The Cost of Running Your PC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cost of Running Your PC

Anandtech has an article up that looks at the real $$ cost of running your PC. Very interesting and lots of good info.

The Cost of Running Your PC

Pretty interesting when it takes about efficiency of a power supply and how much $$ it can save you over the long run if you use your computer more than a few hours a day.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: The Cost of Running Your PC

That is very helpful. Helps me disprove my dad's notion that my system sucks the full 520W capable output of my PSU (it only consumes about 300W).

My system falls between System 1 and System 2, so basing off of that my yearly cost is probably around $200. Not bad and probably lower since I only have it on for about 14 hours a day for about 5 days a week.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

For mundane tasks, I use my AA1. My desktop is on at least 16 hours a day.

Back in California, after I moved out of the apartment, a full month's no-Spulat electric bill came in, and it was nearly the same amount it is every month.

So in other words, my ex has a nasty habit of leaving lights on all over the place and leaving the 36" LCD TV on for the stupid dog when out of the apartment, things I regularly shut off. All but maybe 3 of the bulbs in the apartment are CFL. Yet when I left, and took not only my 16 hour a day PC with me (at least 4 of which would be gaming so the power draw would go up quite a bit esp on the 4870), but also my 19" LCD monitor and my 24/7 DVR PC, the power bill stayed the same.

So all in all, looks like both systems are pretty power-efficient. -And apparently, the power draw of both of these computers can be out-drawn by a television and a couple of Edison bulbs.
      "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
      Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Originally posted by Spulat View Post
        and leaving the 36" LCD TV on for the stupid dog when out of the apartment, things I regularly shut off.
        Dude, The Dog's gotta catch his favorite shows..like Flavor of Love and Hannity and Combs..
        |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
        ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...