Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why won't this setup run CS:S? (For a friend)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why won't this setup run CS:S? (For a friend)

Hello all. A buddy is trying to play Source but he says his computer runs the game at 10 frames per second. These are the settings he gave me:

Radeon x300
    1 GB RAM
    Intel Pentium 3 3.4ghz

And also he said, "...and when I download the game, it causes my computer to freeze for seconds at a time."

I'm not sure what to make of this, and why it won't play CS:S for him. Isn't that card a dx9 card? It should handle Source, right? Thanks for any help.

Re: Why won't this setup run CS:S? (For a friend)

well an x300 is the extreme budget card from 4 generations ago, 128mb as well...

Originally posted by review site
    Don't expect to do a lot of gaming on the X300. You are not going to be able to play new games like Crysis or Call of Juarez, but I did install Steam on the X300. I was able to play Counter-Strike: Source and Half-Life 2 with low settings and a low resolution.
    and the above quote was with a dual core and 2gb of ram.....

im guessing the reviewer was getting less than 20fps as well... if your friend really wants to play source games, he might wanna splurge 30 bucks on 2gb of ram (2x1gb sticks) and 80 bucks on a decent current gen graphics card... nothing too fancy because that p4 cpu is gonna be a bottle neck real quick..

my guess on when he is downloading the game..... load screen to a server maybe? that does it on the best of computers that x300 is comparable to a radeon 9500 (the gen before the x300... if it puts it in perspective a lil better

im gonna go ahead and assume its an AGP based on the age of the tech...
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...rd,2064-6.html
    top one... 80 bucks, decent specs, if it is by chance pcie... flip back 3 pages and there is another decent $80 card
    powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

Re: Why won't this setup run CS:S? (For a friend)

Originally posted by Capt Splendid View Post
      I'm not sure what to make of this, and why it won't play CS:S for him. Isn't that card a dx9 card? It should handle Source, right? Thanks for any help.
      Just because a card is "DirectX 9" doesn't mean it'll handle DX9 names well. Often games (like CS:S) come with minimal or recommended system specifications usually found on the bottom/back of the box, in the readme file, and on the game's official website.

Unfortunately, Steam doesn't mention a specific graphics card chipset as a minimum or recommended.

Originally posted by SteamPowered.com

Minimum: 1.2 GHz Processor, 256MB RAM, DirectX 7 level graphics card, Windows 2000/XP, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection

Recommended: 2.4 GHz Processor, 512MB RAM, DirectX 9 level graphics card, Windows 2000/XP, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection
      So we have to look at Left 4 Dead for the minimum and recommend graphics chipset:

Originally posted by SteamPowered.com
      Minimum: Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 1 GB, 128 MB, Shader model 2.0, ATI 9600, NVidia 6600 or better, At least 7.5 GB of free space, DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card, Microsoft Windows XP / Vista / Vista64
      Recommended: Intel core 2 duo 2.4GHz, 1 GB, Shader model 3.0, NVidia 7600, ATI X1600 or better, Microsoft Windows XP / Vista / Vista64
      If you know the chronological ordering of the past few generations of graphics card chipsets, then you'll know that the X300/X500/X800s came right after the Radeon 9000 series of cards. The X300 is not much better than a old Radeon 9200. Knowing that, the X300 doesn't even meet the minimum requirements even though it is a DX9 card (which is rated for DX9, but only for basic graphics and video playback and not much more).
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
      X