Steam on a New Computer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam on a New Computer

I'm planning on a getting a new computer really soon and have a question or two about Steam.

I already have quite a few games bought from Steam, is transferring those games to the new computer as easy as installing Steam, logging in, then installing? Any advice is appreciated.

Re: Steam on a New Computer

Yes, loggin into Steam from a new computer will automatically download and install the old games. This only works with official games such as CSS, Left 4 Dead and Half life, mods you'll have to find again.
    |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Sure is! It's so awesome. I was on the road with my laptop, and decided to install Steam to check out new games. Then it showed me everything I've ever had on the account and offered to download the games. They're all fully playable and I never needed the cd's to install or play them. Steam rules.
      "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by DrBeat View Post
        I'm planning on a getting a new computer really soon and have a question or two about Steam.

I already have quite a few games bought from Steam, is transferring those games to the new computer as easy as installing Steam, logging in, then installing? Any advice is appreciated.
        I would first backup the games you have on your old computer. Doing that is as simple as: File > Backup Games...

Then just choose which games you want to backup and if you want the files in CD or DVD size. Then just burn them to a CD/DVD or transfer them to a portable hard drive/USB drive.

Then on your new computer after you've installed steam, you can double-click the backup.exe file to restore your game backups.

Saves you the downloading and waiting time.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

That's an awesome feature, thanks Acreo! Thanks everyone for the help! This transition will be easier then I expected.

Comment

if you have a decent sized external, or have a way of xfer from one comp to the other... just copy your steamapps folder to your new one.... boom, done