rebuild the MBR, rewrite the partition, and a couple of other things. It was fully recovered in about an hour.
        "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
        Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Originally posted by Spulat View Post
          It sounds to me like it somehow either installed the OS on the other drive, or what.

I'm not sure what advice to give at the moment, and considering I just woke up a couple minutes ago :) You can use the latest Ultimate Boot CD for Windows, if you have another PC you can use to make the CD. It has a ton of utilities on it including file recovery ones. I used it to diagnose the old laptop drive my dad was trying desperately to recover because it had all his Genealogy stuff on it, and edned up having to find and rebuild the MBR, rewrite the partition, and a couple of other things. It was fully recovered in about an hour.

Thats a great disk to use, if you are familiar with it.
          sigpic

Comment

I had this same problem installing windows server 2000. we had 2x 320GB drives and it saw them as 130GB. After installing SP4 it turned out there was a registry key that had to be modified. I dont remember what exactly the key was. Ill try to find it later and get back to you all. I remember after I did that everything was perfect.

Comment

Thanks guys, I havent had a chance to test this out yet but will tonight.

However to be clear, I had both drives connected at first and saw them both as 130GB, decided that I didn't want to make a mistake and format the wrong drive so I physically disconnected the 500gb before installing windows. The 160gb drive is working fine and has the OS on it. The 500gb is showing up in control panel and in my computer but is saying it needs to be formated (something I cant do).

I will have to play around some more but is there anyway that a re-install with a slipstreamed XP sp2 would cure all this? I did a quick format of the c: during install, would a full on format have been better? Just looking for clues :row__691:

Comment

Well just to tidy this thread up I will post my final results

First a BIG thanks to UK-Warrior for his PM's with help and recomendations, top marks to him.

Here is what went wrong. Re-install of pre-sp1 XP forced new partitions onto the drive, this then resulted in me having no access to the files via windows.

UK warrior suggested Data Doctor NTFS recovery software which I used. It showed all the correct files and retrieved them. The software is a bit lacking in features and doesn't have the best layout but overall it was quick and it worked.

I now have all the data back though for some reason it had to re-name a folder and move the contents but left the original folder empty. Needless to say this caused some headaches until I found the re-named folder and the files in it.

So don't be lazy like me and slipstream in SP2 if you have an ancient XP disk

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X