Amazon Kindle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazon Kindle

I guess this e-book reading device has been out for a while, but for the first time, I've really taken an interest to it. It looks pretty amazing, and with my traveling all year long, I think it'd be a great way for me to easily get new books. Does anybody here have any hands on experience with one? Are they just a complete waste of money? BTW, I'm not looking at buying one right now, but might eventually get it if you guys give it rave reviews.

http://www.amazon.com
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Re: Amazon Kindle

Mine goes everywhere with me. Some folks can't justify the cost, but the volume of literature I consume makes this indispensable for me. Some complain about the buttons, page turning too easy. I literally had no issues after 5 minutes of use. My only complaints are the file structure (would love to just build my own folders) screen could be a bit bigger, and while glare is minimal, if you sit in the wrong spot it is annoying. There are enough reviews on Amazon to give you a good feel for its pros and cons, but I love mine and I wish I had my whole paper library on it. I wrote a document of useful code snips and queries I use often enough to need but not often enough to remember precisely and keep that on there for reference. Plenty of timeless classics to download for free for it, and some publishers release the first book or two in a series for free to get you hooked on an author, you just have to look around for those :)
    sigpic

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for the review. I'm even more interested in it now. I hear there are some alternatives coming out, such as this one from Sony. I wonder if I should hold off to compare the two.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF8OmtyHx-I[/media]

Comment

I've been considering an e-reader for a while. Here's a great comparison chart:
        http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
          I've been considering an e-reader for a while. Here's a great comparison chart:
          http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix
          Great link. Thanks! The Sony PRS-700 looks a little more feature-filled than the Kindle, and it seems to have a light too. I also like that it can display pdf. However, what kind of sells me on the Kindle is Amazons wireless download service. That sounds simply amazing, and their selection is unprecedented. I wonder if a newer version is slated to come out within the next year. It's cool to see how many other options there are out there. This electronic paper technology sounds simply amazing. I'm shocked I haven't heard much about it before. Where on earth have I been? I'd love to get some hands on experience with one at a store before purchasing, though.

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
            Awesome! Thanks for the review. I'm even more interested in it now. I hear there are some alternatives coming out, such as this one from Sony. I wonder if I should hold off to compare the two.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF8OmtyHx-I[/media]
            From the reviews I've read on the latest Sony PRS eReader, the screen's glare all but kills the improvements made. If you get one, get a anti-glare screen sticky film or suffer bad light glare when reading in the sun or in a well-lit room.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
              However, what kind of sells me on the Kindle is Amazons wireless download service.
              Yes, that, plus wireless Wikipedia access is really selling me on it, too. I know that I can kill some serious time just reading Wikipedia!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Yes, that, plus wireless Wikipedia access is really selling me on it, too. I know that I can kill some serious time just reading Wikipedia!
                Definitely! I also love the fact that it's not just wireless, but you don't need an internet hotspot either! It runs off the Sprint wireless signals, I believe. I wonder if a price drop is in the near future. If I have money left over after my Christmas shopping is done, I might just spring for one.

Comment

The wireless access on the kindle looks cool.

A while back an old woman at Costco was demonstrating a Sony reader. The problem was that the unit was frozen. Nothing I did would unfreeze it. She also told me that all books were free. I left her standing there with a broken reader and a head full of nonsense.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

Comment

For someone who travels a lot having hundreds of books in the device and thousands more available via the network plus newspapers, wikipedia, etc is great.
                    For all others IMO the price is too high - you'd have to read like 7 books a month for it to amortize and then you cannot sell the used copies you acquired. Once copyright is sorted out to benefit more than the publisher these things will really take off.

Comment

Many books are free: http://books.google.com/
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

was really hoping that there would be a deal on this and price would come down for thksgiving. I guess will have to wait for x-mas.
                        Cosi

Comment

Many books are free: http://books.google.com/
                          Wow! So many great books! That does it. I'm getting the kindle. Just not until Christmas is over. After buying my car and moving, I gotta fill the ol' bank accounts back up. Hopefully we'll see a price drop by January.

Comment

My favorite eReader: My iPhone. Lots and lots of books available, easy to read and navigate, it has wikipedia, it can read PDFs, you can download books wireless, it has a long battery life for just reading or listening to a book (in airplane mode) and it can play audio books as well. Plus it saves me from buying a Kindle :D
                            ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                            No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Rincewind View Post
                              My favorite eReader: My iPhone. Lots and lots of books available, easy to read and navigate, it has wikipedia, it can read PDFs, you can download books wireless, it has a long battery life for just reading or listening to a book (in airplane mode) and it can play audio books as well. Plus it saves me from buying a Kindle :D
                              Yes, but so hard on your eyes compared to e-paper.
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X